Hykem got raided

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reverse Engineering in itself is not illegal. I doubt he got raided. If he did, it was for something else. Anyway, I figured something like this was going to happen since December, but I really hoped he'd come through. Oh well.
reverse engineering to circumvent anti-piracy functions is (this is all dependent on where you live though)

Reactions: nolimits59

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
reverse engineering to circumvent anti-piracy functions is (this is all dependent on where you live though)
Technically circumventing security on any copyrighted software at all is against the DMCA. But the thing about circumvention laws is that they're meant to catch pirates and not to prosecute individuals. So if he's not really damaging Nintendo's copyright then he can't be heavily prosecuted, but some would argue that the iosu keys are enough to prosecute him on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why the fuck would a fucking detective first call him, I'd be the fuck gone from my home by the next day for a year straight if this happens to me.
This was either the raider asking if this was the right address or something...
You made this thread to stop false information to spread around, right?

Then by all means: please act by your own intention and don't spread false information around (christ...you've already did this and admitted it to be speculation on your part just a few pages back).
And this is why I'm calling BS on the whole raid thing. The only thing we know, is that Hykem told Crediar that he was raided.

Hykem live in the US? Has anyone seen this on a news channel? A house gets raided and it's always on at least local news.

Enough evidence to get a warrant to raid and seize all his devices but not to arrest him? Very highly unlikely. If they had enough on him to raid him, he'd be in jail.

I'm still calling BS and saying that he claimed to be raided so he doesn't have to release IOSU and can leave the community on a high note. Instead of just leaving and everyone hating him more than they already do in here.
To be clear: Crediar told us that Hykem was raided (quote: "Hykem was raided they pretty much took all his stuff but he's not under arrest."). That may be a subtle difference, but it's still the difference between first and second hand information (and you only need to read this thread to see how much information can fluctuate between second hand information - Crediar's post - and third hand info - the average post here).

One thing that is never answered in this whole thread but I'm curious about is what exactly defines a "raid". I know in video games and police series, it means a whole bunch of fully armed and bulletproof guys in black break all your doors and windows while shouting they're from the FBI*. In the real world, having authorities enter your home and taking your stuff for investigation can feel pretty menacing enough even if they don't break down your doors.

And...news channel? Perhaps things are more sensational in the US, but there was a raid at my house a couple weeks back. Criminals forced open our door and stole a couple bikes (as well as a couple houses down the street). Seeing how this was actual crime rather than (at best) suspicion, this would've been news, right?
Except that nobody cared. The police took notice and gave a standard speech. It probably didn't even made a local newspaper, let alone a news channel.
Moral of the story: the wiiu hacking scene isn't the center of the world. It may sound big and scary here, but tell this story to a non-gamer and they'll go "who cares?".

*I watch CSI cyber as well. it's entertaining, but I'll slap everyone who even thinks for a moment it's a realistic portrayal of their cyber division (christ...mr. robot is far more realistic and that series hallucinates things half of the time)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically circumventing security on any copyrighted software at all is against the DMCA. But the thing about circumvention laws is that they're meant to catch pirates and not to prosecute individuals. So if he's not really damaging Nintendo's copyright then he can't be heavily prosecuted, but some would argue that the iosu keys are enough to prosecute him on.
I could write a program that generates random numbers and letters. This program would eventually output somebody's encryption key. I could get sued every time one popped up under current law. You can't claim copyright over random letters and numbers. Besides, he only posted partial keys, the rest had to be brute forced

Last edited by Subtle Demise,

steelseth

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I just want to be informed, how does that work? How can it be recovered if I wipe every single byte off my drive? This isn't windows where they have restore points or some shit
It was theorized at some point that using an electron microscope to detect magnetic residue of each sector you could reconstruct the data.
It was assumed that every sector contained all the information previously written on that sector in layers.
A study was made some years ago that disproved this and also the theory that you need to 10-15 passes to safely wipe the data.
In reality with the high density drives of today its not possible.

Last edited by steelseth,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So they're keeping it safe untilllll...??
I mean, i head that there wasn't any useful homebrew out yet, but how do they expect people to develop on a console that they don't have hacking access?
And this is exactly why I can't put sound in anything. My asturoids game is pretty good, but it's be even better with sound. Any game is better with sound really. QuarkTheAwesome ported the LiteNES emulator to the Wii U, but there is really no point in porting anything more powerful, with sound and awesome graphics, because it's pointless for 5.5 developers to even attempt it. I was able to improve the emulator port, but it isn't the greatest at emulating NES, since the one it is based on only does a handful of titles, with some titles being glitchy. It can't handle scrolling properly for example, nor can it play any sound. Even with Kernel or IOSU access, this particular emulator wouldn't have sound anyway, but that's the main reason I think that QuarkTheAwesome picked it to try and port for 5.5 users.

Reactions: Chuardo

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I could write a program that generates random numbers and letters. This program would eventually output somebody's encryption key. I could get sued every time one popped up under current law. You can't claim copyright over random letters and numbers. Besides, he only posted partial keys, the rest had to be brute forced
Well, it's not the key that's copyrighted per se, but the software itself, whose security was breached in order to obtain the partial key, simple as that. And due to the fact that it's impossible to brute force a key like this that's how it had to happen. I'm not saying I agree with it, but technically that's how the law treats this situation; however it wouldn't hold up in court at all.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

CableLeecher

640K ought to be enough for anyone
Trophies
EARTH | SOL-SYSTEM | SECTOR 001 | ALPHA QUADRANT
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I doubt one would risk making copies knowing that the police is going to come, lol. And besides, he was cooperating with smea and yellows8, so they would have the exploit as well.

He wasn't cooperating with smea or yellow8.

Smea even answered on twitter that he's neither a friend of hykem nor does he care about whats going on...

Last edited by CableLeecher,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let this be a lesson to people. If you are going to work on something, don't keep posting publicly about it months before you intend to release anything. That just makes you a target for something like this to happen.

Finish it up and get it out all at once or anonymously with little to no warning ahead of time.

This is what I believe in. The problem is all the attention seeking. If i was hacking the ps4 or any console, id never disclose it anywhere. After it was finished id drive 2 hrs to another town and leek it with a highly secure laptop at some public wifi. Have the laptop closed but still active and have it auto connect and then upload to places of my choice. 100% anonymously. once my hack tools were in the wild then its to late and there is no one to point the finger at.

Latinlover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sucks Hykem had to go through this, but now he has some street cred and doesn't have to see jailtime (hopefully)

lil wayne is pure crap
so are these new wannabe lil wayne imposters
why cant peeps get their own style, just bopping of pretentious untalented rappers

as for hykem getting raided
at least now we can wait and see for marionumber1s work and smea's

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people use the term "conspiracy theory" when 1, there is indeed a theory, and 2, the meaning of the word conspiracy is: "the action of plotting or conspiring"
It logically does not make any sense whatsoever in this case, unless you beleive the devs are conspiring something. Then in that case would be a Conspiracy Theory! :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?