• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
In the U.K. it's because they're still using XP and can't afford that free win10 upgrade

Edit: The hospital my mom works at was affected and she saw it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny NHS was trying to save money but not upgrading to newer Windows. now its in need of more money.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's expensive to upgrade an entire organisation from XP to 7 or 10. Aside from the license cost and potentially hardware cost (if they're not strong enough for 7 or 10, which is often the case), there's also the matter of support as many programs designed for older OSes like XP will have all kinds of unexpected bugs crop up under 7 or 10 (as has happened in my company, repeatedly).

But yeah, this kind of widespread attack sucks. Fortunately I don't know anyone affected yet, but it sucks for those who are.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So what do you recommend?

update to latest stuff as always.
dont open email which you dont know about.
dont download every link you find.
dont install every thing you find.
dont use windows.

Last edited by Flame,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont use windows.

That last one, yeah, not really an option, I can't program worth a damn, or even know CLI so yeah. That, and I lose compatibility with 95% of my programs, so...

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
dont use windows.
welp
3cd8a33a.png

In the U.K. it's because they're still using XP and can't afford that free win10 upgrade

Edit: The hospital my mom works at was affected and she saw it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did it affect the patients?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That last one, yeah, not really an option, I can't program worth a damn, or even know CLI so yeah. That, and I lose compatibility with 95% of my programs, so...
I have to agree with randomizer on this one. I'm not saying this attack isn't a big deal but to just advise everyone to move to a completely different and unfamiliar OS just isn't a practical move. As he also covered there is an array of software that Windows is more compatible with that Linux or even Mac can't touch. That's not to say Linux is bad or terrible, it just isn't for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.