KipMudz's solution to malfunctioning DSLite's shoulder buttons

WARNING!!!
This procedure requires extra care since we're dealing with DSLite's tiny and some sensitive parts. I'm not held responsible if any your DSLite's parts or the entire unit was lost or screwed up while doing this procedure. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Hello guys, this is my guide on how to fix a malfunctioning DSLite shoulder buttons. This guide will not cover the problem about the shoulder buttons which is not clicking anymore because the metal plate inside the trigger have reached its end of life. I read a lot of topics here at temp about the unresponsive shoulder buttons of the Nintendo DS handheld console (all revisions) and a lot of people here said that blowing the gaps of the shoulder buttons will solve this issue. But for me, blowing the gaps of the shoulder button will do NOTHING just like blowing the cartridges of a game console! The reason why the compressed air trick will not work because the mechanism inside the trigger was sealed! So I made my own solution to this issue which involves tearing down the console. Using this solution, I already fixed four DSLites so far.

For the guide regarding the DSLite disassembly for those who never disassembled a DSLite before, go here... or to this site. The parts required to open the unit were already mentioned on that guide.

If you're done disassembling your DSLite, you will need these following tools to fix the trigger buttons:
  • Fat sewing needle - Will be used to open the metal shielding of the triggers. Any tools with pointed tips comparable to the sewing needle can be used too.
  • A pair of needle-nosed or long-nosed pliers - Will be used for returning the triggers to its original state.
  • Abrasive paper #1200 - The smoothest one I found and this will be used to clean the metal contacts of the triggers.
  • A piece of magnet - Will be used to secure the tiny metal plate inside the trigger button (not needed if you're very careful enough with these parts). The stronger, the better. A good example is the magnet found inside the hard disk drive.
  • Any kind of adhesive - Same function as the magnet. Be sure that the metal disc/plate can be removed in that adhesive that you will use after cleaning. Use if if you don't have a magnet.
  • A cleaning solution for metal contacts - Use it if you hate scratching things or if you're afraid of messing up the contacts and the metal disc/plate.
So, let's get it started!!!

Locate the defective triggers of your DSLite. The triggers are those parts marked with circles are shown below the image.

DPZqj.jpg

Now, let's begin opening the triggers of the DSLite!

First, grab your needle and put its tip to the part shown in the image below. then push it gently until the metal strip gets bent. Repeat this on the other side of the trigger. Don't bend the metal strip too much.

LQ17d.jpg

The metal strip should look like this...

eKPSS.jpg

Then, put the tip of the needle on the gap between the metal shielding and the plastic then push it gently just like in the previous step. Remember, do not over-bend things.

UrrkV.jpg

It should look like this...

VjsPU.jpg

After opening the trigger, you will see the the real reason why the DSLite's shoulder buttons are malfunctioning even the buttons are still clicky... The oxidized metal contacts of the trigger!

lRfjo.jpg

Now let's proceed on cleaning the contacts!

First, take out the metal plate (the part that gives the clicking effect and connecting the terminals inside the trigger when pressed) and the rubber button.
WARNING!!! Don't lose these parts or else, you permanently screwed your DSLite's shoulder buttons up! Unless, you have some extra... Put the metal plate in a piece of magnet or adhesive (if you have one) then grab an abrasive paper. Cut a little piece then fold it like on the image...

wX1UQ.png

After folding the abrasive paper, clean the oxidized part of the metal plate with the sharp tip of the folded abrasive paper. The metal plate should look shiny like this... (please disregard that bump on the metal since I accidentally folded that thing during the clean-up!)
If the metal disc/plate was bent/folded, the clicking factor of that metal will be reduced so avoid it from being bent/folded at all cost.

CIOYe.jpg

After cleaning the metal plate, proceed to the metal contacts inside the trigger. If you having trouble cleaning that part with the folded abrasive paper, you can use the needle to scratch the metal contacts. Scratch it until the contacts became shinier. If you have some cleaning solution for metals, put some drop on it.

4INvW.jpg

After cleaning these two parts, you can re-assemble the trigger now. Put the metal plate first then put the rubber button on the top of the metal plate. Close the opening by pushing the metal shielding to the plastic part of the trigger. When its closed, return the bent metal strips to its original state by using a pair needle-nosed pliers (I lost my needle-nose pliers so I used a normal long-nosed pliers instead.). Don't put too much pressure on it because you may crush the trigger!)

BcMBv.jpg

Optional step: For much better sealing, re-solder the solder points of the metal shielding.

When you're done on sealing the trigger, re-assemble the unit now and test if it works now!

UPDATE:
Added TwinRetro's and Foxi4's suggestion to the guide, added some precautions about cleaning the metal contacts and added some tools needed.
If you found something wrong on this guide or want to add something, just post it! I hope that this guide helped some people who have some trouble with DSLite's malfunctioning shoulder buttons!

THANKS FOR READING!!!

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
ALRIGHT! This worked like a charm! ;D Thanks for the detailed info and excellent photos.

Just as a heads up for anyone thinking of trying this, this is likely the easiest thing to repair on the DSlite. You don't need to deal with anything except the back cover and the triggers themselves. Helluva lot easier than replacing the button pads, I tell you what.

D

Deleted-236924

I just did this to restore my L/R buttons back to new on my Lite I was repairing. Ordered tri-wing screwdriver, ordered replacement case, did all the work of opening my two broken DS Lites and switching the working screen from one to connect it to the motherboard of the other one, had to deal with taking apart the touch screens to swap the touch panels between both my DSes because I carelessly damaged the touch panel on the functional bottom screen I had (touch panel on the broken screen was fine so I swapped them), had to deal with shoddy quality of replacement case which made it a lot harder than it should have, learned not to put the screws back on until I know everything is working, got pissed because power went out shortly after I began work so I had to halt due to it being too dark, finally finished it hours later once power came back... only for me to try playing a game and remembering that my L/R buttons weren't really working :P

So I looked up "fix ds lite l r buttons" on Google and this thread was the first result :) turns out taking apart the shoulder triggers isn't as tedious and easy to mess up as I thought it would be, and it's amazing just how much rust accumulates up in there. Scratching at the metal contact inside the trigger and at the metal plate and being amazed at just how much shinier I can make it just by doing that. Put everything back together and went back in a game, L/R buttons working perfectly now :3

Edit: If you're interested, this is how the metal caps inside my triggers looked like... http://i.imgur.com/NhaDYS2.jpg
They were completely done lol.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: KipMudz and daxtsu

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Works like a treat. Although the button components are a lot smaller than I expected...
I've grown up with my DS lite ever since I got it for christmas when I was 8, and it was huge thing in my school even back then. Heck, I even had a birthday cake shaped like one! Its gone through some wear over the years and I thought the R button was broken because I was presing too hard on it...

BTW could you make a tutorial on how to deoxidise the Slot-1 contacts? It would be much appreciated as it always takes a few tries for me to insert my gamecard before it can read it.

gemliu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A much easier, less invasive and equally good working method is to use contact spray on the buttons. Worked perfectly for me on several consoles.

Vraspus

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This actually really helped,ive wanted to replace the button entirely.I registered just to say thanks,since my button hasnt been working for a year (it was just not responding to clicks once in a while at first,then stopped working completly),but you saved me the trouble of buying and soldering a new one.Thank you!

Last edited by Vraspus,

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A much easier, less invasive and equally good working method is to use contact spray on the buttons. Worked perfectly for me on several consoles.

I just found this thread through google search. Once I understood the issue I thought contact spray too. I sprayed some WD-40 in a small container, soaked it up with a Qtip and applied liberally. Dried it out with some compressed air and worked like a charm. Seems less complicated and risky, I didn't want to be bending things in it.

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just found this thread through google search. Once I understood the issue I thought contact spray too. I sprayed some WD-40 in a small container, soaked it up with a Qtip and applied liberally. Dried it out with some compressed air and worked like a charm. Seems less complicated and risky, I didn't want to be bending things in it.
Bloody hell
I'd literally forgotten about this thread until you bumped it

valdeadz

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just registered to this forum to thank you for this excellent post...
Very well detailed explanations and pics.
Results are fantastic.
I used this to restore other buttons I also had experiencing trouble with.
Very much appreciated.

The best from Mexico.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for the bump but I have to say that this method should be a standard, at least for people like me and others that have experience in console repairing. Nowdays is pretty hard to get new parts for these buttons, and sometimes you need to "adapt" other types of buttons that barely match but still work anyway. This changes everything and restores the older but original buttons back to their factory state.

Thank you so much!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for the bump but I have to say that this method should be a standard, at least for people like me and others that have experience in console repairing. Nowdays is pretty hard to get new parts for these buttons, and sometimes you need to "adapt" other types of buttons that barely match but still work anyway. This changes everything and restores the older but original buttons back to their factory state.

Thank you so much!
In the case of 3DS it is pretty easy to get the flex cables with new buttons and they are cheap. Installing them is much easier than this repair method.
As far as I know replacements for the other DS consoles are available as well, but for DS Lite and 2DS it requires soldering experience.

That said, I used this tutorial successfully for a DSi when not having spare parts at hand and can confirm it is a very good method, albeit requiring patience and care (to not lose any parts).

• Love
Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

godstriker8

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fixed my R button, but I think I ruined the clickiness of my button. Now it feels like crap... Might have to get another contact from somewhere and put it in my R button.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm