• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

I'm extremely disappointed with my own country

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I am extremely agitated when I saw this:

Singapore is changing. All it cares now is money.

For god's sake. You CAN be a multi-millionaire and CAN be a reckless driver in China but AT LEAST OBEY RULES.

Don't drink and drive PLUS speed at a whopping 180km/h when the speed limit is only FIFTY SIXTY!

Thoughts?

The full news can be read here.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's sad but unfortunately there are idiots in every country.
It's not that.

You came from China. I accept that.
You are an expatriate. I accept that because you bring good to the country.
You are rich. I accept that.
You own a Ferrari. I accept that.
You have another girl in the car. I don't mind. Since it is your problem.

BUT you DRINK and DRIVE, speeding at an ATROCIOUS 180km/h, drunk at 4AM IN THE MORNING and killing TWO other innocent people?
That I can't accept.

Plus, you sped past a traffic junction!

The worse thing is that foreigners like him are highly valued so nothing is going to happen.
Also, the family and some other Chinese (PRC) are blaming the taxi driver who was killed for the loss of the foreign expat, insisting that he didn't have an airbag and "serve him right" comments.

I feel very sorry for the driver (and his family), the motorcyclist who attained a spine injury and the Japanese student in her 20s who was also killed.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I read the news this morning.
What I don't understand is... what does this have to do with the guy being chinese?
don't tell me ALL the locals respect the traffic rules (and that NO ONE is ever caught for drunk driving).
This could very well have been a local driving the ferrari.
It's not like it happens every day, this is an isolated incident -- I mean, accidents happen every day, but you don't see chinese-guys-driving-ferraris-killing-others-because-drunkdriving etc every day.

So why blame the chinese?

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What I don't understand is... what does this have to do with the guy being chinese?
don't tell me ALL the locals respect the traffic rules (and that NO ONE is ever caught for drunk driving).
It's not like it happens every day, this is an isolated incident -- I mean, accidents happen every day, but you don't see chinese-guys-driving-ferraris-killing-others-because-drunkdriving etc every day.

We are not blaming the Chinese at all.

If I blame the Chinese, I'm blaming myself because I am one (I am a Singapore-born CHINK. HAPPY? Chinese) and ~70% of Singapore's population.

We are furious about his driving habits, his attitude and his family's attitude.
And to be honest, ever since a huge influx of foreigners entered Singapore (not just China alone), it changed drastically.
I can't say how and why here but if you want to know, leave me a PM.

EDIT:
To reply to what you said -
  • Yes, we do speed a little at times. Maybe +15km/h. This guy raced at thrice of the speed limit and dashed across a red light at 4AM.
  • In addition, drink driving is heavily dealt with here and rates have gone down drastically among locals.
  • If the driver was a local, he would be cursed/scolded just as bad.
  • This point is inappropriate to be stated publicly.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal

Several local Singaporeans have some sort of extreme hatred towards foreigners, especially PRC Chinese. The stereotypical view of the PRC Chinese is that they are uncouth, despicable and rude. Of course, it's sort of similar to the Americans that hate Mexicans and these people are generally extremists and conspiracy theorists. The problem is with the government's policy on mass importation of foreign talent, coupled with a lack of minimum wage it's supposedly causing many Singaporeans jobs (this is based on anecdotal evidence, official figures show our unemployment to be quite low). This causes hatred towards foreigners en masse,

The thing is, most of these xenophobic Singaporeans get their news of atrocities committed by some foreigners off of the internet as there is some sort of 'media cover up' and developed hatred for them. You could draw some parallels between them and Alex Jones' followers on infowars. I would say their hatred could also be further fueled by the local government, which is deemed authoritarian or fascist by many.

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Several local Singaporeans have some sort of extreme hatred towards foreigners, especially PRC Chinese. The stereotypical view of the PRC Chinese is that they are uncouth, despicable and rude. Of course, it's sort of similar to the Americans that hate Mexicans and these people are generally extremists and conspiracy theorists. The problem is with the government's policy on mass importation of foreign talent, coupled with a lack of minimum wage it's supposedly causing many Singaporeans jobs (this is based on anecdotal evidence, official figures show our unemployment to be quite low). This causes hatred towards foreigners en masse,

The thing is, most of these xenophobic Singaporeans get their news of atrocities committed by some foreigners off of the internet as there is some sort of 'media cover up' and developed hatred for them. You could draw some parallels between them and Alex Jones' followers on infowars. I would say their hatred could also be further fueled by the local government, which is deemed authoritarian or fascist by many.
This is what I wanted to say. I didn't dare to actually.

But there are other reasons.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am extremely agitated when I saw this:

[media]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/media]

Singapore is changing. All it cares now is money.

For god's sake. You CAN be a multi-millionaire and CAN be a reckless driver in China but AT LEAST OBEY RULES.

Don't drink and drive PLUS speed at a whopping 180km/h when the speed limit is only FIFTY SIXTY!

Thoughts?

The full news can be read here.

Sorry to disappointed you but not only your country but everywhere included here in America. Oh yes.. We are all human being and human are scum... Most of them anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1