• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is low but I referred to end users as private home users like the people on this site in contrast to "professional" environments such as companies.
These users are even dumber that people in companies, trust me. The average GBATemp Windows user is certainly way more tech-savvy than the average Windows user.

Reactions: VinsCool

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pc? what's that? Since smartphones were released i hardly touch computers since i can do what i need on a much fancy looking and portable device...

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Something that bothers me. It's said that it installs itself in the MBR (that no one hardly ever use anymore). So technically, a GPT HDD won't get affected? Is that correct?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pc? what's that? Since smartphones were released i hardly touch computers since i can do what i need on a much fancy looking and portable device...
You obviously don't do any real work. Good luck trying to do something as simple as copying files between two flash drives on a phone without a convoluted mess of wires and hubs. (Copying to the phone and then to another drive is a waste of time and a throwback to owning a 1980s home computer with one floppy drive, but I guess that's somehow amazing and revolutionary now because it's done with "apps".)
Something that bothers me. It's said that it installs itself in the MBR (that no one hardly ever use anymore). So technically, a GPT HDD won't get affected? Is that correct?
I don't know why people claim no one uses MBR anymore. It's still in widespread use on removable media, e.g. SD cards and flash drives.

Assuming the ransomware doesn't bother to check before it writes to the drive, it will overwrite the MBR boot code as well as the primary GPT. The GPT is checksummed, so UEFI will go to the secondary GPT located at the end of the disk. In addition, the MBR boot code is not used with UEFI; the OS kernel is loaded from the system partition.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You obviously don't do any real work. Good luck trying to do something as simple as copying files between two flash drives on a phone without a convoluted mess of wires and hubs. (Copying to the phone and then to another drive is a waste of time and a throwback to owning a 1980s home computer with one floppy drive, but I guess that's somehow amazing and revolutionary now because it's done with "apps".)

I don't know why people claim no one uses MBR anymore. It's still in widespread use on removable media, e.g. SD cards and flash drives.

Assuming the ransomware doesn't bother to check before it writes to the drive, it will overwrite the MBR boot code as well as the primary GPT. The GPT is checksummed, so UEFI will go to the secondary GPT located at the end of the disk. In addition, the MBR boot code is not used with UEFI; the OS kernel is loaded from the system partition.
I'm a student. What i only need is word and excel and i'm fine to go.

Gaming on pc? meh, have a ps4, a 3ds and in a year or two will get a switch. Programing? lol no. Copying files? Huh, cloud services exist for a reason, if i ever need to use something on a bigger screen i just transfer over the cloud. So, as you can see, i don't need a big machine for simple tasks, even if it is university works, it is still real work.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copying files? Huh, cloud services exist for a reason, if i ever need to use something on a bigger screen i just transfer over the cloud.
Because it's so convenient to use a cloud service to upload multiple gigabytes worth of files over a slow 10 Mbps link, then redownload it to another system, than it is to use a local storage device. Never mind the fact that you basically grant the cloud storage host full access to your files so they can do whatever they want with it.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's so convenient to use a cloud service to upload multiple gigabytes worth of files over a slow 10 Mbps link, then redownload it to another system, than it is to use a local storage device. Never mind the fact that you basically grant the cloud storage host full access to your files so they can do whatever they want with it.
Gotta love how you assumed i transfer big files without mentioning it. No wonder why people over here start flaming at each others because no one bothers to read a post correctly.

Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I thought I could say my own opinion in a forum but you reminded me it's completely one-sided. Thanks again!
I wasn't aware that quoting your own words made it "one-sided". You previously said that Windows has a huge company that "will fix any critical bug ASAP", so this ransomware shouldn't be worrisome.

Reactions: nxwing and Kioku

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware that quoting your own words made it "one-sided". You previously said that Windows has a huge company that "will fix any critical bug ASAP", so this ransomware shouldn't be worrisome.
ASAP =/= immediately. Or are you participating in this thread just to be a dick to everyone?

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I hate windows 10 it's to simplistic and has too many apps, so windows 7 does the job for me.
... You bump a three year old thread to show your ignorance? Yyyyyeeeaahhhh...

I can't remember if I told my story in this thread, but my company was hit pretty hard. Not directly (wannacry was neutralized by a killswitch after some weeks), but it still copied itself quite aggressively on our older thin clients. And because these things are hard to modify, getting rid of it was like playing wack a mole.

There were two important consequences : we found the behavior on our clients that were on a sister company's network (a major one, though I'm sure it never went to the press). As a courtesy, we informed them. But instead of taking actions, they acted as if it came from our network (which was not only false but also ridiculous:at that time we already localized it to strictly in that area segment. But instead of acting mature, they insinuated we should know which pc's were out there - which we couldn't because they weren't ours - and fix them as well).
It ultimately ended with the 'agreement' that we'd put our own network in all the areas. More expensive, but if wannacry was still active at that time it would've been a major disaster for both our companies.

The other consequence was that we ended up going with a different model thin client that had Linux as os. Also more expensive (the hardware, that is), but kso something we couldn't risk.

... So when I see a random guy claim he'll stick to an older windows because he hates the new one, I just nod my head. Yeah... You go, buddy.
EDIT: the above should be:

...So when I see a random girl claim she'll stick to an older windows because she hates the new one, I just nod my head. Yeah...you go, girl.

*slow claps*

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: Alexander1970
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte