Is it illegal to go dumpster diving in Arizona?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it technically be classed as theft even though it's been thrown out?

Depends on the state, but most states deem it Public Domain once an item of any value lands itself in a waste receptacle.

Now, that becomes null and void if you have to go onto private property (parking lots, fenced areas, etc...)

Most businesses won't MIND, however, if you dumpster dive, as long as you don't make a mess, and you don't cause a lot of drama.

HOWEVER, chains or locks around a dumpster means absolutely and unquestioningly, that NO, you cannot dumpster dive on this property and doing so will most likely land you in legal trouble.

Take it from a former for-profit dumpster diver.
This about sums it up. If you're interested, you should also look up how Food not Bombs manages to get much of its food. It's sad how much is wasted by large chain stores when they could easily donate what they're planning on tossing out.

There used to be a local supermarket that would give its unused product to homeless every 2 weeks or so. They stopped because homeless started swarming the place looking for free food and for some reason believed they were entitled to it.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it technically be classed as theft even though it's been thrown out?

Depends on the state, but most states deem it Public Domain once an item of any value lands itself in a waste receptacle.

Now, that becomes null and void if you have to go onto private property (parking lots, fenced areas, etc...)

Most businesses won't MIND, however, if you dumpster dive, as long as you don't make a mess, and you don't cause a lot of drama.

HOWEVER, chains or locks around a dumpster means absolutely and unquestioningly, that NO, you cannot dumpster dive on this property and doing so will most likely land you in legal trouble.

Take it from a former for-profit dumpster diver.
This about sums it up. If you're interested, you should also look up how Food not Bombs manages to get much of its food. It's sad how much is wasted by large chain stores when they could easily donate what they're planning on tossing out.

There used to be a local supermarket that would give its unused product to homeless every 2 weeks or so. They stopped because homeless started swarming the place looking for free food and for some reason believed they were entitled to it.

The lesson: People are assholes. What else is new?

Reactions: 1 person

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my area I would honestly be afraid to dumpster dive.... Not because it is against the law or anything, I just have seen waaayyyy too many used syringes by dumpsters and it would be my luck that I would run into the one AID's infected junky who also cares about our planet and decides to throw his used paraphernalia in the dumper for me to stick my self with...

Just something to think about when digging in a dumpster.

Edit: Please be careful, would be horrible to die or get sick over a scratched up disk of Barbie's Horse Adventures for the Wii...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like if someone is dedicated enough to search through a dumpster for its contents, they've earned whatever they can find.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like if someone is dedicated enough to search through a dumpster for its contents, they've earned whatever they can find.

I agree, and to me if some one throws something away, it means they really had no use or value for it and only wanted it gone.

Some of my things I have rescued from a dumpster, I have a Ti 99/4A hard drive enclosure along with extended BASIC some one was throwing away. I think the hard drive is something like a whopping 5MB's lol But it seemed cool to me and I already had a 99 so I snatched it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Although being stuck with needles and worse is certainly a concern PsionicRoshambo it is probably not doing to be HIV that gets you.

I will also note if the dumpster of a business you are raiding has a business foolish enough to junk things with sensitive information (apparently social security numbers still do something in the US that would mean limiting numbers of people that can know it is a good idea) even if you can otherwise justify it then it is probably best to leave it alone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OP go for it unless a cop stops u

Certainly it is not usually worth picking a fight with the police and for the most part I would acquiesce to their demands but I can not necessarily agree with that as an outlook on life; most police will not necessarily know all the various laws (and as others have said this gets kind of specific as to what you can and can not do) not to mention if a policeman knocks on the bin as you are elbow deep in it and you pop up with a bunch of papers with social security numbers or something on and that will probably see you in front of the beak for no good reason.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP u can't get in trouble finding papers with SS numbers on them and u wont find needles as for a fact i haven't even found either they r just trying to scare u for no reason, so go have fun dumpster diving as i have for years now.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News