Homebrew Merry Christmas - Have some RAM Dumping!

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
PS3 homebrew hero naehrwert has released some helpful python scripts related to 3ds RAM dumping. The ramdump.py script generates a launcher.dat that is functionally similar to waffle's RAM dumper, but this is can be additionally useful as it shows how the ROP chain was generated and thus might be a useful thing to study for those interesting in ROPing the 3DS themselves.

https://github.com/naehrwert/p3ds

Dumb question: if there was no NX bit, would it be enough to just overflow the stack with <addr_of_this+4><payload code>?

Reactions: Mr_Pichu

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In addition to the nx bit there is also read and write controls on the different memory regions. So you would still be limited to the memory available to the stack.

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
naehrwert is one of the nicest people i ever had the pleasure of talking with on irc. the best part is that he's doing this for fun, and not because he's obligated to anything on anyone's part :)
i suggest you guys take a look at his work on the ps3 scene.
besides that, congratulations on your joint work with him, fierce waffle. i hope you guys get stable code execution soon.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain the deadlock stuff in the source ?
naehrwert is one of the nicest people i ever had the pleasure of talking with on irc. the best part is that he's doing this for fun, and not because he's obligated to anything on anyone's part :)
i suggest you guys take a look at his work on the ps3 scene.
besides that, congratulations on your joint work with him, fierce waffle. i hope you guys get stable code execution soon.

Ive been pestering him on github and twitter :P

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My hosting service is currently down. Should be back up soon enough.

Okay :) I remembered you writing something about the self parameter that i wanted to read again as the file_open in my ram dump has 4 arguments while it is called with only 3 in launcher.dat.

fierce waffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay :) I remembered you writing something about the self parameter that i wanted to read again as the file_open in my ram dump has 4 arguments while it is called with only 3 in launcher.dat.

No. Ours both have 3 arguments.

Code:
Mine : IFile_Open_1 _this, PATH_ADDR1, OPEN_WRITE|OPEN_CREATE
His : r.call(0x1B82AC,[0x279000,Ref("fname"),6],5)

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No. Ours both have 3 arguments.

Code:
Mine : IFile_Open_1 _this, PATH_ADDR1, OPEN_WRITE|OPEN_CREATE
His : r.call(0x1B82AC,[0x279000,Ref("fname"),6],5)

Thats true but not what i ment, my fault for not knowing how to clearly communicate what I'm confused about ^^

I made a ram dump and right now I'm trying to statically analyse it to get a general picture of whats going on in there, the file open function i found in there
(somewhat identified by how it splits the filename at ':') seems to have 4 arguments instead of the 3 you and him use.

My guess is that I don't understand the arm assembly well enough and it actually only has 3 arguments or less likely that i got the wrong function.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Does anyone know who maintains the 3dsbrew website ? It seems like I can't signup using my current nick because it's blacklisted for some reason, I wanted to add some infos in there but I'll wait till I can do it using my nick (or not at all)

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does anyone know who maintains the 3dsbrew website ? It seems like I can't signup using my current nick because it's blacklisted for some reason, I wanted to add some infos in there but I'll wait till I can do it using my nick (or not at all)

I'm guessing you checked out yesterdays commit :P ?
3DSBrew has blacklisted the nick /.*/ :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night