• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Las Vegas Shooting

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reports are stating that at least 50 are dead and 400 people are injured in a shooting that occurred last night in Las Vegas, NV, USA.

Las Vegas shooting: What we know about what happened at Mandalay Bay - USA TODAY
https://apple.news/AI97z2yQ0Qmem8BoI9WZGiQ

Very sad and its horrible. However, I except that because the future is continue like that. There will be more shooting and murdering and bombing and everywhere are gone berserk. NO LOVE AND NO PEACE EVER!

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Very sad and its horrible. However, I except that because the future is continue like that. There will be more shooting and murdering and bombing and everywhere are gone berserk. NO LOVE AND NO PEACE EVER!

Welcome to humanity.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
is brazil still so corrupt ?

i believe this is because of the poverty nay ?
it isnt just brazil though, i cant remember how damn long it was when i was reading/watching stuff about south america and the corruption there.
there's quite a lot of south american countries which have very high crime rates etc.

hope things settle down there someday.

BlueFox is just very anti-patriotic. Depending on where you live in Brazil, it is completely fine.
There hasn't been a single shooting where I live in years.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife read the news to me last night. She was saying gun sales are up because of this. I told her that's fine and all, but you can't go around carrying an Anti-Sniper rifle on your person at all times. I'm for concealed carry laws, but a handgun vs this is a no brainer. If this guy was in the crowd like that idiot "Joker" and the Batman shooting incident in Colorado, then you would have had a chance to stop the threat. I know the theater says no guns, but if there is no detector I'm sure there would have a been a few respectable citizens breaking the law to protect their families wherever they may be.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guns are like vehicles, they are only as safe as its owner. this whole wars on guns reminds me of the failing/failed war on drugs. no wall will stop them. no president can control them. we just need to take care of ourselves and not get hit by that car.
It's funny because Australia

Like honestly it's so easy to pick out American's comments whenever stuff like this happens

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
considering he chose to kill people from a hotelwindow far far away, he most likely wouldn't have had the stomach to go for something like that.

guns give you distance, you dont need to see people bleeding, and gore, hear the begging and dying, from some distance, like a few steps away, they seem an almost surgically clean way to dispose of people. which is one of the many reasons why distance weapons have always revolutionized warfare, because they've always allowed the squeamish to kill effectively too.

also, the success in reducing overall murder by restricting access to guns in other countries kinda speaks for itself.
considering he chose to kill people from a hotelwindow far far away, he most likely wouldn't have had the stomach to go for something like that.

guns give you distance, you dont need to see people bleeding, and gore, hear the begging and dying, from some distance, like a few steps away, they seem an almost surgically clean way to dispose of people. which is one of the many reasons why distance weapons have always revolutionized warfare, because they've always allowed the squeamish to kill effectively too.

also, the success in reducing overall murder by restricting access to guns in other countries kinda speaks for itself.
Maybe, maybe not. Just because he chose this method to kill innocents doesn't necessarily he wouldn't have done it at all if his access to guns were restricted. Anger and sadness are great motivators.

If guns laws did become stricter I would be much aggrieved that I would lose the convenience of being able to quickly and easily end my own life if I ever wanted to.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I heard about this the night after it happened.

Damn just damn. I hope the families of the deceased find some solace in the fact that the killer is dead. And i hope the hundreds that are injured heal up and make it out of the hospitals alive.

These senseless killings must stop. Americas gun laws are way to lax especially considering the amount of weapons that asshole had on him.

I cant put it any better than he did.

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The solution is not more laws. It's like caging an animal and repeatedly poking it with a stick. Eventually it will escape the cage and hurt a lot of people.

D

Deleted User

Could you explain that analogy for me?...
if you starve an animal then give it any kind of meat (including living humans) it will eat
romans? would do that with animals so they would attack gladiators

if you restrict citizens the same thing can happen

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I've been right where that shooting happened. My condolences to the families and victims after what this guy did.

As for the gun debate, a bit too early to jump into that yet imo. I'd say we'd need to know:
A) where and how did he get the guns
B) what types of guns/weapons did he have, and we're they illegal
Before we can fully see what the problem really was in this case and if laws would've actually stopped him. I've heard the guy had a fully automatic weapon which are illegal here in the states. If that's the case then stricter gun laws wouldn't of stopped this guy. Please call me out if he didn't have a fully automatic weapon, I haven't been too up to date on the situation. Heard the SWAT went to his hotel room and home, but didn't hear everything that they found yet.

Last edited by rileysrjay,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm willing to wager the weapon used was either stolen or bought illegitimately. You could ban every gun in the US, or enforce some sort of strict registration process, but there are already so many in circulation, obtaining one would be trivial. Not to mention smuggling more from Mexico.
The way it was done in Australia was a gun amnesty, where the government buys back weapons at a fair market price that have just become illegal. Once you can't buy guns legally easily the supply for criminals dries up as well. Not to say they'll be completely gone, but will be difficult for the average criminal to get their hands on (in the US probably every second house that gets broken into has guns which are stolen and added to the criminal supply).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dang, I've been right where that shooting happened. My condolences to the families and victims after what this guy did.

As for the gun debate, a bit too early to jump into that yet imo. I'd say we'd need to know:
A) where and how did he get the guns
B) what types of guns/weapons did he have, and we're they illegal
Before we can fully see what the problem really was in this case and if laws would've actually stopped him. I've heard the guy had a fully automatic weapon which are illegal here in the states. If that's the case then stricter gun laws wouldn't of stopped this guy. Please call me out if he didn't have a fully automatic weapon, I haven't been too up to date on the situation. Heard the SWAT went to his hotel room and home, but didn't hear everything that they found yet.
Hard to imagine it wouldn't have been automatic given the number of people he managed to kill in such a short time.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you starve an animal then give it any kind of meat (including living humans) it will eat
romans? would do that with animals so they would attack gladiators

if you restrict citizens the same thing can happen
Well I get that much, but in the case of more restrictive laws it would be like you removed the teeth and claws of the lion, which cripples most methods of harm...
Why? Because gun advocates? Isn't that a bit petty?
Not just that, see @Quantumcat's post. The reason I say Americans are easy to spot whenever a discussion on mass shootings happens is because we're brainwashed to believe that this is just the risk of living in a "civilized" country, even though this is the only country where mass shootings of this scale happen with any sort of frequency

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hard to imagine it wouldn't have been automatic given the number of people he managed to kill in such a short time.
Yup, heard it was an automatic he used in the shooting a few minutes ago on the radio. So I'd say it's safe to guess this guy would've probably done this anyways even if gun laws we're stricter.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess the big question now is how did he manage to get an illegal weapon?

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Yup, heard it was an automatic he used in the shooting a few minutes ago on the radio. So I'd say it's safe to guess this guy would've probably done this anyways even if gun laws we're stricter.
In Las Vegas, you can buy a fully automatic rifle legally if it's "grandfathered." It's highly expensive (think $20k+ range), but doable and completely legal. Kind of amazes me.

Let's also not forget how easy it is to transform a semi-automatic into firing at the same rate as a full automatic. Can literally be done in a matter of minutes. Or you can buy a bump-stock for your rifle and it effectively does the same thing.

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Las Vegas, you can buy a fully automatic rifle legally if it's "grandfathered." It's highly expensive (think $20k+ range), but doable and completely legal. Kind of amazes me.

Let's also not forget how easy it is to transform a semi-automatic into firing at the same rate as a full automatic. Can literally be done in a matter of minutes. Or you can buy a bump-stock for your rifle and it effectively does the same thing.
Wait, really? Seems not just kinda stupid, but really stupid. Also Good point. Still gonna wait and see how he got the guns in the first place though, if they even release that info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.