Hacking Is it "jailbreak", "root", or "hacking" the switch?

"I cant wait to _______ my switch"

• Total voters

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question brought up by fellow peers. I've done a little bit of research and found that the switch kernal is close to freeBSD or horizon (according to plutoo), but the definition for them vary when doing research.​

It just bothers me hearing "I can't wait to jailbreak the switch" when all I can think of is IOS, but I think they called it that for the ps3(4?)
I also figured this would be a decent discussion.

Last edited by blinkzane,

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Rooting seems too Android esque
I often use hack or jailbreak when referring to gaining unauthorized access to my system. Although jailbreak rolls off the tongue easier so I like that more

Spidey_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's called jailbreak on the iPhone because Apple has locked the device to allow apps installed from the App Store only. So you are freeing it from Apple's control.
On Android, it's rooting because you are unlocking the possibility of using the root account with full permission over the system.
So, for consoles and other devices, hacking is the more general term that makes more sense.

Reactions: osaka35 and yanagi
D

Deleted-368796

My vote: BootJack HailRaker

I have no idea why I posted this... but there it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted User

Jailbreaking seems to be alot different than hacking.When you jailbreak you are completely overwriting the firmware and kernel with a modded update,for example to jailbreak a ps3 you install a 3.55 pup on a USB stick through the updater.Now hacking you don't actually overwrite the firmware but you do override the system in order to run custom patches that allow kernel access.Overall jailbreaking seems to be the most complicated since you are installing a modded update most of the time where as hacking you are just using various exploits in order to override the system and bypassing the firmware restrictions.

Last edited by ,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hack it all the way, XBMC as main OS, have full hardware performance access and make it do everything and OC it.

I would even PM a guy from other forum to make me a full custom copper giant heatsink, make a custom battery charger with some high capacity lipos I have and trick the console into docked state while portable.

Ps: I just keep dreaming every day :)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hack. I REALLY wanted to click "Poop on" though. GG.

I fucking HATE the term Jailbreak for consoles. I feel like the term starts from idiot apple fanboys who just don't know anything about hacking.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

jailbreaking was geohots stamp, he broke the iphone and ps3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and root is 777 lol
Fucking hate the term. It's just synonymous with apple bullshit right now, and it just sounds... cringeworthy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: