Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

This morning I was watching The Wright Stuff on British breakfast television, a daily panel show featuring current news affairs, when I noticed the next topic to be discussed was about a 'computer game' called Detroit Become Human:

ws1.jpg

Detroit: Become Human is the latest game to come from creator David Cage, a 2018 Sony PlayStation 4 exclusive title, that featured a scene of potential domestic child abuse when a new trailer aired at Sony's Paris Game's Week 2017 Conference. You can see the full trailer here:

David Cage is no stranger to controversial subjects in his games. I've played Fahrenheit and also Heavy Rain and both of these games feature murder, the latter with a serial killer who kidnaps a child. So why is this new game suddenly on daytime breakfast TV? Because it's controversial, and without the controversial, off-screen scene, the game wouldn't have appeared on all of the mainstream gaming sites. So we all saw this a month ago, but only now is the printed press and big media catching onto it, because it's an easy target for a headline.

I'm no expert on what Detroit: Become Human is, but I gather from related media that it's a story-driven game with a heavy narrative, much like all of Cage's previous works. You play as an android and throughout the game are presented with game-changing decisions, but do you live through the story as an android would, or do you make the android 'Become Human' by making morally correct decisions as a human would, breaking the android's protocol, kind of I, Roboty. In theory, you could finish the game without even seeing this scene play out the wrong way. Choices given to the player are designed in such a way as to spark some kind of emotion from them. That is what this type of game is all about.

ws2.jpg

I've watched TWS on TV for many years, but today, with a headline like 'Ban Child Abuse Computer Game?' on the TV, I felt compelled to call the show and try and advocate as to why a scene like this in a video game isn't a reason to ban it. To my surprise, I got through!

Here is the clip of the entire discussion on the show today. If you want to skip forward to my call, I am caller number 1 at 05:50:

Mirror (UK):

Before the call I had plenty to say, but under pressure, live on air, with only a minute to talk, I don't think I got my point across as well as I could have, but it did make me think about how non-gamers perceive people who do enjoy experiencing and playing video games. I also wanted to tell Matthew (the host) to watch The Last of Us Part II trailer that was featured at the same gaming show in Paris, and is also a Sony exclusive title. I think that trailer has way more for the non-gaming masses to complain about, than the scenes from Detroit: Become Human. I've also been obliterating hundreds of Nazis with my Schockhammer in Wolfenstein 2 recently, literally blasting them into smithereens, but I've not seen that discussed on TV.

Obviously, this is a touchy subject matter, but in my eyes, it is no different than watching a movie or reading a book. The movie Sleepers immediately came to mind when I was trying to think of comparisons from other media, a 1996 film featuring some of hollywood's top stars suffering from child abuse. Why is that ok, but Detroit isn't?

It makes no sense.

Detroit: Become Human is expected to release worldwide in 2018.

:arrow:Detroit: Become Human Official Site

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just watched the end after OP part.

The guy is obviously trying to twist what people are saying. He trying to equivalent this to real life and only video games. I agree. With that argument, you should banned everything that is even remotely controversial. Fiction or otherwise. Games or otherwise.

Somehow there isn't a moral issue in GTA, but it is in this game. "Amoral game." So if this scene was in an "amoral game" this would be fine with them?

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sleepers immediately came to mind when I was trying to think of comparisons from other media, a 1996 film featuring some of hollywood's top stars suffering from child abuse. Why is this ok, but Detroit isn't?
Easy, because for some reason in some countries videogames aren't considered art, but movies music and paintings are.
Sounds really dumb but it's the truth, sadly

D

Deleted-355425

I just watched the end after OP part.

The guy is obviously trying to twist what people are saying. He trying to equivalent this to real life and only video games. I agree. With that argument, you should banned everything that is even remotely controversial. Fiction or otherwise. Games or otherwise.

Somehow there isn't a moral issue in GTA, but it is in this game. "Amoral game." So if this scene was in an "amoral game" this would be fine with them?

If he is going to use this shit on games then he can apply it to books too, lets see them ban that if it affects games.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the game is fun, it doesn't really matter. Controversial content in movies, TV, and books aren't really anything new. You don't really see the media talk about controversial topics in those forms of entertainment. You can save the child from abuse if the correct options are chose.

This is just another case of the people trying to bash on video games.

D

Deleted User

>sees daily mail in first pic
this is stupid
we all know the daily mail is full of liars who only care about money

this looks like a great game and i might buy a ps4 just for it

their all pissed about that scene but you have the option to save the kid so why are they all pissed?
fucking capitalists

Reactions: Ryccardo

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you got a good enough message delivered, it's a choice, and most people won't willingly choose to have child abuse go on. I'll bring up Mortal Kombat X, you can choose to throw an old woman at your opponent and she'd be seriously hurt or dead. That's funny, entertainment, not real life, it doesn't make me want to do that for real. I would assume playing that Detroit game, the child abuse isn't graphic? Whatever comes of it, you learn to live with your decision, or learn that not going with that is better? It's still learning, engaging, that's what video games can do, the great ones.

It just sounds like bullshit to me. While unrelated, I couldn't help but think of this Apu stuff. For fuck's sake, it took almost 30 years for people to have a problem with the guy? And that's funny, the PC influence joining in on ruining The Simpsons when the show's already been on a decline for years, and it's the creative people to blame. Might as well cancel Family Guy and South Park while you're at it, the former's a Fox mainstay too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: