Hulu comes to the Nintendo Switch

IMG_5471.PNG

Releasing with hardly any fanfare or notice, the video streaming app Hulu will be soon available on the Nintendo Switch eShop. It was listed alongside the games that were to be released today by Nintendo itself, and should be downloadable once the store refreshes at 12PM ET. This marks the first video streaming service for the console, as the Nintendo Switch did not launch with any media subscription apps.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If your TV is old enough to not have that kind of services, I almost doubt it has an HDMI in /s
My TV has that. My XB1 that is connected to it also does, as does my iMac that is connected to that TV too, as well as my phone.
I just want to have that in my Switch also, it is another portable device with a big screen that I can use, e.g. when I'm lying in my bed. Problem?

Also, I really hope that whenever they bring YouTube they implement sharing videos to YouTube, like you can in XB1. Though I doubt that will happen.

D

Deleted User

Now we need Netflix and Youtube and we're sorted! Hope these apps work in both Portable & Docked mode!

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned, not everyone has a TV that can play Hulu or any streaming services for that matter. As long as you have a dock or something equivalent, you can make any TV a Hulu (and hopefully more) TV. Even if you were forced to use your smartphone hotspot, the Switch is most likely going have the bigger screen. You can also get a car mount, so now you don't even have to hold the Switch.
A Chrome Cast is a much more affordable way to Hulu, and you control it with your smartphone, laptop, anything. And you must have a really old TV to have this situation in the first place. As for in the car, do you really watch Hulu in the car? How many times in a year are you a passenger in your car? You probably don't go on many roadtrips. It's a distraction to the driver, too. Only place this could really work is on a bus or airplane. I mean if it works for you congrats, but I don't think there is a real need for video streaming apps on the Switch.

Last edited by aykay55,
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Chrome Cast is a much more affordable way to Hulu, and you control it with your smartphone, laptop, anything. And you must have a really old TV to have this situation in the first place. As for in the car, do you really watch Hulu in the car? How many times in a year are you a passenger in your car? You probably don't go on many roadtrips. It's a distraction to the driver, too. Only place this could really work is on a bus or airplane. I mean if it works for you congrats, but I don't think there is a real need for video streaming apps on the Switch.
Good thing it will be optional. The people who don't think there is a real need for streaming apps, can just not get it.

Reactions: duffmmann

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have hulu to watch anime, but i stopped, not enough anime that interest me. I just hope the volume is better for the switch than wii u, the game pad had such bad audio. I needed to use a speaker just to even call it good. Still least we have SOMETHING to put that 5GHZ AC wifi to use, watching HD videos. :P

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netflix said they have already developed the Switch app, "all that is preventing a release is the go-ahead from Nintendo itself".

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...for_switch_all_it_needs_is_nintendos_go-ahead

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, maybe Nintendo is making sure the app is 100% unexploitable, they don't want the possibility of an exploit and playing it safe for now. Just a guess.
it's not crunchy roll, or netflix, or hulu they have to worry about, it's youtube they need to be concerned about

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it out. It's terrible to control. The layout is really nice but if you could actually USE it without a controller, it would be much better. No, you can't use the touchscreen.

wtf.

Does Hulu allow your phone to sync up to it like all the YouTube apps do? If not, they should get on that, back when i used the Youtube app on the standard Wii it was nice to be able to use your phone as a second screen to queue up videos and search, functioning very similar to how chromecast does when connected to the android YouTube app on our phones.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Hulu allow your phone to sync up to it like all the YouTube apps do? If not, they should get on that, back when i used the Youtube app on the standard Wii it was nice to be able to use your phone as a second screen to queue up videos and search, functioning very similar to how chromecast does when connected to the android YouTube app on our phones.
Not sure yet. Haven't really explored it much. I doubt it though since it would have to emulate a cast device, doubt they'd implement that.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure yet. Haven't really explored it much. I doubt it though since it would have to emulate a cast device, doubt they'd implement that.

Suppose that's a good point, I forget that Google owns Youtube, so it makes sense that they would already have the code to quickly implement casting into the YouTube app for every device they put it on.

Reactions: dpad_5678

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took them long enough.
Now let's hope Netflix, Youtube and a browser are on the way as well...
So we can use them for exploits :^)
I'm really not looking forward to exploits myself, at least not this early. It's a great system with plenty of support. Fans are loving every bit and Nintendo is the loving our money. I'm sure homebrew would be great also. I just don't want to see pirated games and such, so early on.

Fronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My TV has that. My XB1 that is connected to it also does, as does my iMac that is connected to that TV too, as well as my phone.
I just want to have that in my Switch also, it is another portable device with a big screen that I can use, e.g. when I'm lying in my bed. Problem?

Also, I really hope that whenever they bring YouTube they implement sharing videos to YouTube, like you can in XB1. Though I doubt that will happen.
I mean you can share video and pictures to Twitter and Facebook right now, so why not video to Youtube?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head