Tutorial  Updated

How to use a Keyboard/Controller on your 3DS using kit-kat

If you get an error on kit-kat, post the error on kit-kat's thread not here.

Video Tutorial

Controller Files
Credit: @KanterZ

Text Tutorial

1. Boot up your 3DS,
  2. Install this CIA (with FBI) if you haven't already,
  3. Open the application just installed,
  4. THEN open Boot NTR Selector,
  5. Open kit-kat, give it a few seconds to try find your IP, If it has found your IP, Skip step 6,
  6. Haven't found the IP? Checkout this tutorial on manually obtaining the IP,
  7. Go to Tab 3 and mess around using a Controller or Keyboard. (F2 = Keyboard Controls, F3 = Gamepad Controls)

Confirmed Supported Controllers

• PS4 (Using DS4Windows)
  • PS3 (Using SCPToolkit)
  • Xbox One (Using USB Charging Cable - No Software Needed)
  • Logitech Gamepad F710 (No Software Needed)
Confirmed support for a controller not listed here?
Let me know below!

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can't get this to work no matter what. Go into input redirection and press F2 to check out the contols to change them on Joy2key, but it almost never opens up the page and when it does, I press a key corresponding to a button and the key changes to none.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posting to mention that GC controllers work easily via JoyToKey with this small piece of hardware (Wii U adapters kinda work, but make it complicated):
universal_usb_converter_ft8d91.jpg

the device is simply called a "Universal USB Converter" and is advertised to support GC, PS2, and XBox (the old kind from before they just used a USB end for the controller)

Rid1_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Happened to me too, my keyboard inputs were recognized but my 360 controller wasn't. Any solution?
Sadly nothing dude, I gave up. My reason for using a controller was o3ds hurt my hand lately.
Managed to nab a 2DS for cheap so I just use that. Please let me know if you find out anything!

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so input redirection doesn't work in SuMo... but menu and other games are fine.
It does work: you just need to patch out the switch to NFC when not in the Festival Plaza. There's an option for that in one of Nanquitas' Sun/moon NTR plugins, though most other codes in it wont work on v1.1. Another option is sending the NFC patch via kitkat without actually connecting (use the button immediately to the right of the 'connect' button - looks like part of the connect button. For best result, go to the home menu and wait for the internet connection before sending the patch)

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so I have no idea why this works, but it does. If you get the white screen, despite having ani-virus and firewall disbled, download uwpstreamer and connect that way. then try kit-kat again. its worked every time for me.

kimmy2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone managed to map the D-pad to the right analog stick? I tried to do it with JoyToKey, so as default in InputRedirection the D-pad keys are as follow:

T
F H
G

So I map the right analog stick to correspond to the above (T is UP etc etc)

I test this in notepad, so if I press the directions on the right analog stick, it will type those corresponding letter (TFHG), which indicate it works?

However, when I load up the N3DS, the right analog stick does nothing. What am I missing or am I doing this all wrong?

Please help! thanks XD

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to map the D-pad to the right analog stick? I tried to do it with JoyToKey, so as default in InputRedirection the D-pad keys are as follow:

T
F H
G

So I map the right analog stick to correspond to the above (T is UP etc etc)

I test this in notepad, so if I press the directions on the right analog stick, it will type those corresponding letter (TFHG), which indicate it works?

However, when I load up the N3DS, the right analog stick does nothing. What am I missing or am I doing this all wrong?

Please help! thanks XD

It all tends to be a pain. if kit-kat picks up your controller, it gets dibs over joytokey, so nothing happens.

Reactions: kimmy2000

Sega dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A PSP Go with FuSa GamePad works. No modifications to the configuration for InputRedirection or FuSa GamePad configuration required. Just make sure it's in analog mode (PSP WLAN switch off) instead of digital mode, otherwise the dpad on the PSP will act as the circle pad on the 3DS and the analog nub on the PSP will act as the dpad on the 3DS. Should work with other PSP models too. Kinda of pointless, but it's something I wanted to try.

yukiyuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is there a way to set up sensitivity to the Circle pad? since I am unable to walk when playing smash 4. I am using a PS4 controller.

alarmclock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I use it. It doesn't work when I play games for example Smash4 it works on the Home Menu but what ever game I try to play it on it just disconnect I need help.

This isn't working with...for me, but if I go to the home menu it works fine.

Having the same problem as these two. I can connect just fine and use my PS4 controller to move around in the menu, but as soon as I launch Monster Hunter Generations kitkat will disconnect and I can't use my controller anymore. Once disconnected I can't connect against until I reboot my 3DS. Tried it with other applications as well and get the same problem.

Does anyone know what the problem/solution is? Using an old 3DS if it matters.

Last edited by alarmclock,

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the same problem as these two. I can connect just fine and use my PS4 controller to move around in the menu, but as soon as I launch Monster Hunter Generations kitkat will disconnect and I can't use my controller anymore. Once disconnected I can't connect against until I reboot my 3DS. Tried it with other applications as well and get the same problem.

Does anyone know what the problem/solution is? Using an old 3DS if it matters.
Your 'problem' is extended memory mode... You can read how to use NTR for those games on the NTR selector page on the forums here.

alarmclock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your 'problem' is extended memory mode... You can read how to use NTR for those games on the NTR selector page on the forums here.

Thanks for the reply. Read up about it and things make a lot more sense now.

I got NTR 3.4 Preview 5 working and use NTR Mode 3 now. I can bring up the NTR menu now in MH Gen so I know it's working.

However, kit-kat throws me an error saying it's unable to connect. I'm guessing it's a compatability issue. Is there a work around?

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Read up about it and things make a lot more sense now.

I got NTR 3.4 Preview 5 working and use NTR Mode 3 now. I can bring up the NTR menu now in MH Gen so I know it's working.

However, kit-kat throws me an error saying it's unable to connect. I'm guessing it's a compatability issue. Is there a work around?
you just need to be connected to wifi for it to work. Search for a onl;ine room but dont pick one (yet) to make the game connect to the internet, thus letting you use Kitkat.

Local connections/not being connected to the internet will make NTR be unable to use any online connections/features. Likewise streaming from NTR will block connecting to a local 3DS and will disable streetpass for the duration.

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posting to mention that GC controllers work easily via JoyToKey with this small piece of hardware (Wii U adapters kinda work, but make it complicated):
universal_usb_converter_ft8d91.jpg

the device is simply called a "Universal USB Converter" and is advertised to support GC, PS2, and XBox (the old kind from before they just used a USB end for the controller)

Is it native support, or via xpadder?

Xpadder is a no go like games on smash, since you can't adjust sensitivity (so moving would just be arrow left or right, It's always a run/dash. You can't walk and it's difficult to do tilts instead of smash attacks or dash attacks)

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it native support, or via xpadder?

Xpadder is a no go like games on smash, since you can't adjust sensitivity (so moving would just be arrow left or right, It's always a run/dash. You can't walk and it's difficult to do tilts instead of smash attacks or dash attacks)
It's native. You get the full range and none of the bugs/difficult setup from the jurry-rigged third party driver for using the Wii U adapter. Joy-to-key on the other hand...

Now if Kitkat gets an interface/dropdown/etc. to select which controller to use, then there should be no problems at all using it as native

Itachi_hoshigaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't get this to work no matter what. Go into input redirection and press F2 to check out the contols to change them on Joy2key, but it almost never opens up the page and when it does, I press a key corresponding to a button and the key changes to none.

You have to press the "esc" key first... I know, It took me a while to figure it out, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ?draeh ton uoy evaH