• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Las Vegas Shooting

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it is isn't it? And sometimes "basic" rights need to be removed for the greater good. Or at least try to make sure it's regulated and not just anyone can get a gun.
Also, I'm not saying the entirety of the constitution is stupid, just I don't understand it's arms policy.

Don't tell me I can't buy a van just because some madman took it and ran it into a coward of people. Though I will agree we may need to look into gun training just to prevent this.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2nd Amendment is there to ensure the American people always have access to weapons in the event that the government becomes tyrannical and attempts to oppress its people.
The government has tanks and nukes

Good job going up against those if they decide to put you in their crosshairs

Reactions: shaunj66

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't tell me I can't buy a van just because some madman took it and ran it into a coward of people. Though I will agree we may need to look into gun training just to prevent this.
That's not what I'm saying. But what I will say is that a gun can kill far more people than a van.
But not everyone should be allowed to get a gun, that's stupid imo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The government has tanks and nukes

Good job going up against those if they decide to put you in their crosshairs

That's why I find that argument silly. No matter how many people have guns, a skilled army could kill 100 million gun owners without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You speak for those who actually operate those weapons. Chain of command is broken in civil war. Lines are drawn, and sides are chosen. There would be military officials on both sides.

As far as "skilled army....100 million gun owners".... The Middle East conflict has proven that an ideal is more threatening than any weapon, not to mention we regularly lose soldiers to those 100 million gun owners in the region. How much have the tanks and nukes helped there?

This isn't just about common sense weapons laws, it also crosses into the threshold of a persons right to ensure their own security.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You speak for those who actually operate those weapons. Chain of command is broken in civil war. Lines are drawn, and sides are chosen. There would be military officials on both sides.

As far as "skilled army....100 million gun owners".... The Middle East conflict has proven that an ideal is more threatening than any weapon, not to mention we regularly lose soldiers to those 100 million gun owners in the region. How much have the tanks and nukes helped there?

This isn't just about common sense weapons laws, it also crosses into the threshold of a persons right to ensure their own security.

Erm what?
Also, that's because nukes and tanks aren't used very much against the people of America.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by brickmii82,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that the American army is what is creating that "ideal", right? By slaughtering defenseless citizens (with, guess what, tanks, airstrikes and drone strikes) that have no form of protection, we are actively creating an environment in which it is preferable to join an extremist community in return for protection against the hostile invaders that are there under the guise of "upholding peace"

"Right to self protection" is all well and good, except guns have been proven time and time again to do the exact opposite. All they do increase the risk that they will be used to violate someone else's right to safety

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that the American army is what is creating that "ideal", right? By slaughtering defenseless citizens (with, guess what, tanks, airstrikes and drone strikes) that have no form of protection, we are actively creating an environment in which it is preferable to join an extremist community in return for protection against the hostile invaders that are there under the guise of "upholding peace"

"Right to self protection" is all well and good, except guns have been proven time and time again to do the exact opposite. All they do increase the risk that they will be used to violate someone else's right to safety
1. The point wasn't about the Middle East. It was about what a group of armed individuals who support an ideal are capable of.

2. I'm not saying that gun control isn't an issue that needs addressing, I'm explaining why the 2nd Amendment was written in.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

That way of the thinking is why we have these issues.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there was a revolution I would fight in it. Also many soldiers in the military would fight for the US citizens in the event of an uprising. I believe they're called "oath keepers" or something like that. Also there are state militias that train for another revolutionary war. Not to mention outside interference on both sides, corporate interests, guerilla warfare, etc. The colonists were outgunned too, so it doesn't matter who has the bigger guns. Also, if done correctly, there would not be a full scale war, but rather several tactical strikes by small teams to break the chain of command from the top down.
Guns may be dangerous in the wrong hands, but it's a small price to pay, IMO. In places where guns are outlawed, the government can do whatever they want, because there is no threat of push back from the people.

D

Deleted-355425

https://twitter.com/ConlonGavin/status/915726346264948736

DLVQQQfXUAAh6uW.jpg

Last edited by ,

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of on topic, but what ever happened to the stories I heard when I was younger of heroic citizens saving lives with guns? I haven't heard any in a couple years and I used to hear them all the time. All I hear anymore is terrible shootings. People haven't changed that much, have they?

Anyways, I honestly think that part of the military would break off and join the citizens in an revolution movement if the government took away the 2nd amendment/ if things got really bad with the government, but I'm not going to go fully into that argument.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The point wasn't about the Middle East. It was about what a group of armed individuals who support an ideal are capable of.
Literally the only thing ISIS has is the ability to operate underground and fear tactics. Whenever they show themselves the opposing armies annihilate them, along with any civilians who get in their way. So, yeah, they do have power, but only a fraction of it is from the weaponry they possess
That way of the thinking is why we have these issues.
And the US invasion is what fueled that way of thinking, creating the issues that serve as an excuse to endlessly funnel more US solders into the area

Cyclical cause/effect devices are amazing, aren't they *muffled crying laughter*

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
As part of the gun law reforms, Australia did a gun buyback, paying people market price for their newly illegal weapons then destroying them, which solved the problem of there being too many guns in the wild. The same thing could be done in the U.S.
Look at France. Serious gun laws. Had numerous terrorist attacks in the past years, either guns, explosives or trucks. Gun laws do nothing to stop terrorists, they are out there for one sole purpose and some stupid gun law isn’t gonna stop them

If anything, to solve the homocide rate, America should focus on the black community and their violence tendencies. Go to black neighborhoods, improve it, keep them in school and divert them from crime. Making up %50+ of homocide despite making up merely 13% of the population isn’t something that should be looked over, like it has been by BLM, and if they actually cared about black lives they’d take eye to this. As blacks kill blacks more than any other race

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is staged you idiots. The show is about seeing what other people do. The son, father, woman complaining, and cashier are actors. The other people are just random guys walking in, the creators actually got a good track record when it comes to honesty.
That AK47 is semiautomatic, not a machine gun.

Besides he didn't 'get' it. They let him hold it for a few seconds, and you can be quite sure it wasn't loaded. That video seems staged as fuck.

Remember guys:

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Last edited by aykay55,
Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Literally the only thing ISIS has is the ability to operate underground and fear tactics. Whenever they show themselves the opposing armies annihilate them, along with any civilians who get in their way. So, yeah, they do have power, but only a fraction of it is from the weaponry they possess

And the US invasion is what fueled that way of thinking, creating the issues that serve as an excuse to endlessly funnel more US solders into the area

Cyclical cause/effect devices are amazing, aren't they *muffled crying laughter*

I'm inclined to agree. But I don't want to put all the blame on the USA. It was the rest of the world that let them with no consequence.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
don't worry guys, i have this everyday where i live, with time you will get used to it : )
And is that supposed to be something I am supposed to get used to on a day to day basis?
Sometimes I question your logic. This is no laughing matter!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: b