Hacking Is it legal to sell my original DS games once I have dumped them onto my personal flashcart?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
your question - "is it legal to sell?", the answer is yes of course.
whether it is legal or not to keep the dumped game, it depends on where you live.
you will not get punished.
so, don't worry.

if it will be a 'crime' where you live, can you live with that?
if the guilt will keep you up at night, either seek help, or delete the roms.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if one's life is too busy to delete a backup? like forgetting...Then is it still illegal? Does it carry the same consequences. I just can imagine somebody telling a judge work is stressing them out, 4 year old daughter is going to preschool, wife is divorcing them, and oh yeah i forgot to delete a 16Mb file. Woops. And also funny because traces of said ROM will always be on the hard drive even after its trashed(deleted).

Last edited by Retinal_FAILURE, , Reason: Forgot

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the united states of America it is perfectly legal to make a backup of a game or software you own for your own personal use. However it is not legal to keep that backup once you have relinquished ownership of the original copy. IDK about outside of this country. Of further note even if you did so there is little to no chance of you ever getting in trouble over it. I mean Nintendo would ban you for using CFW not for having a backup of your game. (They can't tell the difference. The shop can't even tell if you actually own a game or not if you generate and install a valid ticket for that game it just assumes you own it.) And if Nintendo can't tell how the heck will anyone else short of physically examining your setup and checking purchase records with Nintendo/your physical games against what's installed on your device. But the only reason they would be likely to go after you for dumping games is if you are sharing them too

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
And if one's life is too busy to delete a backup? like forgetting...Then is it still illegal? Does it carry the same consequences. I just can imagine somebody telling a judge work is stressing them out, 4 year old daughter is going to preschool, wife is divorcing them, and oh yeah i forgot to delete a 16Mb file. Woops. And also funny because traces of said ROM will always be on the hard drive even after its trashed(deleted).
You could also shred it, so no traces.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No, but no one will ever find out. Nintendo are a massive money whore they can afford to make mistakes like the Wii U and still brush it off.

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jezus fuk. no one gives a shit about downloading backups. its the act of uploading and compounded with for profit clik ads that companys actually act upon the pirates. example years ago i was torrenting ps2 ISOs. lego star wars being 2 major brands had their antipiracy team trace all the IPs of the seeders aka uploaders and sent cease and dissist to me and thousands of others. hence tor. if downloading roms was so illegal there wouldnt be dozens of iso sites that have been around for 15+ years

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven’t actually done any of this, ever. My 2DS XL is coming next week with a couple of original games and I was planning to dump said games onto a flashcart so I can have them all on the go. I am completely new to this ‘flashcart’ scene and I have read several threads saying that it is completely legal to own a flashcart as long as no roms downloaded from the internet are on it. But is it legal to dump your own games, to then re sell the original ones. Virtually enabling me to play original games for free.

It doesn’t seem right at all, but I haven’t found anyone directly saying that this is illegal. I have read the official legal document outlining Nintendo’s stand on ROMS (which didn’t mention flashcarts, but did allow the backing up of files).

If I were to go through with this, is there any way for an authority (e.i. Nintendo) to verify that the dumped games are indeed from my collection, even if I don’t have the original game cartridges any more.

I am not even sure if I’ll do this, even if it’s legal.

ps. I need flashcart recommendations. I was thinking R4i gold but if you have any better ones lmk.

Also, this is pretty dumb but I just want to make sure. Can I play flashcart games even in a new clean system with no mods/hombrew apps?

it's illegal but the police won't break down ur door and say STOP PIRATE SCUM

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the rant you've just triggered a tech geek. Technically as you write more things to the drive, the data would be overwritten by the drive to make more space for other things (on both HDD's and SSD's), eventually making the data unrecoverable. However, if you don't download much or put more files on your computer, then the odds that it is possible to find is very likely. Again, sorry for the rant, but the odds of a file's remnants that's only 16mb staying on a drive for more than a few months is very unlikely.

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as we can tell, the only way Nintendo can detect if you're playing a downloaded ROM is if you go online with a game that hasn't been released yet.
Not true. If multiple people go online with the same private header nintendo can and will ban them, even if the game has been released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn