Hardware Integrated Rechargable GBA mod

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that does help a bit actually, so just to confirm you've got the diode going from the out on the charge board to the in on the gba board?
Yup it is the positive out. So in between of the charge board positive out and the positive lead of the AGB. Remember that these Diodes are directional so you have to get the polarity right. Not a big deal if you don't, its not gonna short anything, its just going to stop the current from going to the AGB logic board.
its always a good idea to test before your permanently solder.

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neither specifically states it but the language in the data sheet would have me believe they both do.

these are them

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904

and

https://www.adafruit.com/product/259

I almost forgot to add my comment lol. The adafruit components are nice. I am still using the generic charge boards because i bought a whole bunch. But i was actually thinking of changing over to the adafruit micro LiPo charger. They are tiny and well built, this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904.

Just make sure that the battery you choose is usable with that board. And idk if i am right on this, but you could do a bit more research on their page, this board has a jumper pad if you are using batteries equal or larger than 500mAh; which is nice..

Last edited by Dend,

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I almost forgot to add my comment lol. The adafruit components are nice. I am still using the generic charge boards because i bought a whole bunch. But i was actually thinking of changing over to the adafruit micro LiPo charger. They are tiny and well built, this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904.

Just make sure that the battery you choose is usable with that board. And idk if i am right on this, but you could do a bit more research on their page, this board has a jumper pad if you are using batteries equal or larger than 500mAh; which is nice..

that's what's giving me pause between the two I don't want to push the charge board with my 2000maH battery

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what's giving me pause between the two I don't want to push the charge board with my 2000maH battery
Wooohhh, thats a lot of battery lol. Consider stepping it down maybe, you can get a looooot of hours with just a 1000 mAh battery.. the AGB does not have a lot of power demand.
What are the dimensions if you don't mind me asking?

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wooohhh, thats a lot of battery lol. Consider stepping it down maybe, you can get a looooot of hours with just a 1000 mAh battery.. the AGB does not have a lot of power demand.
What are the dimensions if you don't mind me asking?

the battery is 60mm x 36mm x 7mm. if it will fit its going to be tight but its what i had around, not opposed to buying something new but wouldn't mind the crazy battery life.

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the battery is 60mm x 36mm x 7mm. if it will fit its going to be tight but its what i had around, not opposed to buying something new but wouldn't mind the crazy battery life.
Thats would be a little tight, if you look at the pics that i posted, the battery is use is around 40 mm X 34 mm X 6mm.
I wasn't comfortable with putting the battery on top of the charge board, the thing gets hot...

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats would be a little tight, if you look at the pics that i posted, the battery is use is around 40 mm X 34 mm X 6mm.
I wasn't comfortable with putting the battery on top of the charge board, the thing gets hot...

it is a concern of mine as well, looking into ways to insulate the two

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is a concern of mine as well, looking into ways to insulate the two
I use a perf board to add surface to logic board on the opening where the battery compartment is. I think that there is some space between the screen and the perf board.
The only thing i can think of, is to put the charge board on the side of the logic board where the screen is, and the battery on the other. Like this they can be completely separated, and it would allow for a larger battery and a larger charge bard as well (if needed).
You would have to wire the the charge port somewhere else though and possibly remove the JS connector and the micro USB connector from the charge board.
Adafruit has these micro USB brake out boards: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1833. Using this you could locate the port anywhere on the case where it can fit. Its quiet intriguing actually, I have another project in the works and i am thinking of using this.

I am going to see if i can send them an email to see what the max battery capacity is for the Micro LiPo charger, id like to use this one too..

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use a perf board to add surface to logic board on the opening where the battery compartment is. I think that there is some space between the screen and the perf board.
The only thing i can think of, is to put the charge board on the side of the logic board where the screen is, and the battery on the other. Like this they can be completely separated, and it would allow for a larger battery and a larger charge bard as well (if needed).
You would have to wire the the charge port somewhere else though and possibly remove the JS connector and the micro USB connector from the charge board.
Adafruit has these micro USB brake out boards: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1833. Using this you could locate the port anywhere on the case where it can fit. Its quiet intriguing actually, I have another project in the works and i am thinking of using this.

I am going to see if i can send them an email to see what the max battery capacity is for the Micro LiPo charger, id like to use this one too..

haha I was looking at that breakout board myself, with a battery this size I'm thinking i would have to remove the connectors either way. so you're thinking of separating the two with a piece of perf board essentially?

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha I was looking at that breakout board myself, with a battery this size I'm thinking i would have to remove the connectors either way. so you're thinking of separating the two with a piece of perf board essentially?
Yup, I already use Perf board to add surface to accommodate the additional components. And perf board is nice because if you connect the dots with solder, you can make kind of like a circuit without needing to use a lot of cable, so it looks really neat.

I think that there is enough space between the perf board and the screen to place the charge board. Obviously the micro usb and JST ports will have to go.

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup, I already use Perf board to add surface to accommodate the additional components. And perf board is nice because if you connect the dots with solder, you can make kind of like a circuit without needing to use a lot of cable, so it looks really neat.

I think that there is enough space between the perf board and the screen to place the charge board. Obviously the micro usb and JST ports will have to go.

interesting idea, i will be giving this a try

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how do you have the perf board secured in there?

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

(edit double post)

Last edited by BB13,

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting idea, i will be giving this a try

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how do you have the perf board secured in there?
I cut it to the shape of the opening in the AGB logic board and put just a bit of hot glue, which is more than enough to make it a whole solid piece.
I will upload a pic when i build by next one.

BB13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I cut it to the shape of the opening in the AGB logic board and put just a bit of hot glue, which is more than enough to make it a whole solid piece.
I will upload a pic when i build by next one.
ahh makes sense thanks

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahh makes sense thanks
So i know its been a while, but i just had time to finish a build and i took pictures of the perf board.
IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5821.JPG
I have connected the led leads to the side pads to connect led lights to the outside of the shell for the charging indicator.

The mounted board:
IMG_5822.JPG image.jpg image.jpg
The battery above is a 750 mAh drone battery, its a perfect fit for this.

The charging port:
image.jpg image.jpg
When its charging the light indicator by the Start Select shines red, when its charged it will shine white.
I found that the Adafruit micro usb brake out board doesnt really fit. The best port i found is the Adafruit DIY micro usb port, its really easy to solder it on.
It looks like this:
image.jpg

I hope this helps.
Cheers

Last edited by Dend,
Reactions: Keylitho and Sliter

Dend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I came up with.. It is quite easy and only requires a bit of soldering..

Nice, thats pretty neat too.
The only thing that id be worried about is having 2 battery cells. This charge board is not the best for charging multiple cells. Eventually the 2 might go out of sync and one might get overcharged. LiIon cells are very picky, and they overheat.
You have to make sure that both have almost the same charge level when combining them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr