Hardware Intel’s new NUC Mini-PCs as console replacement?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
F1509FD1-2563-405B-AB6D-7EB75F5A406C.jpeg

So in case you haven’t heard yet, Intel announced a Mini-PC called NUC in two flavors that use AMD’s new Vega M graphic cards. The higher-end version is said to perform a bit better than Nvidia’s GTX 1060 Max-Q Edition (which is weaker than the regular GTX 1060) and the lower-end version a bit better than a GTX 1050, which makes them sweet for gaming in my opinion.

The device looks a bit like the Wii U. What y’all think how it will fare as a dedicated Steam and emulator machine?

Last edited by WiiUBricker,
Reactions: DarthDub

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dont buy. GPU is pretty much everything these days (Source). Get a refurb, upgrade the graphics card, and the power supply. It will do you just fine.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
first i've seen size/weight or whatever being measured in litres
More like capacity. The smaller the case you’re working with (e.g ITX), the more the manufacturers use litres to measure it. There’s no point with ATX because it can fit just about anything.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
An A4-SFX v2 case (or a similarly sized horizontal PC if you prefer that) is a much better console replacement IMO. At only around 7L, it's about the same size as the original X-Boner, and you can fit a full size GPU and just about any CPU you want save for Threadripper/Core i9 (due to space constraints with the CPU cooler), and upgradability is almost on par with a full size tower (though you can't do SLI)
That's more of a "console replacement for those who want the power of a gaming PC" though, as the case isn't exactly cheap, so it's not really worth putting low end components in it unless you just have some laying around and are planning to upgrade in the near future.
There's something to be said for that upgradability though, which is something all of these ultra small prebuilt PCs lack. And those NUCs aren't exactly cheap either.

And if size is the primary concern, there are lots of ultra small prebuilt PCs with far better specs than this, some even have a GTX 1080 in them, although they are expensive due to the MXM form factor coming with a high price premium for high end GPUs compared to PCI-e.
first i've seen size/weight or whatever being measured in litres
It's becoming a pretty common thing in the SFF market, it's much easier to see at a glance how two different PCs compare in size, especially if they're different form factors.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Dont buy. GPU is pretty much everything these days (Source). Get a refurb, upgrade the graphics card, and the power supply. It will do you just fine.
Of course smaller machines will perform worse than full-sized ones. The fun of Mini PCs are their size, not their power. They claim to be on par with the 1060 and 1050, I believe that's enough.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm more than happy with my current setup but it honestly doesn't look that bad for people who want a small yet reasonably powerful PC. Sure, its GPU might not be upgradeable and if you're really serious about gaming then you should still build your own PC, but it's pretty cool to see a very tiny x86 PC with okay specs.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.. Buy a RasPi for emulation... And lose PC gaming... Buy a used PC/Build Your Own... Except you currently can't build that small. Hm...

Raspberry Pi would be good for emulation if they were a bit more powerful; for N64 emulation, they're pretty piss poor in terms of performance. I'd think one of these would fare better.

Reactions: Kioku

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really dont't understand the point of that video, except for bioshock infinite none of the rest were modern games, and none of the games were even playable.
It just shows the cpu can't keep up with the games, the video is 3 years old now and cpu's play a pretty big role. You get some garbage oem refurb and slap a 1080ti in it and guess what, cpu bottleneck.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.