Hacking Is it "jailbreak", "root", or "hacking" the switch?

"I cant wait to _______ my switch"

• Total voters

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well from my experience with androids, "root" just means you have access to system files in a way that lets you modify them. Rooting does not mean you're hacking, you're just opening access. Jail breaking is similar but is for installing pirated programs. "Hacking" is self explaintory and somewhat plays into both.

In this case we'd be installing custom firmware? I have no experience with iPhones but what little I recall, you didn't change firmware at all. Could be wrong. Root is required to install custom firmware on devices, but you can have root without doing any further modifications. So "hacking" is probably the best way to put it. We are generally modifying the system in various ways for various different things. It's a little of rooting and jail breaking. So, hacking is probably the best term.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
trick the console into docked state while portable.
This would be one great end-goal to have, if we ever get CFW or kernel access. Unless it's a hardware-only trigger. But even then, a small hardware mod to make that happen would be pretty sweet. Run a game at 1080p/900p on the 720p display, because reasons. (Free AA basically, and an un-gimped performance boost, to go.)

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
iOS cracking got it's own special name because it's based upon the freeBSD operating system so "breaking out of the freeBSD jail" ultimately became "jailbreaking." If one wanted to get technical, i guess this term could be used for the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita too.... But i think it should be unique to apple devices.

Android powered devices get their hacking-scene specific name because it's based upon linux. Root is short for root access, or superuser, which is the highest privilege level for a user account.

If one wanted to get technical again, i guess both freeBSD and linux are 'unix like' operating systems, therefore all terms could be used interchangeably, but why complicate things further :P

Reactions: DinohScene

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I've never liked the term "Jailbreak" it just never sat right with me. I prefer the terms "Softmod" or "Hardmod" :)

Same here, it gets on my tits when it's overly used by people when a device/system is exploited. I only ever used the term when discussing IPhone's nothing else.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hack it all the way, XBMC as main OS, have full hardware performance access and make it do everything and OC it.

I would even PM a guy from other forum to make me a full custom copper giant heatsink, make a custom battery charger with some high capacity lipos I have and trick the console into docked state while portable.

Ps: I just keep dreaming every day :)
I like that, 30 minute battery haha.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I love how "poop on" has become a popular vote. I love this site.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have mentioned the others mean something specific.

Rooting means.
1) In Australian English. Fucked, in both senses of the term. "I rooted her" and "my car is rooted, mate" both being phrases you may hear if speaking to an Australian. The only mismatch between variations on the English language likely to cause more snickering is when Americans say fanny pack (known as bumbag in the UK) as fanny is slang in the UK for vagina.
2) Gaining access to the root user or an equivalent. It has a long history in *nix circles, though "got root" is probably the more common term earlier on. Here it is in 1997 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/"got$20root"/alt.hackers.malicious/lC4KlfA-Wbw/tve26vMkgOgJ and it goes back further still. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/"got$20root"
To associate 2) exclusively with Android misses a lot of history and a fair bit of nuance.

Speaking of nuance the idea of the baseband unlock and more general OS level stuff in Apple gear seems not to have been made. With that said I doubt the term jailbreak will be applicable here.

Reactions: blinkzane

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have mentioned the others mean something specific.

Rooting means.
1) In Australian English. Fucked, in both senses of the term. "I rooted her" and "my car is rooted, mate" both being phrases you may hear if speaking to an Australian. The only mismatch between variations on the English language likely to cause more snickering is when Americans say fanny pack (known as bumbag in the UK) as fanny is slang in the UK for vagina.
2) Gaining access to the root user or an equivalent. It has a long history in *nix circles, though "got root" is probably the more common term earlier on. Here it is in 1997 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/"got$20root"/alt.hackers.malicious/lC4KlfA-Wbw/tve26vMkgOgJ and it goes back further still. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/"got$20root"
To associate 2) exclusively with Android misses a lot of history and a fair bit of nuance.

Speaking of nuance the idea of the baseband unlock and more general OS level stuff in Apple gear seems not to have been made. With that said I doubt the term jailbreak will be applicable here.
Nice research with sources!
edit: you just reminded me classes start back today. thanx!

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Archiving purposes."
super_nerd_14.jpg

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nintendo Switch pooping guide when???!

As others have said, rooting means gaining superuser (aka root) access on a linux-based device while jailbreaking originated on the iOS scene, so hacking should be the most appropriate term for the Switch.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "poop on" option in the poll has resulted in many shitposts to occur. No pun intended well maybe :^)

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Hack" is not very precise, but "jailbreak" and "root" both have misleading connotations because they are heavily associated with other devices. On video game consoles, hacks often come in tiers, which I think is all the more reason to just use the term "hack" because it is always accurate even if it isn't very specific. For instance, a userland exploit is certainly not the same thing as "rooting", because you really don't have elevated permissions. A kernel exploit is much closer to the real-deal, but even still there are often system processes (e.g. the bootloader) that rely on further exploits in order to really gain full control of the console. If people refer to a kernel exploit as jailbreaking, then that doesn't leave a better term for when a boot exploit is discovered.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jailbreak is a term that is used on devices that let you execute code outside of the jailed environment.. not just a term for iOS
So basically, the userland?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

jailbreak is a term that is used on devices that let you execute code outside of the jailed environment.. not just a term for iOS
And for Super Mario World :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water