Hacking kexploit for switch achieved by plutoo and friends *no release*

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Joycon isn't the only controller switch has
2. I've had no issues playing with joycon in any way, especially when I use a mumba case in handheld mode. In fact that's the main way I play it. And based on data more people play in handheld mode than any other mode
3. The dpad is awkward at first but surprisingly I got used to it
4. I've had no issues quickly transitioning from face buttons to the right joystick. I've been able to use it just as easily as any other controller
5. Are you really using the joycon as you main point that the system is only a novelty?

1. No shit. But the joy-con is what you use for portable mode. You could use the pro controller but at that point I'd just take my laptop.
5. Not exactly. The joy-con is one of the main reasons that it sucks as a portable. Other reason are that it's too big, has a plastic screen, and meh battery life. It being impractical as a portable is why I call it a novelty. If you take a lot of public transit or you're in school I could see it being more practical (forgiving the joy-con). Otherwise how are people using this thing portably? Rooftop parties? Meeting skinny blondes in the airport? I should stop now. I'm totally derailing this thread. I guess you guys know that I think the Switch stinks on ice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you mean the fucking etcha-sketch?

Admittedly ridiculous, but ergonomic enough to be usable. I think the joy-con are equally ridiculous with worse ergonomics.

Four of those points are nonsense. The "more powerful for the time" is just flat out wrong. The controller point is an opinion, and frankly I think the wii u game pad sucked. Most games either didn't utilize us or utilized it poorly. The switch is a portable hybrid. Most people keep their portable devices in sleep mode so it's ready to use. Also it's a very silly point to say that's a big reason wii u is better.
Power adapter is also another silly point. I use so many devices that use wall warts. It's really not a valid point to wii u being better.

How is more powerful for the time wrong. You're saying the jump in performance from the Wii U to the Switch is representative of a four year advance in technology? Power adapter is not a silly point to me. Just because other devices use them that doesn't make them suck any less. I'd like to use all the outlets on my surge protector. Little things count to me. If the old system could be turned off/on with the controller the new one should be able to as well.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No shit. But the joy-con is what you use for portable mode. You could use the pro controller but at that point I'd just take my laptop.
5. Not exactly. The joy-con is one of the main reasons that it sucks as a portable. Other reason are that it's too big, has a plastic screen, and meh battery life. It being impractical as a portable is why I call it a novelty. If you take a lot of public transit or you're in school I could see it being more practical (forgiving the joy-con). Otherwise how are people using this thing portably? Rooftop parties? Meeting skinny blondes in the airport? I should stop now. I'm totally derailing this thread. I guess you guys know that I think the Switch stinks on ice.

Admittedly ridiculous, but ergonomic enough to be usable. I think the joy-con are equally ridiculous with worse ergonomics.
The curvature of the wii u gamepad isn't ergonomic. The only reason its more comfortable is that it's a much thicker controller. But if you make the joycon thicker its less portable, which you've already said the system is too big. So you can't ask for both. And I play handheld all the time, even at home. So no it is good enough for me to play Mario.
As for battery, it's on par with almost every other portable gaming device I've seen. Some gaming laptops have worse battery life, and other handheld have marginally better battery with far inferior hardware.

Smogen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DocAmes1980

"Otherwise how are people using this thing portably?"

I randomly asked a guy sitting next to me on an airplane if he wanted to play Mario Kart. We had a great time and he ended up being the owner of a really good restaurant in town. He hooked me up when I went in a few weeks later. I primarily play the Switch at home but it's awesome that you can take it with you.

colanwiser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... they still havent released a switch hack. Back to listening to Haydn while I drink Dr. McGillicudys intense rootbeer. And no, I don't care.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not this again. Do you realize the small percentage of the user base that can take advantage of the smhax vulnerability? Piracy is eventually possible on every platform. The Switch has WAY bigger cons in the eyes of devs than .1% of the user base being able to pirate launch window games (games that require 3.0.0 or below). The vulnerability has been fixed so that argument doesn't even make sense. Sounds like fanboys are looking for something to blame for devs lack of interest in bringing inferior versions of their games to a novelty platform like the Switch.
totally agree with the 1st part but i think there will be ways to get 3.0.0 + working eventually
and the switch is selling quite well so i don't think it is that much of a novelty platform, i expected it to be another wii u but has already sold nearly twice as many units than wii u did in it's entire life
and it is starting to get some 3rd party games now

Reactions: DocAmes1980

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
totally agree with the 1st part but i think there will be ways to get 3.0.0 + working eventually
and the switch is selling quite well so i don't think it is that much of a novelty platform, i expected it to be another wii u but has already sold nearly twice as many units than wii u did in it's entire life
and it is starting to get some 3rd party games now
That "double the wii u" thing is false. It hasn't even outsold the wii u life yet, let alone double. Though it is estimated to outsell the wii u life in its first year.

Reactions: weatMod

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with what you said about the thickness. However, the joy-con thickness, or lack thereof, isn't my main issue. It's the lack of a d-pad and the right thumbstick position relative to the face buttons. I realize they did this to accommodate the "share the joy" feature but that doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. I can't use the joy-con comfortably so I don't use them. Therefore the portability is a non-feature for me. The only game I've played that is comfortable in portable is Fast RMX because it doesn't need a d-pad or the right thumbstick. I'm honestly envious of anybody that can use the joy-con. It would be nice to be able to use the portable feature even though I don't have a compelling use case for it besides on the toilet.

What has this got to do with the topic? Yes we all know you don't like the Switch, who cares? Many people do like it. This is about hacking the switch not about what you like more...

Reactions: Kioku

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has this got to do with the topic? Yes we all know you don't like the Switch, who cares? Many people do like it. This is about hacking the switch not about what you like more...

A user made a post stating that he thought that this milestone was bad news because it would make 3rd party devs reluctant to port games to the Switch. I disagreed in a reply post. Everything else has been a response to people who quoted me. Read the post that started this for more info. Thanks for stopping out. Welcome to GBATemp.

stevjd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A user made a post stating that he thought that this milestone was bad news because it would make 3rd party devs reluctant to port games to the Switch. I disagreed in a reply post. Everything else has been a response to people who quoted me. Read the post that started this for more info. Thanks for stopping out. Welcome to GBATemp.

This was in your first post, you knew exactly what you were doing by saying this...

novelty platform like the Switch.

Either way I'm just going to block so this can get back on topic.

Last edited by stevjd,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with what you said about the thickness. However, the joy-con thickness, or lack thereof, isn't my main issue. It's the lack of a d-pad and the right thumbstick position relative to the face buttons. I realize they did this to accommodate the "share the joy" feature but that doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. I can't use the joy-con comfortably so I don't use them. Therefore the portability is a non-feature for me. The only game I've played that is comfortable in portable is Fast RMX because it doesn't need a d-pad or the right thumbstick. I'm honestly envious of anybody that can use the joy-con. It would be nice to be able to use the portable feature even though I don't have a compelling use case for it besides on the toilet.
Just out of interest, if you hate the ergonomics of the Switch, think it's underpowered and aren't at all interested in portability...why the hell are you so interested in homebrew! You prefer your Wii U by your own admission and that has and always will have superior homebrew due to DS and Wii ability so why do you get involved in 3.0.0 master race flames with people having updated?

Essentially you have a console you hate, with features you won't use, and build quality you can't get used to and yet you are keeping it under 3.0.0 to use homebrew you already have on Wii U only here its worse. I really have no words..

Last edited by Risingdawn,
Reactions: satan89

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of interest, if you hate the ergonomics of the Switch, think it's underpowered and aren't at all interested in portability...why the hell are you so interested in homebrew! You prefer your Wii U by your own admission and that has and always will have superior homebrew due to DS and Wii ability so why do you get involved in 3.0.0 master race flames with people having updated?

Essentially you have a console you hate, with features you won't use, and build quality you can't get used to and yet you are keeping it under 3.0.0 to use homebrew you already have on Wii U only here its worse. I really have no words..
i agree this thread way is off topic but
TBH i am kind of in the same situation ,my switch is sitting in the box on 3.0.0 i only took it out for a few minutes when i got it and i immediately noticed the joycons were shit , the analogs feel awful and your finger just slips right off of the trigger buttons

i sort of knew this going in though everyone said that a pro controller was a necessity with this system and the 1st thing i was anxious to find out was if they were right the 1st thing i did after unboxing and before immediate reboxing was to check out the joycons on the grip and on the screen after almost breaking them putting them on and off i found them to feel quite awful and that what i heard was pretty much spot on

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard, smhax isn't a necessity for kernel, as soon as a webkit exploit is available, you can attempt to attack kernel anyway. Theoretically, the kexploit can work on latest firmware as it doesn't exactly utilize smhax. smhax allowed us to dig and search, but it's not needed to pull off a sploit even if we used it to look for one.

I've heard this all from Dazozzo, not looking to start a flame-war with inaccurate speculation. He is a contributor to the switch hacking scene as it is so he's reliable.

Last edited by Psi-hate,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol