Hacking I'm on 4.1. Should I abandon all hope to eventually hack my switch?

D

Deleted-355425

Point proven, Switch is never gonna have 4.x.x homebrew support because Nintendo just won the battle against people hacking the Switch. Now that we have that out of the way... also CFW only being usable on 0.01 consoles, yeah, that's certainly productive.

I'm not sure what angle you are going for but all of your posts are negative towards switch getting hacked on any firmware, every firmware is hackable its just relying on some devoted smart individual to do the leg work.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And what makes you and so many others so damn sure 4.x.x will ever get homebrew? What makes you so sure that there are exploits and that there are enough people to actually exploit security holes, if any, in 4.x.x firmware? The Wii U had so little interest it took nearly five years for kernel access, I don't exactly have any more faith in Switch hacking than I did with the Wii U. I've been burned before.

See? It's easier to be defeatist than it is to have misplaced hope in something that's likely to never happen. Can't win, don't try.
What makes me sure about it ? tbh the sales ;)
If the Switch is popular it's also intresting for hackers and with the merge of consoles and handhelds they also merged all of the devs.....

Also did you watch 34c3 ? the IOMMU is fully exploitable and the hack got shared by Nvidia themselves and he also said that there is no such comlicated microprocessor dedicated for security.
You have to be a bit more optimistic but on my end I really dunnot care about hacking my switch because I know I can wait ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Seemshow he released a ps4 kernel exploit I don't see why not to trust him...
Um no he did port it and he didn't find the exploit see here:
https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2017/ps4-namedobj-exploit/

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What makes me sure about it ? tbh the sales ;)
If the Switch is popular it's also intresting for hackers and with the merge of consoles and handhelds they also merged all of the devs.....

Also did you watch 34c3 ? the IOMMU is fully exploitable and the hack got shared by Nvidia themselves and he also said that there is no such comlicated microprocessor dedicated for security.
You have to be a bit more optimistic but on my end I really dunnot care about hacking my switch because I know I can wait ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Um no he did port it and he didn't find the exploit see here:
https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2017/ps4-namedobj-exploit/
Seems like he either works with failoverflow or does exploiting alone, either way I don't see any red flags as to why he can't be trusted as a dev

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just say now would be a great time to play the waiting game. Not everthing is "now."

There will be future chances.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gnarmagon

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what angle you are going for but all of your posts are negative towards switch getting hacked on any firmware, every firmware is hackable its just relying on some devoted smart individual to do the leg work.

Because I don't want to place false hope in something that may or may not be exploitable. I'm doing it to save face, I'd rather be negative, and be surprised by something later, than having unfounded hope in something that someone may or may not be interested in working towards and end up getting disappointed. That's just me. Yes, I'm being cynical, fine, but, what am I supposed to do?

I don't know anymore...

Last edited by the_randomizer,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe this has already been said, but that's what people thought when the latest hackable firmware on the wii u was 5.3.2. I actually bought a second console due to this. now, that the latest is hackable, I've updated both of my consoles to 5.5.1, and I am blocking updates with both. :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe this has already been said, but that's what people thought when the latest hackable firmware on the wii u was 5.3.2. I actually bought a second console due to this. now, that the latest is hackable, I've updated both of my consoles to 5.5.1, and I am blocking updates with both. :)

But you have to keep in mind it took nearly five years to get to that point on Wii U, no?

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you would've asked me a few months ago I would've been very skeptical of anything good happening for FW >3.0.0. After watching Console Security Switch as well as some other related presentations; Trustzone is not enough, Microarchitectural attacks on Trusted Execution Environments, and How can you trust formally verified software?, I am pretty optimistic that things won't be so bad. If you're into security in ARM environments I would say give em a watch if you haven't yet.

I'm going by past experiences on this one. There's not a doubt in my mind that >3.0.0 hacks WILL happen. Just a matter of when.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's the point in even hoping for homebrew in later firmware? Nintendo won, may as well have us pack up and go home.:hateit:
Better != perfect. Anyone who says it definitely will/won't get hacked is frankly wrong. Even with better security we've already seen the fact that their system isn't perfect. Given the fact that Rohan was something nintendo accidentally introduced into 3.0.0, it's not completely impossible either another bug already exists or another one gets added with a future firmware. Also plutoo had shown that he has somehow decrypted 4.0.0 to probe it for changes, so they are able to poke at higher firmwares for potential bugs.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better != perfect. Anyone who says it definitely will/won't get hacked is frankly wrong. Even with better security we've already seen the fact that their system isn't perfect. Given the fact that Rohan was something nintendo accidentally introduced into 3.0.0, it's not completely impossible either another bug already exists or another one gets added with a future firmware. Also plutoo had shown that he has somehow decrypted 4.0.0 to probe it for changes, so they are able to poke at higher firmwares for potential bugs.

Able to look at higher firmware doesn't mean they will necessarily want to or have the motivation to do so, right? I'm on 4.0.2, as are many others, and yes, I did disable WiFi on my Switch to block accidental update. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a negative crybaby, fine, but can you blame me for being skeptical? The real question is, will they actually be willing to look at 4.0.1 and 4.0.2? The way the ReSwitched team made it sound, they made it as though 3.0.0 was the only exploitable firmware.

*Sigh* And now I feel like just...yeah.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Able to look at higher firmware doesn't mean they will necessarily want to or have the motivation to do so, right? I'm on 4.0.2, as are many others, and yes, I did disable WiFi on my Switch to block accidental update. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a negative crybaby, fine, but can you blame me for being skeptical? The real question is, will they actually be willing to look at 4.0.1 and 4.0.2? The way the ReSwitched team made it sound, they made it as though 3.0.0 was the only exploitable firmware.

*Sigh* And now I feel like just...yeah.
You seem to think that having some hope in future exploits is the same as being absolutely certain they will happen. You can't say it certainly will happen, and you also can't say it certainly won't. Both of those are inaccurate. Do I care if it doesn't happen? Not really. I bought my switch at launch before homebrew murmurs to be a console first. Would it be cool to get homebrew on later firmwares? Yes. Most here aren't saying it definitely will happen, but you keep replying as if everyone who even hopes for future exploits are saying its 100% certain. You, on the other hand, seem to keep replying as though it's 100% impossible.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to think that having some hope in future exploits is the same as being absolutely certain they will happen. You can't say it certainly will happen, and you also can't say it certainly won't. Both of those are inaccurate. Do I care if it doesn't happen? Not really. I bought my switch at launch before homebrew murmurs to be a console first. Would it be cool to get homebrew on later firmwares? Yes. Most here aren't saying it definitely will happen, but you keep replying as if everyone who even hopes for future exploits are saying its 100% certain. You, on the other hand, seem to keep replying as though it's 100% impossible.

Honestly, I don't know what the heck to even think about this anymore. I've gotten so worked up over what could or couldn't happen, I just plan on quitting while I'm a head, it's just not worth it to me anymore. My negativity has only been serving to piss you off, which I don't want to do because it's not something I mean to do, yeah.... ugh.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't know what the heck to even think about this anymore. I've gotten so worked up over what could or couldn't happen, I just plan on quitting while I'm a head, it's just not worth it to me anymore.
The devs have made it pretty clear:
1.0.0 for emuNAND
3.0.0 for homebrew
3.0.1+ potentially homebrew in the distant future, probably not for years if it did happen
I haven't seen any devs say it is impossible. They have said to stay in 3.0.0 because for now that is guaranteed to have homebrew. Thus if you care about homebrew 3.0.0 is the best option for now. Why would they tell people to not worry about updating when they don't have a certainty of it happening in future firmwares? Hence they tell everyone to stay at 3.0.0 for guaranteed homebrew.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The devs have made it pretty clear:
1.0.0 for emuNAND
3.0.0 for homebrew
3.0.1+ potentially homebrew in the distant future, probably not for years if it did happen
I haven't seen any devs say it is impossible. They have said to stay in 3.0.0 because for now that is guaranteed to have homebrew. Thus if you care about homebrew 3.0.0 is the best option for now. Why would they tell people to not worry about updating when they don't have a certainty of it happening in future firmwares? Hence they tell everyone to stay at 3.0.0 for guaranteed homebrew.

Kinda hard when I have a Switch co-owned by my brother, who both he and I agreed to get XBC2. Getting a second console on <3.0.0 is not only near impossible, but too damn expensive. Only solution I can see me getting one now is paying with PayPal credit at 10% APR over the next twelve months. I almost got a Switch last night on 2.2.0, but it would've wound up costing me $380. And 3.0.1+ homebrew support, I don't see it happening till 2021 or 2023 at least, sounds a lot like the Wii U and how late it got true homebrew.

By then the next console will be out and most of us will have moved on from Switch.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda hard when I have a Switch co-owned by my brother, who both he and I agreed to get XBC2. Getting a second console on <3.0.0 is not only near impossible, but too damn expensive. Only solution I can see me getting one now is paying with PayPal credit at 10% APR over the next twelve months. I almost got a Switch last night on 2.2.0, but it would've wound up costing me $380. And 3.0.1+ homebrew support, I don't see it happening till 2021 or 2023 at least, sounds a lot like the Wii U and how late it got true homebrew.

By then the next console will be out and most of us will have moved on from Switch.
So you've only been negative to everyone because you are salty that you personally won't have homebrew? So you are essentially attacking everyone because of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm