Hacking If you're on 2.0-2.3, don't update...

D

Deleted User

man do you think i would spread this without talking to a dev ? Rob and Scris are both from the same team working on the same projects so shuv it its the same its nvhax

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man do you think i would spread this without talking to a dev ? Rob and Scris are both from the same team working on the same projects so shuv it its the same its nvhax
DUDE. He's a dev. He LITERALLY JUST SAID "SPECIFICALLY IN THIS CASE" NOT TO UPDATE TO 3.0 if you're on 2.x.

DON'T BE STUPID. He's OBVIOUSLY saying that for a reason.

You're not a dev. If Scires said this, then listen to the guy!

Jesus Christ.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We understand it's nvhax and that it will work on both 2.X and 3.0. I was on the discord looking at it too. But Scires pointed out that even though it will work on 3.0, people should still refrain from updating.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,
Reactions: peteruk

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We understand it's nvhax and that it will work on both 2.X and 3.0. I was on the discord looking at it too. But Scires pointed out that even though it will work on 3.0, people should still refrain from updating.
He also literally said, "in this case, specifically, stay on 2.x". There's obviously a reason.

Also, just because they're a "team", doesn't mean they know the same shit. For example, Scires could've found something out incredibly recently for 2.x, and hadn't told the other(s) yet.

Either way, the man said don't update if you're on 2.x. He wouldn't say that unless there were reason to. If he were just playing the "lower firmware are always better" card, he'd not had added that last statement that said SPECIFICALLY, in this case, to stay on 2.x. HEAVILY hinting that there is something on 2.x which was blocked in 3.0

Just elaborating on what you said here:)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think everyone knows this by now. It's already known that some exploits were patched in 3.0. Exactly what implications this has for homebrew, we don't know yet, but we do know at the very least that it will take longer for 3.0 to get hacked.
But each individual user has to decide what's more important to them. Playing games now, or being stuck unable to play new games while they wait for the inevitable CFW release.

I don't mind buying games, I got the Switch expecting it to take a long time for warez loading to be possible, so I don't mind if it takes a long time for CFW to be made for newer firmwares while people who stayed behind get to enjoy their ROMs. Games are more important.
My view on buying new consoles at launch is that it gives me the chance to be among the first to play a new game, and I wouldn't give that up for anything. If I can't even play new games then I may as well wait for a price drop before buying. But everyone will have their own view on that.

Anyway, OP seems like he's forgetting about TX's offering. It's certainly not for everyone, as not everyone is willing to void their warranty just for piracy. But there's also not really any need to worry about updates, since you'll always have the modchip option if piracy is that important to you that you would forgo being able to play new games for possibly a couple of years, depending on whether the devs plan to release their work, and what that release ends up looking like. If piracy is really that important to people then they would probably also be willing to pay someone to install a modchip for them.
To my knowledge all of the devs are anti-piracy and so they probably wouldn't release anything that could contribute to piracy, meaning that anyone waiting might be waiting a long time until another dev comes around that doesn't give a shit. TX's offering might be the only way to pirate Switch games for a long time to come. That's something to keep in mind for everyone that is staying behind.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone knows this by now. It's already known that some exploits were patched in 3.0. Exactly what implications this has for homebrew, we don't know yet, but we do know at the very least that it will take longer for 3.0 to get hacked.
But each individual user has to decide what's more important to them. Playing games now, or being stuck unable to play new games while they wait for the inevitable CFW release.

I don't mind buying games, I got the Switch expecting it to take a long time for warez loading to be possible, so I don't mind if it takes a long time for CFW to be made for newer firmwares while people who stayed behind get to enjoy their ROMs. Games are more important.
My view on buying new consoles at launch is that it gives me the chance to be among the first to play a new game, and I wouldn't give that up for anything. If I can't even play new games then I may as well wait for a price drop before buying. But everyone will have their own view on that.

Anyway, OP seems like he's forgetting about TX's offering. It's certainly not for everyone, as not everyone is willing to void their warranty just for piracy. But there's also not really any need to worry about updates, since you'll always have the modchip option if piracy is that important to you that you would forgo being able to play new games for possibly a couple of years, depending on whether the devs plan to release their work, and what that release ends up looking like. If piracy is really that important to people then they would probably also be willing to pay someone to install a modchip for them.
To my knowledge all of the devs are anti-piracy and so they probably wouldn't release anything that could contribute to piracy, meaning that anyone waiting might be waiting a long time until another dev comes around that doesn't give a shit. TX's offering might be the only way to pirate Switch games for a long time to come. That's something to keep in mind for everyone that is staying behind.
Not forgetting, I said "softmod" in the op;)

kitzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an effort to clear the air and promote a less toxic environment, here comes the current state of affairs regarding Switch hacks:

- Firmware 1.0.0:
-> Contains critical system flaws that allow code execution up to the TrustZone level;
-> Most of what was showcased during 34c3 originally targeted this firmware version;
-> Allows for a full blown emuNAND/CFW setup.

- Firmware 2.0.0-2.3.0:
-> Contains system flaws that allow code execution up to the kernel level;
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax).

- Firmware 3.0.0:
-> Contains system flaws that allow code execution on the userland level;
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax);
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using public methods (e.g.: rohan).

- Firmware 3.0.1-4.1.0:

hexkyz blog

so yeah if you on 2.0-2.3 if you been waiting this long aleady why not wait and not update.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by the_randomizer,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an effort to clear the air and promote a less toxic environment, here comes the current state of affairs regarding Switch hacks:

- Firmware 1.0.0:
-> Contains critical system flaws that allow code execution up to the TrustZone level;
-> Most of what was showcased during 34c3 originally targeted this firmware version;

- Firmware 2.0.0-2.3.0:

- Firmware 3.0.0:

- Firmware 3.0.1-4.1.0:

hexkyz blog

so yeah if you on 2.0-2.3 if you been waiting this long aleady why not wait and not update.
Because dev said SPECIFICALLY NOT TO. Seriously. People here not read?!

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because dev said SPECIFICALLY NOT TO. Seriously. People here not read?!

Except, it's not all doom and gloom if you're on 4.1.0, you still can use homebrew, so really. Unless you want kernel access and pirate games...yeah, lower is better. At least those on 4.1.0 can actually have homebrew, that's what I wanted.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- Firmware 1.0.0:

- Firmware 2.0.0-2.3.0:

- Firmware 3.0.0:

- Firmware 3.0.1-4.1.0:

hexkyz blog

yeah I was agreeing with you. You shouldnt update if you already been waiting
Oh okay
Sorry about that. Full disclosure. I just read the ending haha

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Except, it's not all doom and gloom if you're on 4.1.0, you still can use homebrew, so really. Unless you want kernel access and pirate games...yeah, lower is better. At least those on 4.1.0 can actually have homebrew, that's what I wanted.
I remember that daedalus for the psp needed more than just "userland" to work well on the psp so it might even be better to have it on full cfw even for homebrew

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay
Sorry about that. Full disclosure. I just read the ending haha

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I remember that daedalus for the psp needed more than just "userland" to work well on the psp so it might even be better to have it on full cfw even for homebrew

Well, the major hurdle is lack of hardware acceleration, we don't know what we need yet.

kitzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While yes this is correct, homebrew for < 3.0 will not happen til nvhax is patched on whatever firmware it does get patched on. It could be the next it could be 2 years from now lol. So the highest bet if they actually release something would be TX which would open piracy anyways.

Last edited by kitzuki,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While yes this is correct, homebrew for <3.0 will not happen til nvhax is patched on whatever firmware it does get patched on. It could be the next it could be 2 years from now lol. So the highest bet if they actually release something would be TX which would open piracy anyways.

Either way, those on 4.1.0 aren't totally SOL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum