iPhone vs Android privacy

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,227
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted User

OP
When answering this question please to the best of your ability leave your personal biases out and answer the question as objectively as you can.

Right now I believe the iPhone to be a better choice for privacy concerned individuals. But I have very little knowledge to back up my opinion. Only the time when Apple refused to unlock that guy's iPhone for American authorities and some YouTube video I was watching which said that 80% of Android phones have some sort of tracking technology built in them.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When answering this question please to the best of your ability leave your personal biases out and answer the question as objectively as you can.

Right now I believe the iPhone to be a better choice for privacy concerned individuals. But I have very little knowledge to back up my opinion. Only the time when Apple refused to unlock that guy's iPhone for American authorities and some YouTube video I was watching which said that 80% of Android phones have some sort of tracking technology built in them.
All apple phones have tracking tech in them,

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Never had an Apple so can't voice my opinion on it, but IMHO I suspect that Apple phones (in particular the Apps) are LESS nosy (ie accessing the phone hardware/firmware) than with Android.

Many apps in android show they want permissions for many parts of the hardware/firmware (eg 'why does a game need access to your contacts, camera or calendar' ?? it's a GAME ffs).
In some cases I wonder WHY they want that particular permission..
... but since Apple have a tight control over app development, I suspect Apple checks on the developer(s) to find out WHY they need a access to certain stuff on their phone

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Every phone is a tracking device, don't fool yourself, Android is just worse due to Google business being centered about it.
If you want to be mostly free from tracking, get an Android phone, unlock its bootloader and flash a Google Apps free ROM such as LineageOS and use F-Droid for your apps. Encrypt it and call a day, it will be mostly full free and open source software except for firmware and blobs.
If you want to be TRULY free, get a ReplicantOS supported phone, where every blob is removed and replaced by a free and open source alternative where possible or just don't use a phone.

EDIT: And of course, I want to add that they WILL break into your phone if they want, software isn't perfect and it is always possible to exploit it. Encrypt your goddamn shit if you care about privacy.

Last edited by matpower,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good