Homebrew Is there going to be something homebrew related to get free online ?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When people who worked on the 3ds are the ones saying it is unlikely, I'm much more inclined to believe them than you.
People in the wii scene said 3ds was unlikely. You don't have to be a named hacker to see patterns. The only thing that has ever kept a console from being hacked is a lawsuit

Edit, wait, that one was hacked too

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People in the wii scene said 3ds was unlikely. You don't have to be a named hacker to see patterns. The only thing that has ever kept a console from being hacked is a lawsuit

Edit, wait, that one was hacked too
Last I checked the important 3ds hackers didn't come from the wii scene. That's the difference. The majority of the switch hackers came from the 3ds scene, so they have actual experience in both. And they have said it's far different this time around.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked the important 3ds hackers didn't come from the wii scene. That's the difference. The majority of the switch hackers came from the 3ds scene, so they have actual experience in both. And they have said it's far different this time around.
That's exactly my point someone else will come along. I'm telling you bro lol. Bunny huang did the xbox, dark Alex did the psp, twiizers did the wii, smea, yellows8 and the like with the ds scene. There will be someone more familiar with the security that will come along.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nvidia Shield Portable sucks, its way too weak and have no games unless you really love the unfinished crap Android games...

I have Nvidia Shield Tablet and I'm still waiting for games. Nvidia promise games, but it's dead long time ago.

I only bought Borderlands 2 and only tested it, also I don't have a shield controller so I either have to connect my X360 or PS4 controller with a cable which is a big hassle, specially when the battery dies in like 2 hours. And the fact that even if I had Nvidia controller I would not like to carry it with me. Only a tablet with built in controllers would make me jump into portable gaming.

Ps: I keep dreaming with a hacked Nintendo Switch and actually playing a few games that I can also have on PC or PS4.

Last edited by guily6669,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nvidia Shield Portable sucks, its way too weak and have no games unless you really love the unfinished crap Android games...

I have Nvidia Shield Tablet and I'm still waiting for games. Nvidia promise games, but it's dead long time ago.

I only bought Borderlands 2 and only tested it, also I don't have a shield controller so I either have to connect my X360 or PS4 controller with a cable which is a big hassle, specially when the battery dies in like 2 hours. And the fact that even if I had Nvidia controller I would not like to carry it with me. Only a tablet with built in controllers would make me jump into portable gaming.

Ps: I keep dreaming with a hacked Nintendo Switch and actually playing a few games that I can also have on PC or PS4.
The shield portable is powerful enough to run anything that would run as homebrew on the switch. And at a lower price point. I still don't see why anyone would buy another switch just for homebrew when other devices are much better at running homebrew natively at a lower cost. The one thing I've heard people look forward to for homebrew is emulators, which is one of the main things I use my shield portable for.
Also the shield portable had half life 2 and portal. And they played fine for me.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
you know if people like you would just STFU with this sentiment and protest and complain instead of encouraging them then they would just reverse their course and not charge at all
remember xboxone DRM policy?
Then slay the snake (Microsoft started this... not Sony or Nintendo). Also protest? I'm not paying for online anyway so... I guess I protest already?

Reactions: weatMod

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The shield portable is powerful enough to run anything that would run as homebrew on the switch. And at a lower price point. I still don't see why anyone would buy another switch just for homebrew when other devices are much better at running homebrew natively at a lower cost. The one thing I've heard people look forward to for homebrew is emulators, which is one of the main things I use my shield portable for.
Also the shield portable had half life 2 and portal. And they played fine for me.
For the sake of saying they did it I guess. I bought the switch to play its games. Homebrew? It's nice to have the option, but it's not integral to me enjoying the platform. People confuse me.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the sake of saying they did it I guess. I bought the switch to play its games. Homebrew? It's nice to have the option, but it's not integral to me enjoying the platform. People confuse me.
I also don't care much for emulators since the only games I wanted emulated would never probably never run good on the switch like GT4 from PS2 which even on my I7 at night races it lagged like hell on my old GTX570, didn't test on my RX480 though...

I want is the top graphics\physics games of nowadays on a portable device.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short answer is, No.
How do you figure? Nintendo's online does not appear to be a server side thing, or mostly server side thing (though this not fatal to this), and there have been plenty of such things before. Indeed it is mostly an effort thing, with no money and no bans for customising games historically being the two main driving forces.
Is there some aspect of the security system that makes it infeasible?

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've said it a million times, but you can't base anything off of other consoles. ESPECIALLY much older consoles that had much worse security.
Well, considering current Gen consoles are based on the architecture of their predecessors and networking hasn't changed at all in the past 20 years, I'd say youre basing that on an ill informed opinion. Those "much older shitty security systems" were the last gen. Not atari's.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, considering current Gen consoles are based on the architecture of their predecessors and networking hasn't changed at all in the past 20 years, I'd say youre basing that on an ill informed opinion. Those "much older shitty security systems" were the last gen. Not atari's.
You are factually incorrect on literally everything you've said. All three consoles changed architecture, and networking protocols have changed too, and they constantly change. I know because I had to learn it as part of my Cisco CCNA training.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You are factually incorrect on literally everything you've said. All three consoles changed architecture, and networking protocols have changed too, and they constantly change. I know because I had to learn it as part of my Cisco CCNA training.
Then explain nonemulated backwards compatability and the fact I can boot w98 and browse google.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then explain nonemulated backwards compatability and the fact I can boot w98 and browse google.
Ps3 had ps2 hardware in the phat, everything else actually is software based backwards compatibility.
PS3 used cell, PS4 used x86
XBOX 360 used PPC, Xbox One uses x86
WiiU used PPC, switch uses arm

You are seriously misinformed about consoles and should do some research before making yourself look like an even bigger fool

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So again you are factually incorrect about "nonemulated"
Did you just quote me twice? The switch is marketed as a the next gen home console but is actually a handheld. An upgrade of the ds/3ds. Which is also arm. Which is also the console we're talking about. Don't get so caught up in being right that you lose sight of what we're argueing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So again you are factually incorrect about "nonemulated"
Its why on Xbox backwards compatibility only has a set list of games.
For the sake of quoting twice, there is no reason why an alternative online service cant be made. You tunnel the network connections of several consoles and create a centralized service to manage it. May take a fully exploited system to circumvent security, but it is possible. It's been done, is the part you guys keep ignoring.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you just quote me twice? The switch is marketed as a the next gen home console but is actually a handheld. An upgrade of the ds/3ds. Which is also arm. Which is also the console we're talking about. Don't get so caught up in being right that you lose sight of what we're argueing.
That's like saying because one arm device is hacked all arm devices can be hacked. Which isn't at all how it works. Arm is the architecture, but they are completely different chips with different instruction sets and hardware. The 3ds and switch are not very similar in terms of hardware other than architecture, which again means nothing. You won't be playing ds games via hardware compatibility on the thing, you'd need software because the hardware isn't similar enough. You need more than architecture. You have very limited knowledge in how hardware and networking actually works. And given you've given nothing but false information so far you have nothing to back your claims still. You were wrong about the architectures of the other two consoles and wrong about non-emulated backwards compatibility. Just leave it to people who have an education for and work with hardware and networking. You seem to not really know what you are talking about.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's like saying because one arm device is hacked all arm devices can be hacked. Which isn't at all how it works. Arm is the architecture, but they are completely different chips with different instruction sets and hardware. The 3ds and switch are not very similar in terms of hardware other than architecture, which again means nothing. You won't be playing ds games via hardware compatibility on the thing, you'd need software because the hardware isn't similar enough. You need more than architecture. You have very limited knowledge in how hardware and networking actually works. And given you've given nothing but false information so far you have nothing to back your claims still. You were wrong about the architectures of the other two consoles and wrong about non-emulated backwards compatibility. Just leave it to people who have an education for and work with hardware and networking. You seem to not really know what you are talking about.
I'm saying the same thing about you. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong about the possibility of third party online services, then the burden of evidence is on you. If you can't explain directly why it isn't possible without argueing several other tangents, then your input means nothing. I've seen it done on systems a gen prior to the switch. The only problem I see is security, which is only an issue of time. So instead of telling what a misinformed fool I am, share that authority of expertise and enlighten me. Why isn't it possible?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.