HTC reveals the Vive Pro VR headset

Screenshot-442-800x488.png

Two weeks after extensive rumors and leaks, and two years after the successful launch of the virtual reality headset, the Vive, HTC has announced that a new successor is on the horizon. Officially revealed at CES 2018, the new piece of hardware will be called the Vive Pro, and will release sometime in Q1 2018. Added and upgraded features will include things such as screen resolution of 2880x1600--an immense improvement at a 78% increase, built in headphones, a headset strap which will help keep the machine balanced, an additional microphone, and an outward facing camera.

p2uyuf18wjk91dzcpzze.png

Also announced was the Vive Wireless Adaptor, which can wireless connect your Vive or Vive Pro to a computer nearby. This will be released sometime this summer. Though third party technology to do this has existed, the official adaptor will utilize Intel WiGig technology. HTC did not mention what the price of the Vive Pro will be, nor did they mention what PC specs will be required to run games on the updated hardware.

jihixwwiuq4vwyyrzyrs.jpg

:arrow: Source

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Makes the PSVR look silly, at 1080p for BOTH eyes.

Still looks bulky af. :( I thought they were supposed to be working on slimming it down. It looks like a first-gen headset.

And are you sure you want a high-speed router strapped to your head? (health-wise, I mean)

Last edited by DSpider,
Reactions: orangy57

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Vive just doesn't give me that vibe you know? Is it any good?
The whole system is great, but the HMD is a little heavier than it needs to be and I'm ready for an HMD with better FoV (Vive is 110 degrees). Resolution isn't even really an issue since you can supersample.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Better resolution means lower screen door effect, though
Even gen1 it's really easy for me to look past SDE and not see it at all. Regardless, the best thing to do is increase FoV and resolution to maintain PPI but still be a noticeable upgrade. The Pimax 5K is two 1440p panels and 200 degrees FoV. IMO that's a sweet spot for current PC VR. I'd be fine with the FoV a little lower at around 180, too. Problem with Vive's 110 is that you have to turn your head for everything, moving your eyes you just see black edges.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...