Gaming Last Ranker Translation patch

Englishsubs4all

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation is now 99% complete. This calls for...

15n4y84.png

I'm going to fix a couple of the videos and make a spreadsheet with translations for all the items and skills. Then, I'll make my own thread with links to everything, including the subtitle files I used to make the videos.

ETA: ~3 days.

goth2191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The translation is now 99% complete. This calls for...

I'm going to fix a couple of the videos and make a spreadsheet with translations for all the items and skills. Then, I'll make my own thread with links to everything, including the subtitle files I used to make the videos.

ETA: ~3 days.

So, even with the game fully translated, is there nobody interested who can re-insert the script to the game? :c

Reactions: djalmafreestyler

goth2191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If look at the threads page (PSP - games and content) you'll see that actual there is, on the first page even

Oh thanks, I didn't see it before n.n (maybe because I tend to use the search box instead of run through the forums, and all that I could see was people saying that is not going to be a patch and things like that n.ñ )

Reactions: JamRules

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Vedo il video, ma non posso avere di patch da applicare?
A patched game link
There is no patch, just videos. This has been told you more than once. Still, you insist.

What Is This?

People have been clamoring for a translation of Last Ranker since it came out four years ago. Instead of waiting for hackers to overcome the technical hurdles preventing this game from being translated, I decided to just play through the game, translate all the text, and upload subtitled videos to YouTube. It's not quite as convenient as a patch, but it's (lots) better than nothing.

SoOoOo... For the last time: THERE IS NO PATCH!

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was looking into this. I looked a long time ago and didn't get too far, but I think I did better on it this time.
.NPK.ZZZ are compressed with zlib.
The part Stormyu didn't say: The SYSTEM.VOL is data XOR'd with 0x55. It appears to be uncompressed.
All the text is UTF-8.

It looks not too hard but I've said that before and been wrong, like for the ZZT3 project.
The first step will be to unpack SYSTEM.VOL into its component parts and de-xor them, and also make a re-packer.
I noticed a huge number of dummy entries in the items table, but I think all the real entries are there.

The XOR thing - that's just an obfuscation technique, right? I worked on Wander Wonder (PC) before and that had all the files XOR'd with 0xFF (all bits flipped).

Shot of Quest screen:
ULJM05676_00000.jpg ULJM05676_00001.jpg

Shot of Place Names in-game:
ULJM05676_00005.jpg ULJM05676_00003.jpg ULJM05676_00002.jpg ULJM05676_00004.jpg

If you want to see what I'm working on:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H_noLOY4p2d3VgoZsVluCMWEKF31C2udZS-dtD2Lfso/edit?usp=sharing

List of stuff:
menu_resident.npk (sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL) - main menu
Z0_0 - Style menu (these do not have a filename I could find, sub-"files" under Z0.npk)
Z0_1 - Item menu
Z0_2 - Equipment menu
Z0_3 - Skills menu
Z0_4 - Trial Log menu
Z0_5_0 - Ranker File menu
Z0_5_1 - Ranker File descriptions
Z0_6 - Options menu
MENU_TRIAL_LOG.NPK.ZZZ - Trial Log data for when you check training boards. 41 missions in the game
DB00 - System messages (sub-files of DB_resident.npk which is a sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL)
DB01 - Ranker's names
DB02 - Swords
DB03 - Sub-weapons
DB04 - Accessories
DB05 - Armor
DB06 - Misc item (recovery, etc...)
DB07 - Key item
DB08 - Blank
DB09 - Sword descriptions
DB10 - Sub-weapon descriptions
DB11 - Accessory descriptions
DB12 - Armor descriptions
DB13 - Misc item descriptions
DB14 - Key item descriptions
DB15 - Blank
DB16 - Ranker's titles
DB17 - Ranker's titles (Japanese)
DB18 - Ranker's names (again)
DB19 - Mission titles, probably for the mission clear message
DB20 - Style names
fld_resident_1 - Field map place names (sub-"files" of fld_resident.npk which is a sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL)
fld_resident_2 - Action names
fld_resident_3 - Names for world map
IF_TRAVELMAP.NPK - Data for travel map screen (everything less place names)
btlsys00 - enemy names (sub-"files" of btlsys.cnk which is a sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL)
btlsys01 - skill names and descriptions
btlsys02 - battle messages

Almost done. Just Z0_5_1 to go and about halfway through.
-----------------
28May16: Got the UI stuff working. Need help removing length limit. Working on transcribing quest text from the subs so it can be inserted.
29May16: Quest inserted. Need help removing length limits. Place names, action icons translated.

Last edited by flame1234,

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The script has some dumb limitation too btw.
I've worked on it a loooong time ago but If I can help, feel free to pm I'll see what I can do. (like removing length limits)

Reactions: goth2191
D

Deleted User

Was looking into this. I looked a long time ago and didn't get too far, but I think I did better on it this time.
.NPK.ZZZ are compressed with zlib.
The part Stormyu didn't say: The SYSTEM.VOL is data XOR'd with 0x55. It appears to be uncompressed.
All the text is UTF-8.

It looks not too hard but I've said that before and been wrong, like for the ZZT3 project.
The first step will be to unpack SYSTEM.VOL into its component parts and de-xor them, and also make a re-packer.
I noticed a huge number of dummy entries in the items table, but I think all the real entries are there.

The XOR thing - that's just an obfuscation technique, right? I worked on Wander Wonder (PC) before and that had all the files XOR'd with 0xFF (all bits flipped).

Shot of Quest screen:
View attachment 51113 View attachment 51114

Shot of Place Names in-game:
View attachment 51128 View attachment 51129 View attachment 51126 View attachment 51127

If you want to see what I'm working on:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H_noLOY4p2d3VgoZsVluCMWEKF31C2udZS-dtD2Lfso/edit?usp=sharing

List of stuff:
menu_resident.npk (sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL) - main menu
Z0_0 - Style menu (these do not have a filename I could find, sub-"files" under Z0.npk)
Z0_1 - Item menu
Z0_2 - Equipment menu
Z0_3 - Skills menu
Z0_4 - Trial Log menu
Z0_5 - Ranker File menu
Z0_6 - Options menu
MENU_TRIAL_LOG.NPK.ZZZ - Trial Log data for when you check training boards. 41 missions in the game
DB00 - System messages (sub-files of DB_resident.npk which is a sub-file under SYSTEM.VOL)
DB01 - Ranker's names
DB02 - Swords
DB03 - Sub-weapons
DB04 - Accessories
DB05 - Armor
DB06 - Misc item (recovery, etc...)
DB07 - Key item
DB08 - Blank
DB09 - Sword descriptions
DB10 - Sub-weapon descriptions
DB11 - Accessory descriptions
DB12 - Armor descriptions
DB13 - Misc item descriptions
DB14 - Key item descriptions
DB15 - Blank
DB16 - Ranker's titles
DB17 - Ranker's titles (Japanese)
DB18 - Ranker's names (again)
DB19 - Mission titles, probably for the mission clear message
DB20 - Style names
...Still a whole bunch more stuff. I'm right now on DB09 translating it.
-----------------
28May16: Got the UI stuff working. Need help removing length limit. Working on transcribing quest text from the subs so it can be inserted.
29May16: Quest inserted. Need help removing length limits. Place names, action icons translated.
Nice job flame. I was wondering if any one was interested in this anymore so congrats!!

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here is the patch. I've done all I can. Could not figure out script format or length limits. If you want tools, post and I'll see what I can do.
Get the v1 patch here.
Sources here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H_noLOY4p2d3VgoZsVluCMWEKF31C2udZS-dtD2Lfso/edit?usp=sharing
Has: Menu control explanation, ranker bios, some trial log (bugged, length limit problem), travel map, system text, ranker names, items & descriptions, battle text.

The last little bit of info if you are a hacker: The script files are in \USRDIR\GAMEDATA\FLD\MAP , MAP_T_KAN_00.BIN is the first script file. It looks like the zlib decompress routine, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

The quest screen (menu) is untranslated on purpose. That way you can still play if you know some Japanese. The English screen is illegible. To see the English screen, look at a training board.
Once the screen is fixed (if it ever is), I'll release an updated version.

@StorMyu (or anyone) if you want to debug the length limits, you can use this version. I would appreciate a hint on the script, too.

EDIT: MAP files are gzip compressed. 1F 8B is magic gzip header.

088626B0 - Starting to do "string routine"
08863D94 - Loading string offsets

Last edited by flame1234,
Reactions: goth2191

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Damn I hate myself for not finding what I had back in the day, I had a working MAP extractor/rebuilder, iirc yeah it's zlib compressed too and it has also a big limit, don't remember how it works since it's been a while and I've more experience now but still. I'm gonna look into your length limits when I'll have the time. (do you think you could share me a save for ppsspp ? lazy to start the game again lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool