Hardware If I buy a new PS Vita in 2017 what FW would I get?

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
A Brand new vita from a retailer like Amazon or Target, i assume would likely be on fw 3.61+

If your looking for a fw 3.60 and below vita then i suggest you use EBAY but do remember to ask the Seller what OFW the Vita is on before you buy it. Get them to take a pic of the Vita displaying the FW just to make sure.

Good luck. A vita is a great machine which died a shitty death as a result of Sony's stupidity and because Sony was a shitty parent to its child the vita RIP

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless something has changed, I believe all new Vitas from non-Asia retailers should be on < 3.60. FW 3.61+ was only released last summer and IIRC they stopped shipping new Vitas to outside of Japan and Taiwan(?) a while back.

Reactions: zfreeman

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless something has changed, I believe all new Vitas from non-Asia retailers should be on < 3.60. FW 3.61+ was only released last summer and IIRC they stopped shipping new Vitas to outside of Japan and Taiwan(?) a while back.
I will have to hop on amazon and do some gambling for FW's. Hopefully I can get the jackpot i'm looking for lol. I have sometimes on rare occasions gotten a console with a ips screen or a console with a lower firmware. So i'm going to avoid using ebay for the time being to avoid paying extra on a console that's already out there for the time being.

I'm looking for a vita btw to play a bunch of known indie games like splunkey or hotline miami on the go most of the time, and also play some titles I grew up with (LBP for the most part, but also oddly playstation all stars becuase i'm getting that cool smash bros vibe again and use it to emulate a bunch of games as well as use it for PSP Games that might look cool.)

And of course to also play games I haven't in "pixel perfect" mode like older GTA Games

I could carry a Switch around but I don't think it would be the best solution for just casual play like on a phone. It would be understandable if I played the Switch locally with people I know somewhere but carrying it around at school, walking, or playing it at a time when convient or appropriate (like, pulling it out during a work break or something idk.) Is a deal breaker for me with the Switch becuase of how bulky it is. And I could get a 2DS as well but now thinking about it it's probably smarter to get a Vita becuase of some indie exclusives on there, (and no I don't mean those japanese games.) :P

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new vita about one month ago off Amazon. Firmware was 3.55 if I remember correctly. It was definitely under 3.60. Bought it from an authorized third party seller. It had the word "Florida" in their name.

C Dale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can anyone confirm this? I was going to ask this exact same question. Ebay has the vita Slim PCH-2006 going for $200 or less and I want to know if it will ship with 3.60 or below.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i've just gotten last FW for my psdead, can't access PSN/online multiplayer sucks just like putting pineapple on pizza or eating spaghetti with Nutella

Plasmastar510

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've just gotten last FW for my psdead, can't access PSN/online multiplayer sucks just like putting pineapple on pizza or eating spaghetti with Nutella

1.) PSVita is awesome, alive and kicking, and receiving more games for it (via eShop).
2.) PSN CAN be accessed, just stop being a pirate.
3.) Pineapple on pizza is freaking delicious.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm this? I was going to ask this exact same question. Ebay has the vita Slim PCH-2006 going for $200 or less and I want to know if it will ship with 3.60 or below.
I would avoid eBay unless the seller can 100% confirm the box is unopened. A lot of sellers like to list consoles as "new", but still open them and update them to the latest firmware for "less hassle" to the customer.

As mentioned, any brand new, unopened Vita sans the two new JP Silver/Red models released in December 2016 are guaranteed to be on 3.60 or lower. So far, no one has reported any unopened Vita's with 3.61 that wasn't these two colors.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1.) PSVita is awesome, alive and kicking, and receiving more games for it (via eShop).
2.) PSN CAN be accessed, just stop being a pirate.
3.) Pineapple on pizza is freaking delicious.

1) psdead is fucken dead, unless u are weeb so enjoy ur underaged-fanservice-anime-grills japanese games
2) my psdead is 100% genuine, so both my ps3/ps4/psdead can share same account without any risks
3) pineapple on pizza=nutella with spaghetti are even worse than hitler did to Jews

Reactions: MrCokeacola

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1) psdead is fucken dead, unless u are weeb so enjoy ur underaged-fanservice-anime-grills japanese games
2) my psdead is 100% genuine, so both my ps3/ps4/psdead can share same account without any risks
3) pineapple on pizza=nutella with spaghetti are even worse than hitler did to Jews
Guess you have fallen on your head.

zx80030

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new vita about one month ago off Amazon. Firmware was 3.55 if I remember correctly. It was definitely under 3.60. Bought it from an authorized third party seller. It had the word "Florida" in their name.
Do you have the whole name? I'm looking to buy a new PS VITA with fw <3.6

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone already said just avoid the new colors (red & silver) and buy new.
I can confirm that the God eater 2 slim, neon orange slim, red black slim bundle, soul sacrifice phat, borderlands slim, toukiden phat, and persona slim were all below or on 3.60. If I remember correctly my persona slim was the one that came with 3.60, lucky. All bought from Amazon and available for prime.

Most of those are from Japan but they're cooler than any US releases. And the vita is region free. Just the bundled games are gonna be Japanese and the O button is set to confirm by default on jpn systems so you'll have to change O button behavior in Henkaku settings and in adrenaline if you want.

And if I'm not mistaken no more Phats are being made so if you really want to be safe buy a Phat or a PSTV. But seriously just avoid red and silver slims and you should be safe.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: zx80030

zx80030

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone already said just avoid the new colors (red & silver) and buy new.
I can confirm that the God eater 2 slim, neon orange slim, red black slim bundle, soul sacrifice phat, borderlands slim, toukiden phat, and persona slim were all below or on 3.60. If I remember correctly my persona slim was the one that came with 3.60, lucky. All bought from Amazon and available for prime.

Most of those are from Japan but they're cooler than any US releases. And the vita is region free. Just the bundled games are gonna be Japanese and the O button is set to confirm by default on jpn systems so you'll have to change O button behavior in Henkaku settings and in adrenaline if you want.

And if I'm not mistaken no more Phats are being made so if you really want to be safe buy a Phat or a PSTV. But seriously just avoid red and silver slims and you should be safe.

How about the lime green/white or the light blue/white slim?

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about the lime green/white or the light blue/white slim?
Haven't bought them myself so I can't say for sure. With some research you may be able to find info on firmware versionx by serial number. Wololo made an article like that for finding a low firmware switch. And people were using the same tactic back in the 4.5 3ds days

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
Planning on buying a new & unopened Vita tomorrow from Game here in the UK (Black one) what are the chances of the vita being 3.60 or lower?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't...