HTC reveals the Vive Pro VR headset

Screenshot-442-800x488.png

Two weeks after extensive rumors and leaks, and two years after the successful launch of the virtual reality headset, the Vive, HTC has announced that a new successor is on the horizon. Officially revealed at CES 2018, the new piece of hardware will be called the Vive Pro, and will release sometime in Q1 2018. Added and upgraded features will include things such as screen resolution of 2880x1600--an immense improvement at a 78% increase, built in headphones, a headset strap which will help keep the machine balanced, an additional microphone, and an outward facing camera.

p2uyuf18wjk91dzcpzze.png

Also announced was the Vive Wireless Adaptor, which can wireless connect your Vive or Vive Pro to a computer nearby. This will be released sometime this summer. Though third party technology to do this has existed, the official adaptor will utilize Intel WiGig technology. HTC did not mention what the price of the Vive Pro will be, nor did they mention what PC specs will be required to run games on the updated hardware.

jihixwwiuq4vwyyrzyrs.jpg

:arrow: Source

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better resolution means lower screen door effect, though
PSVR has the lowest resolution of all 3 big VR headsets, but has the least screen door effect. You're still right though.
And I agree with others in saying it should have had an increase in FOV as well.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to 8k in each eye. Hopefully within the next 5 years or so.
Getting something that can display it is entirely different from something that can drive it. We can't even drive single 4K VR right now, mind you. Pimax 8K is two 4K panels driven by one 1440p signal, upscaled, and alternating frames between eyes. The Pimax 5K is native 1440p alternating between two 1440p panels. That's about as well as we can drive VR right now before you're limiting it to the 1080tis and Titans.

Reactions: osaka35

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This thing looks ridiculous... And ridiculously expensive.
I guess that depends on your perspective. Originally the entire Vive system (2 lighthouses, 2 controllers, HMD, breakout box, cables) was $800. About the same price or less compared to a new iPhone, and all you get is the phone. Vive Pro will obviously have the option to buy it piece by piece, and IMO they'd be insane to price the HMD-only at more than $400. It'd have to be $300 or less to interest me at all, though I will be buying the new 2.0 lighthouses.

D

Deleted-379826

Vive just doesn't give me that vibe you know? Is it any good?
IMO, I really enjoy my Rift, a really great system. The only way I could say it was worth it to someone is if it were more higher rez and easier to run because in mostly media, it can be quite pixelated and grain is even more obvious.

DOOM VFR already needs the minimum requirements of a 1080, at more than double the rez, I can't imagine the system you'd need.

Reactions: DarthDub

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Joe88,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting something that can display it is entirely different from something that can drive it. We can't even drive single 4K VR right now, mind you. Pimax 8K is two 4K panels driven by one 1440p signal, upscaled, and alternating frames between eyes. The Pimax 5K is native 1440p alternating between two 1440p panels. That's about as well as we can drive VR right now before you're limiting it to the 1080tis and Titans.
Aye, agreed. We're progressing at a good pace. I'm just hoping in around 5 years to be in a position where it's possible to drive 16k :P Dreams upon dreams, I know. All I've got to experience is a galaxy S7, so I'm just hoping my next experience is a huge leap forward.

D

Deleted-379826

Thats odd because I was running it fine on a r9 390

This site says an HTC rep told them it has the same min specs as the old vive
https://uploadvr.com/ces-2018-hands-on-with-vive-pro/
It runs pretty bad on my 1060, so I'd say it's more a mix between 1060-1070 for minmum specs although how can it be possible for it to have the same minimum specs if the resolution is over a 70% increase? I don't think it sounds very possible to just render more pixels for free?

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It runs pretty bad on my 1060, so I'd say it's more a mix between 1060-1070 for minmum specs although how can it be possible for it to have the same minimum specs if the resolution is over a 70% increase? I don't think it sounds very possible to just render more pixels for free?
It runs great on my original PS4.

I'm partially kidding. I've heard the PC port was a mixed bag.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice, but Probably gonna hold off tell there's a 4k model. Then I won't have to buy a 4k monitor to play my games, but I can call in sick too.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on buying another HTC Vive along with a new computer although I am now thinking of the upgrade. HMD-only? C'mon.. The family enjoys the Vive and we've spoken about two setups. I feel like back when I first bought a 3ds and it came with no charger. Tf.
A new Vive to have two? Or just an upgrade?

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released