Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does the gamecube iso have to be copied to the sd before playing? Because on every loader i use this happens and i find myself waiting for hours in order to play a game because of the slow copying speeds of wiiflow. Please Help!!!

Only if you installed DIOS-MIOS Lite and not the normal one. Also make sure you are using the very latest wiiflow version 4.2.1.

Reactions: TudorBlue

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only if you installed DIOS-MIOS Lite and not the normal one. Also make sure you are using the very latest wiiflow version 4.2.1.

I used the full version I think, I used DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad, RVL-cMIOS-v65535(v10)_WiiGator_WiiPower_v0.2.wad and the DM Booter Forwarder Dark - DMLF.wad, what can I do to redo this? Thanks FIX94, your help is very much appreciated

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used the full version I think, I used DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad, RVL-cMIOS-v65535(v10)_WiiGator_WiiPower_v0.2.wad and the DM Booter Forwarder Dark - DMLF.wad, what can I do to redo this? Thanks FIX94, your help is very much appreciated

RVL-cMIOS-v65535(v10)_WiiGator_WiiPower_v0.2.wad just overwrites DIOS-MIOS, both go into the same slot, thats the problem.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so can i just install DIOS-MIOS Lite??? or do i need to unistall DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad first?? I nstaaled using ios236. that ok?

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so can i just install DIOS-MIOS Lite??? or do i need to unistall DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad first?? I nstaaled using ios236. that ok?

why do you want Lite? Thats for SD Card. Just use the real DIOS-MIOS one, thats for USB. Also uninstalling doesnt matter, you can also just let wiiflow do the job, just move the diosmios wad into the "wiiflow/mios" folder and rename it to "dm.wad" and the diosmios lite wad into "wiiflow/mios" and rename it to "dml.wad", then wiiflow will use diosmios and diosmios lite depending on if you use sd or usb to play gamecube games.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have done. I want to use the one HDD for both wii and GC games. I dont want to have to store my gc games on a sd card as I only have a 2gb one.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why do you want Lite? Thats for SD Card. Just use the real DIOS-MIOS one, thats for USB. Also uninstalling doesnt matter, you can also just let wiiflow do the job, just move the diosmios wad into the "wiiflow/mios" folder and rename it to "dm.wad" and the diosmios lite wad into "wiiflow/mios" and rename it to "dml.wad", then wiiflow will use diosmios and diosmios lite depending on if you use sd or usb to play gamecube games.

I cant find the wiiflow/mios folder, I dont have it. I have checked the wiiflow folder on the root and the wiiflow folder in the app folder. Should I just create a mios folder??? Thanks

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I cant find the wiiflow/mios folder, I dont have it. I have checked the wiiflow folder on the root and the wiiflow folder in the app folder. Should I just create a mios folder??? Thanks

you surely are using the latest wiiflow 4.2.1? Also yes if its not there then you can create it in the wiiflow folder on the root.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just checked and its 4.1, tried to updated manually, now on 4.2.1. the only thing is that when i open up wiiflow, all the games are just scrolling through without me even touching the wiimote. why is this and how do i fix it?

TechMage299

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I manage to get Super Smash Bros. Melee working but it'll randomly crash either when the "Ready" timer counts down or in the middle of a match, any ideas?
2gb USB Fat32 16kb

IanAlbarn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, I haven't done anything to my Wii yet, because it's a Family Edition Wii. I want to know first if I can use this method from this thread to play Gamecube games without a Gamecube controller ('cause you know, the Family Edition Wii doesn't have GameCube controller ports). I see that it's specified on the requirements, but I want to know if it's mandatory.

mooters01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running a 4.3U Letterbomb using the 436 Wiiflow Version when ever I try to get my flash drive to play GameCube games (Like it used to, I had it running fine before.) that were installed with DMToolbox with a Raw format and a cluster of 32k. They worked fine, until yesterday when I was installing a game to my 32gig flashdrive from wiiflow on my wii, and when the game was half through installing it was unplugged because my roommate stepped on the cord. Anyways, now the option "Game Partition" isn't allowing the option USB anymore. What can I do to fix this?

jinyung2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I haven't done anything to my Wii yet, because it's a Family Edition Wii. I want to know first if I can use this method from this thread to play Gamecube games without a Gamecube controller ('cause you know, the Family Edition Wii doesn't have GameCube controller ports). I see that it's specified on the requirements, but I want to know if it's mandatory.

I have this same wii. added DMLite to my wad folder in the SD card and used the DMToolBox to convert iso and placed it in the SD:/games folder. I used homebrew channel to launch and used DMBooter to run and on the wii the game shows up on the list. Upon trying to launch though I get a black screen and then the wii resets and comes back to the main menu. Have I done siomething wrong? or is my Wii (the no GC compatibility Wii) not supported? Please help!

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
can someone provide the latest dios mios lite? Cause the official site for it just shows a blank section without any links

Porkman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get DiosMios to work but can't seem to get it working in the end. Can somebody confirm my error please?

Here's what I have:

4.3u softmodded wii
HBC 1.10 IOS58 V24.32
CIOS d2x v6 65535 installed on [ios 236, 248, 249] There is also another older cios installed on 254 it seems...
DiosMios 2.10

USBloader gx works fine and can play wii wbfs files perfectly.
Diosmios Booter can recognize my games and shows them by name (yes they are properly named with gameid in the usb drive as well )
USBloader gx can even see the gc games and displays them with over art and all.

My issue is that every time I install the Dios Mios wad onto my wii, it replaced the MIOS (as expected) but will not allow me to play either Retail or ISO games even when using compatible booters. Now I want to make it clear that the USBdevice holds the games only, not the actual homebrew apps. The apps are being used via the SD card (2 gig).

When I attempt to play a GC backup, I get the "copy game to SD message", even on beta versions of usbloader gx. and even when i manage to get past said error, I get a black screen. Diosmios booter always shoots me a black screen for both ISO files and retail discs. Though when selecting ISOs the error varies..I'll get black screen or a system shutdown. I was under the impression that if you are running gamecube backups off of the usb device, that you were to use Dios Mios and not DML. Does this apply to where the app is being played off of as well? Since the apps are running off of the SD card?

Also if this matters, my usb device is properly formatted to Fat32 and cluster size. The device is a Seagate Backup Portable 1TB. Any help is greatly appreciated as this has been stumping me for months.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a problem i did all the steps and got dios mios to read my Iso, i used Gamecube Iso compress for mi iso but when i try to run it it only shows the gamecube symbol and dios mios after a few seconds screen goes black and nothing shows using USB BTW anything i got to do in configuration? it is Need for speed hot persuit2 thank you!

zemunasu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the directions, set primary, fat32bin games folder, each game has its own folder with it titled game.iso in each side. for some reason configurable usb loader plays them no problem, but I can never never seem to get usb loader gx to see the games. I prefer GX's interface much more, but only my wii games show up. it shows the amount of space free on my fat32 partition by default, but none of the games, this is so weird.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Downloads page is broken. Looking for DIOS MIOS preferably, but I'll take DM LITE.
Anyone?

edit: found a mirror for
DIOS MOIS 2.9....
Still is the GoogleCode page going to be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet