Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

humblebundle128.jpg

Humble Bundle, the PC game and software retailer that's well-known for giving some of it's proceeds to charity, will now be joining IGN's parent company, according to a press release today. Humble Bundle claims that the acquisition won't be affecting what Humble Bundle currently does, and will only assist them by providing more funding for the company. Humble will now be a part of Ziff Davis, a larger corporation that currently owns other properties like PC Magazine, IGN, Speedtest, and more.

John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our “big idea” was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.

:arrow: Source

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You obviously dont want to listen anyway and made up your mind already. You make a much bigger deal out of it as it actually is.
I have many more bundles games and so on where you get both of course i dont post everything here because it would be way to long and did it ever come to your mind that the maybe the Publisher don't always want to offer both version (for whatever reasons) same goes for GOG that doesn't have all new games because Publisher XY doesnt want to release a DRM Free Version.

You throw just stuff in the room and dont back them up yourself and as you can see RattletraPM already did take your "observation" as fact (good job).

By the way all your Xseed games (in Store) where you get DRM Free AND the Steam Version
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&search=xseed
and funny thing all the new Bethesda titles are not even available on GOG
So again what are you talking about

Hold it, I didn't take anything as fact. I said "I don't know" because I want to see for myself how things are and how they'll be in the future before deciding if I want to buy from them again.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fine at least you are someone that will do his own research but it doesnt change the rest of my statement where i show that chaoskagami isnt correct.
But even after showing at least some proof chaoskagami can't accept that he isnt right and i honestly have better things to do as calculate "hard numbers" now ,that chaoskagami did not even show himself, or make Screenshots from all my purchases that have DRM Free and Steam Versions ;)

Last edited by nIxx,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
You obviously dont want to listen anyway and made up your mind already. You make a much bigger deal out of it as it actually is.
I have many more bundles games and so on where you get both of course i dont post everything here because it would be way to long.
And did it ever come to your mind that the maybe the Publisher don't always want to offer both version (for whatever reasons) same goes for GOG that doesn't have all new games because Publisher XY doesnt want to release a DRM Free Version.

Nobody said to post the entire list. I said "statistics." Not list. Also, I am not including games completely lacking a DRM-free version when comparing to GOG. How is that even relevant?

And again, the point of humble bundle is charity and DRM-free games. Those are their selling points.

You throw just stuff in the room and dont back them up yourself and then play the "it was only my opinion/observation" Card ^^
As you can see RattletraPM already did take your "observation" as fact (good job).

I didn't play that card now, I played it from my initial post. Read it again. See all those deliberately "unsure" prefixes to things I said? Notice I also never once stated it was fact. You, however, stated "facts" with insufficient evidence. I don't need to justify a single person's observation. Anyone who would take a single person's observations as a fact on the internet is foolish. Fact is derived from hard statistical evidence and logic to draw a conclusion. Not one random internet person stating observation, nor a hundred.

Hold it, I didn't take anything as fact. I said "I don't know" because I want to see for myself how things are and how they'll be in the future before deciding if I want to buy from them again.

If you did, I'd have to apologize. In your opinion, was my wording confusing? If so, perhaps that contributed to this problem. :/

By the way all your Xseed games (in Store) where you get DRM Free AND the Steam Version
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&search=xseed
and funny thing all the new Bethesda titles are not even available on GOG
So again what are you talking about

Approximately three weeks ago, Trails of Cold Steel was only available via Steam, not DRM-free on humble bundle. IIRC, one of the Ys games also was unavailable. It seems XSEED and Humble have fixed that one, having checked after you stated this.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout NV are NOT available as DRM-free on humble bundle. These exist as DRM-free releases on GOG.

Anyways, this whole discussion is really moot. You seem to be trying to implicate me into saying my opinion is fact. It's not. Never once did I imply I was "correct." You, however, stated your opinion as if it was fact without evidence. The burden of proof does not fall on me, since I have nothing to prove. I did not attempt to make an objective statement free of bias.

EDIT: And if we're trying the "I have too many" to avoid statistics, try having 250+ games on steam and at least 100 on Humble, never mind GOG. I also have "too many." Would you like some statistics from me on these?

Last edited by chaoskagami,

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You are nitpicking about individual games now that who knows for what reason are not available DRM free or any form (by the way on both sides GOG and Humble).

fact without evidence
You a quite funny i even showed you where you are wrong and now after some posts you just dont want to discuss anymore (since it was anway only an opinion ;) ).
As said you made up you mind already. Im done here ^^

And if we're trying the "I have too many" to avoid statistics, try having 250+ games on steam and at least 100 on Humble, never mind GOG.

Here my Steam account since i "avoiding" statistics lol
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TaktlossNo1/
Maybe thats enough ^^ Doesnt look much different on GOG and Humble
For someone who doesnt have to proof anything ^^

Last edited by nIxx,

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fine at least you are someone that will do his own research but it doesnt change the rest of my statement where i show that chaoskagami isnt correct.
But even after showing at least some proof chaoskagami can't accept that he isnt right and i honestly have better things to do as calculate "hard numbers" now ,that chaoskagami did not even show himself, or make Screenshots from all my purchases that have DRM Free and Steam Versions ;)
Exaggerated or not, there's still a bit of truth in what he said: Humble has been slowly moving away from charities and instead started caring more about profits. The increased default percentage of money going torwards the Humble Tip is a fact (it was 15% in the Humble Indie Bundle 3, the first one I got, while now is 20% with the Humble RPGLands bundle) and I find it pretty scummy that they give you the choice between sending another 5.6% torwards charities or your wallet when buying, because let's face it: your average joe is going to buy the bundle in order to get cheap games, so he probably won't even care about charities. Most likely he won't even see the sliders in the first place. Hell, at the time the bundles even had different buttons to set the sliders to give everything to charities or developers in a single click: why did they disappear all of a sudden? They would've been extremely nice to have, especially now that the sliders are hidden by default!

If you did, I'd have to apologize. In your opinion, was my wording confusing? If so, perhaps that contributed to this problem. :/
Not confusing at all, you've never said that what you said was a fact instead of an opinion. Hell, even what I said is undoubtly biased - it is my own point of view afterall, but hey, I'm just sharing what I think here, so you don't have to agree or anything.

Reactions: chaoskagami

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If people dont care about spending money to charity its not Humble Bundles fault.
There was even a time when there was no minimum and many many people or resellers bought the bundles for 0.01$ so yes most dont care about charity but Humble is still trying and i really dont know about any other site that did so much for charity and at the same time gives us some of the best bundles available.
No other Bundle site does this and the bundle games most of the time really suck compared to what you get on humble.

And thats the reason why people even discuss about the IGN Humble Bundle situation because people obviously care.
But before coming already to a conclusion that Humble Bundle is dead now or exaggerat stuff why not just wait and see.

Last edited by nIxx,
Reactions: Ryccardo

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If people dont care about spending money to charity its not Humble Bundles fault.
There was even a time when there was no minimum and many many people or resellers bought the bundles for 0.01$ so yes most dont care about charity but Humble is still trying and i really dont know about any other site that did so much for charity and at the same time gives us some of the best bundles available.
No other Bundle site does this and the bundle games most of the time really suck compared to what you get on humble.

And thats the reason why people even discuss about the IGN Humble Bundle situation because people obviously care.
But before coming already to a conclusion that Humble Bundle is dead now or exaggerat stuff why not just wait and see.
But it is Humble's fault if they brag so much about helping charities when recently they started going after profits instead. I remember the people speding just 1 cent for the bundles back when there was no above average bonus, and adding that was indeed a good decision, but if they really were all about helping charities then they would incentivize people to give more money to them instead of Humble itself, like unlocking games if you give more than the average of your money to charities instead. If they REALLY were all about charities then they wouldn't have a problem implementing that, right? (And notice how that doesn't mean the devs or them wouldn't profit at all, I said "above average", not "all money goes to charity"). I would be perfectly fine with them in their current shape if they stopped spreading out a blatant lie, because it's pretty obivous that, sure, they DO help charities, but it isn't their end game anymore. Profits are.

D

Deleted User

I cannot wait for IGN users to get exclusive bundles and for this to all go down the drain

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Humble Bundle lost its soul years ago. They're just a for profit business these days, with a tiny % going to charity for the sake of their public image.

I fully expect this wont hinder anything Humble Bundle currently does. Hell it might increase what they do.
did you notice that you can choose where the money goes? if you want more money to go to your favorate charity than you just slide the bar to have more proceeds go to charity..

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't be horribly surprised if they merged dev tips with humble tips to increase their profit, but i'd be very surprised if they outright removed the ability to donate to charity.
Right now the sliders are pretty well hidden and I guarantee a majority of people don't mess with them. But it lets them continue to be up their own asses with how much they contribute to charity, even if it's only a tiny portion compared to what they used to give. I have some doubts they'd risk damaging their public perception by removing the ability to have a say where your money goes.

Based on things HB has said in the past, the image of them being primarily for charity is a big deal to them, even if it hasn't been true for years. I don't know if they're so deluded they believe their own words, but they certainly hope everyone else does.

What do they give now in comparison to before? I don't remember it terribly high in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup