Making a Soft AP for DS/PSP

My DS can't find the signal from my Router but my computer can. So recently I brought a TP-Link TL-WN321G, so I can create a Soft AP with my computer.

This Tutorial show you how to Make Your Own AP (Acess Point) with your Computer Wirless or Ethernet Connection.

The AP your making works for DS, PSP, and Mostly all Wifi Supported Electronics.
This Method doesnt just work on WN321G but mostly all other dongle.
So if you have a different dongle, the software and the adapter is the only thing that changes from this method below.

Tools:
-Computer/Laptop
-Wireless Connection ( I have a Atheros Adapter)
-Wireless Dongle Driver (Download Online)
-Wireless Dongle (TP-Link, TL-WN321G)
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-WN321G-Wirel...G/dp/B000FO6QYU
http://www.buy.com/prod/tp-link-usb-wirele.../213742335.html

1. Download the lastest driver here: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...amp;m=TL-WN321G and install it.
6xvrpg.jpg

2. Make sure the dongle in and click on the TL-Wn321G Shortcut (Dongle Software).
65qyvn.jpg

3. Right-click on the Dongle software icon in the System Tray (bottom-right corner of screen) and click "Switch to Soft AP"
21eawqr.jpg

4. Something will pop up, for the WAN pick your Computer/Laptop Adapter or Wirless Card/Chip/Ethernet. The Lan is the WN-321G Adapter
2dji0y.jpg

WAN (Network Connection 1) My adapter conneced to the router. It can be a ethernet wire or a wireless card.
j0z5p0.jpg

Lan (Network Connection 2) The Dongle. doesnt need to be the WN321G. Most dongle are similar.
ir3oup.jpg

5. Go to Network & Sharing Center and click "Manage Network Connection"!
10fqdlf.jpg

vigp01.jpg

6. Right-Click on Network Connection 1 than click property. Open "Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)" and change the setting to the second picture below.
idy53c.jpg

bhn1hf.jpg

7. Go Back to "Manage Network Connection" from step 5. Right-Click on the second Network Connection (WN-321G) than click property. Open "Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)" and change the setting to the picture below.
15gtesi.jpg

8. Double Click AP Icon in the system tray so the AP Software opens.
ipse2q.jpg

9. For SSID create a name (my is "Wifi") and change the setting to the picture below. Click "Apply".
5fp3m0.jpg

10. Click on "Security Setting" and change the Authentication Type to "Shared" and Encryption Type to "WEP". Make up a WEP KEY (SSID PASSWORD)
1zlrwww.jpg

11. Go to your firewall setting and add all these TCP Port in the exception tab (28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443) Go here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/firewall.jsp to read more about the firewall ports. This is needed so you can play with other, just like in Call of Duty for DS.
apd6k3.jpg

12. Get your DS or PSP and add the wifi setting manually.

Settings

SSID: Your SSID from Step 9!
WEP: Your WEP KEY from step 10!
IP Address: 192.168.0.22
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.12
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.12
Secondary DNS: Blank

If you have another DS/PSP, all the setting are the same but the IP Address, for the
Second (2nd) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.32
Third (3rd) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.42
Fourth (4th) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.52
and so on...

I havent read over the tutorial so I may have some grammar mistake and I made the tutorial base on my
memory of how I did it 1 years ago, so I might be missing something. If you have any Question, Just Ask!

hazzarduk1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
any chance you know how to set this up on windows 7? it appears to be a totally different wireless utility than the one you have shown. my authentication seems to be stuck on wpa2 and the DS isnt able to use that.
mine looks like this:
2wgulog.png

waffle1995

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hazzarduk1 said:
any chance you know how to set this up on windows 7? it appears to be a totally different wireless utility than the one you have shown. my authentication seems to be stuck on wpa2 and the DS isnt able to use that.
mine looks like this:
That utility can still work, it just looks better.
It still possible, to make a Soft AP using this tutorial.

You can always use the orginal (older) version of the utility,
Window 7 has compatibility mode

hazzarduk1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
under compatibility windows xp and windows vista both had different problems causing them not to work. XP was stuck in a loop, trying to disable ICS over and over. Vista did not have the option when i right clicked to switch to AP mode.

with the newer version of the utility my authentication was stuck to the same my current network is on, rather then letting me set my own?

schlayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found a way for windows 7.

WPA2/PSK in 7 is standard encryption, available in all bridge drivers. Doesn't matter if you use e.g. hostednetwork with ms wlan miniport or wn321g to broadcast your signal. It's all in drivers. So one and the only way is to try older drivers, which allow to use WEP. Installing XP drivers in compatibility mode (64/32) isn't an option, cause it won't work anyway. The only way that worked for me is...

...tadam!

Windows XP Mode via Virtual PC + wn321g drivers for XP.
There's small catch. You must have a CPU with virtualization (some Intels and AMDs) to run MS Virtual PC. Also Windows XP Mode is downloadable only for 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise (however there are methods to get it work on lower versions, just google it)

I have Intel Celeron E3200, which fortunately has VT and Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
So all we have to do is:
1. Download and install VPC and WinXPMode from MS website
2. Run Windows XP Mode
3. Install WN321G drivers with TP Link utility (don't forget to turn on USB under virtual machine)
beztytuutno.jpg

4. Run TP link in AP mode and set up an access point (preferably open = no encryption or shared with WEP, it is also possible to turn on mac filtering)
beztytu2uw.jpg

5. You don't have to enter manually IPs, gateways etc. Your NDS should do it automatically, just find AP and enter WEP key (if one was set).
6. And that's basically all.

Also there are other virtual machines, not provided by MS, which doesn't need VT, however I haven't tried them out.

SunXia

Trophies
XP
Country
It just didn't work for me, instead it just disabled my internet entirely and wouldn't let anything happen!! :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol