Misc Is it possible to make Nintendo USB wifi connector work?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know what this is?

1200px-Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector.jpg

Well the name says it all. Is a wifi usb connector for nintendo consoles... powered by Buffalo. Some people may not have heard or seen this. I have one, in fact I bought one back in 2008, so i can play games online with my NDS, games like Mega Man Star force, Sonic Rush Adventure and Bleach Blade of Fate. Is been discontinued after about 3 years with the functionality limited to earlier versions of windows, (windows XP/Vista) Is possible to use it in systems like wii, 3DS and even wii u. The fact it can be used if you still owned a outdated, not in production item in 2012 (The year wii u was released) is a bit weird unless they intended to make a new one but didn't? I dunno. :unsure:

Anyway, if you wondering why I am bringing this up, well like i said I have one, and it can be used on various nintendo consoles. Basically what I am asking is if members of the site could maybe get it functional on modern os. Someone may wonder why do this? Think of it as a challenge.... Sound like a very poor excuse I guess.

Well you are right, I said is very uncommon product, is outdated and probably not many people have it. But considering the people who do have it, could use it. For one thing NDS games uses wifi security that is WEP, something no one in 2017 uses anymore. (Assuming people have good routers up to B/G/N AC dual band) would normally use WPA or something, so your system can't use it unless you.
  1. Make a non secure open wifi hotspot
  2. Use WEP wifi
Sure you can do something like that with a cellphone or something, but this was designed to maybe just avoid complex workarounds with a software and wifi usb that made the process simple and easy.

Now I'm not asking anyone to do it, just curious if someone maybe would be interested. If they want to do it, maybe a challenge of some sort. I notice many people do such things as a challenge to test skill or have a project to work on, so for anyone curious, the software is here, and if anyone doesn't really care, well that is also a option. (Probably one i expect the most here)
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/customersupport/downloadUSB.jsp

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh good, you made a thread. If someone makes a modern driver for it, I sure hope they're able to digitally sign it, or even fakesign the driver so there's no issues installing it.

eza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The easiest way to get it to work these days is to run it in a virtual machine.
Windows Vista is the most recent version of Windows that the software still runs on.
I have a minimal Vista VM that I fire up when I want to get my old Wii and DSes online.

Reactions: Minox

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also have the same issue: I can’t get my DS online. I dont have a Nintendo WFC connector or an old router (it was thrown away), but I do have a raspberry pi and a really old Wifi dongle. I was thinking I could plug it in and configure some things to get it to run as a WEP access point but IDK how to do it as I have little linux or networking knowledge. But I’m sure it might work if I could follow a guide and copy and paste the commands from somewhere.

DJOshawott

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Annoyingly, I can't find out how to make a VM work properly, and compatibility mode doesn't seem to work because it suddenly stops installing, saying I need to connect the USB... for some reason.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a wifi usb adaptor for nintendo systems, including the wii. But the wii you mentioned does not have access to wifi. It will work on systems that do (Not including nintendo switch) You plug it into the pc and use the internet connection the pc has to give internet to the wii systems that don't have access tot the internet over wifi. :ninja:

Reactions: Alexander1970

Lozzaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The easiest way to get it to work these days is to run it in a virtual machine.
Windows Vista is the most recent version of Windows that the software still runs on.
I have a minimal Vista VM that I fire up when I want to get my old Wii and DSes online.

Hey, I've been spending way too long to get this, done, is there any chance we could talk about this more, i have a vista and a XP Vm running through VirtualBox, i disable firewall, virus protection etc and i get the application error :( Cheers

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Easiest way is probably to buy an old router, disable dhcp, etc and just use it as a wap.

Not ideal, but it may be the easiest in the long run.

Hey, I've been spending way too long to get this, done, is there any chance we could talk about this more, i have a vista and a XP Vm running through VirtualBox, i disable firewall, virus protection etc and i get the application error :( Cheers

What’s the error?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Lozzaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Easiest way is probably to buy an old router, disable dhcp, etc and just use it as a wap.

Not ideal, but it may be the easiest in the long run.

What’s the error?
Right, so in the last 10 mins i got it working on the XP VM, it booted up and my ds connected to it (after a few tries to be real) however, i didnt expect that it will then error (20110) 'Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service for this software has been discontinued, Visit nintendo... etc etc.

I really didn't prepare for this bit, so what next? any help would be wildly appreciated :)

Attachments

• 84357142_169906010979925_2289665628346253312_n.jpg
    84357142_169906010979925_2289665628346253312_n.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 1,233

actualkoifish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could say; I have an adapter (that I actually used in the day to make a wifi connection before anybody I knew had wifi, a concept which now seems totally alien!), but not only do I not know if DS games work online with it (I don't know what DS games are still running via fan servers) but I also don't use it with a VM, as I'm fortunate enough to have a computer which runs the original OS and which I use instead for these matters. Sorry I can't be more helpfu. If you tell me what you want to do with it, then in a month or so I will be free and can check it out.

Reactions: Stealphie
D

Deleted User

Disregarding OS'es. I'll use a VM anyway. If my network is WPA2 and i use this connector, will my DS be able to connect to the internet?
it basically tunnels the network connection through your computer to this stick. i used to use one of these back before i even had wifi

i still even have the stick lol

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Stealphie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands