Hacking How to run PS2 disc games?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a copy of Starwars battlefront 2 on PS2*after the ISO just kept freezing after I get my mission objective) But when I tried running the physical disc I just got a black screen. It's a greatest hits edition if that matters.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a copy of Starwars battlefront 2 on PS2*after the ISO just kept freezing after I get my mission objective) But when I tried running the physical disc I just got a black screen. It's a greatest hits edition if that matters.
Gotta be the fat PS3 if you're going legit... not sure about if it's a hacked ps3.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use OpenPS2 to play the game via smb on your PS2, compatibility is pretty good, so maybe you can check that out, it needs FMCB installed on your memory card though...

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can also use OpenPS2 to play the game via smb on your PS2, compatibility is pretty good, so maybe you can check that out, it needs FMCB installed on your memory card though...
FMCB? what's that? never heard of openPS2.

jy253

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks will try this. I have the same problem with mafia iso on ps3 slim. It freezes on the on the main screen then had to force shutdown ps3

jy253

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It looks like you will need to add the config.

See here: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Try adding this .config when loading the game: https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/sys/CONFIG/SOFT/SLUS_212.40.CONFIG

Just place it in the same folder with the .iso file. Rename it and add .config like Star Wars Battlefront II.ISO.CONFIG if your ISO file is named Star Wars Battlefront II.ISO

I tried that with just an ISO of the game before and it didn't work. Also my copy is the greatest hits version will it make a difference? what if i'm using disc?

jy253

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that with just an ISO of the game before and it didn't work. Also my copy is the greatest hits version will it make a difference? what if i'm using disc?

As long as it is SLUS-21240. Have you verified that it was able to rip the ISO successfully? I don't think the disc works on the slim. I have success with this .config fix using rebug on cobra mode. What's your setup?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as it is SLUS-21240. Have you verified that it was able to rip the ISO successfully? I don't think the disc works on the slim. I have success with this .config fix using rebug on cobra mode. What's your setup?

um well the first ISO was just something I got online, it would play but when I would go into the campaign as soon as the guy who gives your objective speaks it freezes shortly after with the audio still playing. So the other day I got a physical copy for like 5 bucks just to try and I just got a black screen when trying to directly load it.

I tried the thing with the config file in the past and it didn't seem to help it/fix it.

Not sure what you mean by "what's your setup" but i'm running ferrox cobra CFW on a slim.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
um well the first ISO was just something I got online, it would play but when I would go into the campaign as soon as the guy who gives your objective speaks it freezes shortly after with the audio still playing. So the other day I got a physical copy for like 5 bucks just to try and I just got a black screen when trying to directly load it.

I tried the thing with the config file in the past and it didn't seem to help it/fix it.

Not sure what you mean by "what's your setup" but i'm running ferrox cobra CFW on a slim.
The physical version is of no use to you as the PS3 slim cant read ps2 discs only early version ps3 phats can read ps2 discs.

jy253

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm not familiar with ferrox and the use of config files.

Have you tried this config file just now? https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/sys/CONFIG/SOFT/SLUS_212.40.CONFIG

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah that's what I meant. I'm not familiar with ferrox and the use of config files.

Have you tried this config file just now? https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/sys/CONFIG/SOFT/SLUS_212.40.CONFIG

I'll try that, something weird happened though. I copied the game and then my Multiman XMB got stuck and kept scrolling where my "retro" section was and my PS3 got SUPER loud, it kinda scared me so I pulled the power plug out.

Trying again, but I also see a "create iso" option so i'm hoping maybe that's what I needed to do in the first place.

Gonna try and move the config file where the iso is and report back.

EDIT: tried renaming the file exactly to what it was called https://gyazo.com/df07791dc838dc36253a48620d27f0a4

Webman wasn't seeing it in my list of PS2 games so I just loaded multiman up and tried loading it from there and it loaded but it froze again..

EDIT 2: I tried exiting the game and then reloading again but this time I checked webman's PS2 folder and found the game this time. Launched it and...no freezes! as of the time of this writing though, so i'm gonna report back if it freezes again..

The framerate seems a little choppy though or is it just me?

EDIT 3: It froze while I paused so I tried resetting the game and this time it froze in the same place again(shortly after getting my objective) So I tried loading it again through webman..

Nope fucking froze AGAIN. This is really starting to piss me off now at this rate I may as well buy a PS2 because it seems like no matter what I do this game doesn't want to work..

Last edited by kbf,
Reactions: Alosho

NTICompass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta be the fat PS3 if you're going legit... not sure about if it's a hacked ps3.

I've got a slim PS3 (CECH-2501A) and it seems that with REBUG 4.81.2 REX (and COBRA), I can put a PS2 disc in the drive and it sees it on the XMB as a "PS2 Format Disc", but launching it just gives a black screen and I need to hard powerdown the PS3. Interestingly, I can use multiMAN to make an ISO of my PS2 disc, then I can mount it and run it from the XMB.

So, I'm guessing ripping the PS2 disc to an ISO is the only way to play games off of their original PS2 discs on my slim PS3?

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got a slim PS3 (CECH-2501A) and it seems that with REBUG 4.81.2 REX (and COBRA), I can put a PS2 disc in the drive and it sees it on the XMB as a "PS2 Format Disc", but launching it just gives a black screen and I need to hard powerdown the PS3. Interestingly, I can use multiMAN to make an ISO of my PS2 disc, then I can mount it and run it from the XMB.

So, I'm guessing ripping the PS2 disc to an ISO is the only way to play games off of their original PS2 discs on my slim PS3?
I would also like to know the answer to this? looks like slims can't play directly from disc ps2 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone