I'm on the verge of dropping out of high school. Any ideas from both sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most jobs are gonna require a high school degree/GED to be hired. Especially IT, pretty sure you need a high school diploma. Don't end up like what my two sisters and older brother did, they all dropped out of high school. Are you wanting to drop out because it's too hard? Tough it out and just complete it.

You want an education, and if you want to go to college, high school will make it easier to be accepted. There's no benefit to dropping.

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say you should ask people around you or at least someone in the same city/country. The importance of a high school degree varies from place to place. In most asian countries for example, it is basically a minimum requirement for every single non-labour job.

But most importantly why would you consider dropping out in the first place?

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at it like a game, you can find easy ways to get around the oppressive nature of school. I skipped exactly 180 days of school over four years, which means I only did three years of school, but still got a diploma. I also found out about diversified occupations, which lets you leave early to go to work. I also did vocational technology, another way to leave school early.

I'd stay in school to make your life easier because most places won't hire you at your age and getting a diploma later in life will cost you time and money, unless you decide to go to jail for free education, but then you'll have a record and that might just be an American thing.

You should also look at school like a place you can meet people who may share your interests. They may even help you decide on colleges or give you good advice.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Stay in school, and at least finish High School. Don't make the same mistake I did. I regret it so much.
In fact, I was lucky to actually find a pretty decent job in a grocery store, that is enough to pay my bills and afford some extras.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The fact of the matter is, rightly or wrongly, the world revolves around qualifications (there's always the 'who you know' factor, but that's something to appreciate rather than rely on). When it comes to job interviews, loan arrangements, or even getting your end away, you'll get more favourable terms if you have qualifications.

You want to work in IT? Well... you've chosen the right place to be earning mega bucks. In the UK, at least, there are more jobs being created than there are people to fill them. But guess what? You're only going to get a decent job in the industry if you have a degree... Otherwise you'll end up as a glorified janitor (with only marginally better pay), cleaning sweat drops from between the keyboard keys in the tech lab which you may well have posted your question from...

Reactions: Quantumcat

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Man, I finished school but didn't got my diploma.
I'm an artist, and got some jobs here and there in Galleries, and as Character designer for Videogames and Comics.
Then I was offered a Scholarship in a certain Art School, but in order to receive it I need my school diploma.
I didn't dropped out, just had some problems with certain teachers (fucking assholes) and that prevented me from receiving.
Nowadays, I'm about to finish highschool yet again, while working for an Comic Company.

Once I complete school, will try to study Software Engineering and perhaps try to get a Scholarship in another art school or maybe in a Videogame Programming school.
:)

My advice: Do not drop out. I know the feeling, the urging to try the world all by ourselves. Truth is, without school you can't get too far by yourself.
So, have patience, life is too short to spend it chasing a dream.
I'm not saying to stop chasing your dreams, but have this words in mind:
A HIGHSCHOOL DIPLOMA WILL GET YOU WHEREVER YOU WANT TO BE FASTER.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In California, you can take a test to get the equivalent of a high school diploma. If you drop out, do that. As a high school teacher, I can honestly say that a few students would be significantly better off without high school. You must be very motivated though.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not as bullshit as dropping out of high school, totally unnecessary. And Comptia certification doesn't last that long, either, so yeah. Don't encourage people to drop out of high school, it's kind of a loser route to take. Don't be so antagonistic.
You have to understand that high school just isn't for some people and there ARE alternatives, that being one of those alternatives.
@smileyhead If no one here has said anything that has made you want to stay in high school, find an alternative. If you can't find an alternative you're interested in, then you should drop out. Otherwise, research and internships will be your best friend from now on.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to understand that high school just isn't for some people and there ARE alternatives, that being one of those alternatives.
@smileyhead If no one here has said anything that has made you want to stay in high school, find an alternative. If you can't find an alternative you're interested in, then you should drop out. Otherwise, research and internships will be your best friend from now on.

Comptia doesn't last that long though, it's not permanent. There was no need to call what I said "bullshit", that was just bloody rude :angry::glare: How about I not say anything at all, and not help people with my experience and advice? Because to me, it sure as hell sounded like it. Does that sound like a viable path for me to take? Sound good? Thanks for the unwarranted and bitter criticism, I look forward to more of your constructive critique.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Quantumcat

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comptia doesn't last that long though, it's not permanent. There was no need to call what I said "bullshit", that was just bloody rude :angry::glare: How about I not say anything at all, and not help people with my experience and advice? Because to me, it sure as hell sounded like it. Does that sound like a viable path for me to take? Sound good? Thanks for the unwarranted and bitter criticism.
I apologize. It was just sounding like you were telling him he HAD to stay in high school to get a job in IT, which I have proven false.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize. It was just sounding like you were telling him he HAD to stay in high school to get a job in IT, which I have proven false.

Well, I'm sorry if I care about people getting a proper education and not taking the easy way out. *sigh* I need a break.

Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16