Tutorial  Updated

Maidumps: How to convert to working .vpk & how to pre-patch your .vpk.

In this guide I will go over how to convert games dumped with MaiDumpTool to working vpk files that you can simply install with VitaShell.

======================
What you will need:
- VitaOrganizer 0.4+ LINK
- Archive tool. Winrar/7-zip or whatever program you prefere. I'm currently using 7-zip myself. LINK
- FTP client. I'm currently using Filezilla since it's easy to use. LINK
- QCMA LINK
- Games dumped with Maidumptool v233.* (Remember, game dump links isn't allowed on this website, don't ask for game dumps here!)

=========================================

How to Convert game folder to .vpk
  1. First, you need to dump the desired game, the output will be in ux0:mai/GameID
  2. Open VitaShell on your vita and press SELECT to start the built in FTP and to see your PSVita's IP address.
  3. Open Filezilla on your PC, enter your PSVita ip address in "host".(192.168.1.192 for example). The port should be 1337 by default; press quick connect.
  4. Navigate to ux0:mai/ and copy the "gameid_of_your_dumped_game" folder to your pc.
  5. Now you need to your archive tool to zip the folder and then change the file extension from .zip to .vpk, remember that once zipped the name of the zip/vpk file should be the same as the "gameid_of_your_dumped_game". And inside that folder it should look something similar to this:
    CBfs8Mn.png
  6. Now open VitaOrganizer version 0.4 or above.
  7. Press select folder and navigate to the folder where you have your zip that you renamed to a .vpk
  8. Now the game should automatically show up in VitaOrganizer; when you click the game a little menu pop's up, select the third option: Repack: Compression 9 + Remove duplicates + Make it safe.
  9. Once the program is finshed, the vpk should be safe and be possible to install on you vita trough VitaShell.
  10. To easiest and fastest way to transfer the vpk file to your vita is to change the file extension from .vpk to .mp4, put it into your video folder on your computer and transfer it over using QCMA and the PSVita content manager. Once the mp4 is on your PSVita, navigate to "ux0:video/##/gameid.mp4" and change the extension back again by renaming it from .mp4 to .vpk.(WAIT WITH THIS WHOLE STEP UNTIL LATER IF YOU WANT TO PRE-PATCH THE GAME)
=======================================================

Got a dumped update folder? Here is how to pre-patch your vpk so you don't need to keep a ton of update dumps around.
  1. First off, you need a follow the above guide to make a completely working .vpk and have it on your PC.
  2. Copy the "gameid_Patch" from the ux0:mai/ folder from your vita to your pc the same way we copied the game folder in the convert guide.
  3. Open the .vpk from the convert guide; now copy all the files/folders in the "gameid_patch" folder and paste them into the .vpk, overwrite all files if the prompt shows up.
  4. In VitaOrganizer, press refresh, click the game and select the third option as described at step 8 in the convert guide above.
  5. Once done the vpk will now be a fully patched version of the game, no more nagging from the livearea screen on your vita that you need to update.(If it does follow the extra step below if you want to get rid of the nagging, the game is update and all but the vita system doesn't know it is, I had this problem only with killzone out of all my dumped games.)
Extra step if the livearea screen on your psvita tells you the game doesn't have the latest update(this could probably also be used to stop the nagging without installing an update):

If the game version doesn't change in VitaOrganizer, try close the program, delete the Vitaorganizer folder and start the program again.(the folder should be in the same location as the .exe file) If it still doesn't change the displayed the latest version of the game in VitaOrganizer you need to download this param.sfo editor: LINK
Extract the param.sfo from the .vpk. It should be located in "gameid.vpk\sce_sys\param.sfo"
Open the SFO editor, load the extracted param.sfo file, click the top most string which says "APP_VER"; then you simple change that value from 1.00 to what ever version is the latest of the game (for example 1.02)
Copy the edited param.sfo file back into the same place in the .vpk file; try refresh in vitaorganizer and it should be updated, if not, delete the VitaOrganizer folder again and re-launch the program. Now go back to step 10 of the convert guide.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Known issues:

You can't view the changelog on the dumped game by clicking /\ on your bubble on psvita.
Instead you have to open VitaShell, navigate to ux0:app/gameid/sce_sys/changeinfo and open changeinfo.xml

Last edited by CrimzonEyed, , Reason: Fixed version error on vitaorganizer

FruitsEve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im assuming that the eboot found in the directory of the game is encrypted one thats why it isnt in the screenshot and mai keeps the decrypted one in the mai_moe folder. Am i right?
EDIT: Im wrong :D since ina mai_moe is the original untouched eboot. :D

Last edited by FruitsEve,

CrimzonEyed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Im assuming that the eboot found in the directory of the game is encrypted one thats why it isnt in the screenshot and mai keeps the decrypted one in the mai_moe folder. Am i right or am i right?
I just edited so the whole file tree wasn't there. It was just to show how how the folder setup would look like. I once downloaded a vpk that was a complete mess because inside the .vpk there was a folder with a gameID name and then inside that folder, was the correct file/folder tree. So instead of gameid.vpk\"folders and eboot.bin in here" it was gameid.vpk\gameid\"folder and eboot.bin in here"

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it 3 times with Adventures of Mana. Each time I received the 0xFFFFFFFF error. Any ideas as to this is not working? I followed the guide 100%. Thanks for whoever gets this working.

CrimzonEyed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried it 3 times with Adventures of Mana. Each time I received the 0xFFFFFFFF error. Any ideas as to this is not working? I followed the guide 100%. Thanks for whoever gets this working.
Have you tried the dump before converting?

so you did this with the EUR version of SAO HF? (game and update = pre-patched)
also the compression should be set on stored instead of normal
Yeah I usually just go for stored, however the 3rd option in vitaorganizer always compress with the highest (9).
why would someone want to install a mai dump as a vpk when mai is so much faster?
Much faster to transfter a VPK renamed to .mp4 trough usb than transfering the folder over FTP.

adamswagem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this guide, very helpful.

Is it possible to install DLC similarly? Or should I install my game+patch with this .vpk method and then install the DLC using the maidumptool option.

kathy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have 1.05 GB on my internal memory so I'm trying to install the vpk on a USB on PSTV. I round up all the files from the mai dump, use "send to..." to create a .zip, and then change the extension to .vpk. When I mount the USB in VitaShell and try installing the .vpk, I get an error at 99% every time.
I'd try using mai to install it but it doesn't let me mount USB and I don't have the space available without it.

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I only have 1.05 GB on my internal memory so I'm trying to install the vpk on a USB on PSTV. I round up all the files from the mai dump, use "send to..." to create a .zip, and then change the extension to .vpk. When I mount the USB in VitaShell and try installing the .vpk, I get an error at 99% every time.
I'd try using mai to install it but it doesn't let me mount USB and I don't have the space available without it.
Why are you using VPK's and Maidumps?

basketbal4lif

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yh im probs a bit late but I was wondering, since I have h-encore.vpk on my pc (to retransfer it to vita via CMA when my hencore gets corrupted) cant I just copy my licence.psvimg/psvmg, and paste it onto any games folder? for example:

Admin\Documents\PS Vita\APP\f2b576889360c176\PCSE00271\licence.... then the two files

after this I just transfer it to vita using CMA. jus because some games are to large and need double space without MAIDUMP. then again I'm just asking cos some maidumps come up with errors.

pls do remember im new to all this vita hacks so if I'm wrong pls don't criticise:))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, why