If Windows 7 is dead... would you update to 8 or 10?

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The biggest improvements that I noticed when I upgraded to 10 were:
Boot time, The new task manager, Drivers, UI, the new recovery menu ( when your pc fails to start a few times)
And the biggest downgrades were:
Having to right click to access the volume mixer (unless you install a new mixer like eartrumpet)
After a fresh install there is a bunch of shortcuts to bloatware in the start menu (unpin it all)
When you sign in with a Microsoft account it defaults to using it as your desktop login password too.

I've had no game compatibility issues among my game library of 300+ steam games + other non steam games.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Should we say RIP windows 7 now?" - Thread made me think about my own PC. It's a nice little Slim-Gamer-PC i bought in 2015: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core Processor, 8 GB Ram, NVIDA G-Force GTX 750Ti and a Samsung 120 GB SSD as primary harddrive. Nothing really fancy, but good enough to play all games up-to-date with medium or even high graphic settings.

I'am not planning to invest in new hardware in the next 2-3 years. So i'am now asking myself, if it would be smart to update directly to Windows 10 or are there any benefits if i go for Windows 8? Will it spy less on me than Windows 10?

Opinions?

P.S.: I claim all so super funny "I-wouldn't-update-to-any-version-of-Windows"-replys..." for me. :teach:
i would update to 8.1 and use programs such as classic start for the win 7 start menu

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People who fret over 10 are misinformed / paranoid in my opinion. 10 is better than 7 or 8.1. Go for it.
theres a few reasons i dont use windows 10, 1. the processing power that 10 takes compared is quite a big difference 2. windows updates are very annoying 3.there has been so many driver issues i have had on other computers i own that run win 10 im going to wait

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next computer i build ill install windows 10 enterprise 64bit and use to play the games and then ill use windows 7 mostly in a virtual machine to do all my other stuff. that way i can use the modern OS for driver support and then have the useability of windows 7 in virtual machine.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Forced updates doesn't mean security updates.
for example i block windows updates for nvidia drivers as i already have latest drivers from nvidia's site,
i block Microsoft silverlight and telemetry updates, this doesn't make my system less secure.

Silverlight isn't an issue. Telemetry isn't an issue, the paranoia is. Nvidia drivers can be turned off with a click. Please, don't feed the fear mongering. It does nothing beneficial.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've used Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. I can safely say that out of the 4, if you do plan on getting an upgrade make it to either 8.1 or 10. Although i'd personally choose 10 if you're a windows 7 user as the UI in 8.1 might throw you off a bit unless you install things like Classic Shell. As for stuff like "The telemetry will spy on you. This OS robs you of privacy." all that good jazz, its just not true. I also looked at your computer specifications as well and while this is just my opinion, I feel that your computer will hardly feel any impact from windows 10, plus you can always roll back to 7 if you don't like it. You should at least give it a try before Microsoft closes the assistive technologies loophole, that way you have a valid Win10 license for when Windows 7 does officially "die"

vaporwave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't really understand all the false information about Windows 10, its fast and fluid with everything great about Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 rolled into one. the "spying" that everyone talks about is the same thing that your iPhone/android does, or google when you search for something. Also even if you hated the so called "spying" you can just run a program like DonotSpy10 or something. as far as the forced updates are, you would want them anyway because they give you the latest security patches, and if you want things to be tested just move to the "Windows 10 Current Branch for Business" or use Windows 10 LTSB. Windows 7 will be left behind just like XP once was, its time to move on.

jazzyalmonds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Should we say RIP windows 7 now?" - Thread made me think about my own PC. It's a nice little Slim-Gamer-PC i bought in 2015: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core Processor, 8 GB Ram, NVIDA G-Force GTX 750Ti and a Samsung 120 GB SSD as primary harddrive. Nothing really fancy, but good enough to play all games up-to-date with medium or even high graphic settings.

I'am not planning to invest in new hardware in the next 2-3 years. So i'am now asking myself, if it would be smart to update directly to Windows 10 or are there any benefits if i go for Windows 8? Will it spy less on me than Windows 10?

Opinions?

P.S.: I claim all so super funny "I-wouldn't-update-to-any-version-of-Windows"-replys..." for me. :teach:
Yes

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, 10 replaced 7 and 8 both. Windows 8.1 is still good and usable though, but vanilla 8 is awful and 7 is just ancient by now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing compels me to go over to 10, everything on here runs well as it is. Why would I want more DEP/UAC bullcrap and having to send reports of my activity to Microsoft? To me it sounds like more reasons for them to install spyware. Unless someone can list me reasons to upgrade, I'm sticking with this as long as I can.

Reactions: Nightwish

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 updates are really made towards new hardware, which is my issue... my 2011 PC has some really strange issues I'd never get say, on Windows 7 but this goes along with the way updates are pushed out and major updates are no longer new versions of Windows.

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 works great for me. I used to run 8.1 on my laptop, upgraded it to 10, and it still worked great. Also had a computer that came with 7, upgraded it to 10, and it was better than 7. Honestly I feel like 8.1 was a great step back from 7 because it focused too much on tablet devices instead of desktops, but Windows 10 is just pure upgrade from 7 in my opinion. The Start menu has the functionality of the Win8 one but with the familiar look of Win7. You have support for Windows apps and some Xbox games like Forza and Gears of War. Didn't seem to damage game performance - if anything, it felt as if games performed better. Plus, the UI looks a lot more modern than 7, which is just opinion, but some people might like it.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I upgraded to Linux.
You know, as much as I know people may find this comment elitist and shit, it's actually not wrong.
Okay, certain programs are lacking, game support is inferior, but as a OS to do everyday stuff on computer, I have to admit that running off Linux (on my side, Solus being used daily for a good while now) has proven me that it's so much easier on RAM and ressources consumption.

I have both Windows 10 and Solus installed in my laptop, and holy crap it's pretty disturbing to use Windows and see twice as much RAM being used while doing the exact same tasks.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I was on Windows 7 Ultimate for a while after using 10 (shortly after it released) and having problems with it. I've been back on 10 for the past week and it's going great. I've also used 8.1 Pro a bit but I like it less than 10 Pro and 7 Ultimate.

It seems like most of my woes with Windows 10 have been resolved, and with Classic Shell, I don't have to get used to that crap they're calling a Start Menu now. Apparently Microsoft has yet to learn that when it's not broken, the best thing is small, subtle changes and tweaks, not a complete redesign.

I upgraded to Linux.

That's an option if there's not much software you rely on that is completely incompat. with Linux OS's.

Reactions: DeadlyFoez

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You know, as much as I know people may find this comment elitist and shit, it's actually not wrong.
Okay, certain programs are lacking, game support is inferior, but as a OS to do everyday stuff on computer, I have to admit that running off Linux (on my side, Solus being used daily for a good while now) has proven me that it's so much easier on RAM and ressources consumption.

I have both Windows 10 and Solus installed in my laptop, and holy crap it's pretty disturbing to use Windows and see twice as much RAM being used while doing the exact same tasks.

Win10 uses 1.2gb of ram for me on idle, KDE (In KDE Neon) uses 600mbs.
It's ridiculous.

That's an option if there's not much software you rely on that is completely incompat. with Linux OS's.
Less users = Less developers making software = Less users
It's a cycle, I recommend everyone at least try out Linux, it's just great. There are very few things nowadays that Linux can't do.
Most of the people who refuse though are actually just gaming, which is totally possible on Linux with Wine and so many ports now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.