Hacking Modding a Wii in 2017

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So it's been a while since I've modded a Wii, but fancied some 240p goodness on my emus for my CRT TV, so...

1.) Are there are good basic guides that still work?

2.) Can I run GC Isos and Wii Isos from the same source?

3.) Are flash drives possible for 2.) Or are hard disks a better option?

4.) Do I need specific romsets for Finalburn?

I've modded quite a few consoles in the past, hard and soft mods and recently softmodded my WiiU with no issues, so assume this isn't too tricky?

Cheers

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) I don't know a "good" one. lot of guides are telling users different things. some are short, some are longer to follow.
You may have :
1- https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
But you need to change one thing that they are telling you. they are still telling users to install a bad cIOS version. If you follow this guide, don't install d2x r53, but r52 instead. (all r52, or on Wii all v8 final, don't mix versions)
Edit : not needed anymore, someone fixed the guide and properly tell users to install r52 in both slot ! at last :D

2- http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886
this one is more complete with things like Priiloader covered, and more "step by step". Though, it uses old tools, and make you follow quite strange path to achieve something easily done another way.

3- You can also use modmii program which will download all needed files and tools, and will generate a custom guide based on your own replies. that's probably the easiest and more complete one in less steps.

4- short path : if you are on Wii 4.3 (not vWii), install HBC and bootmii following Hackmii.please, then install cIOS d2x v8 final base57 in slot 249. Done. that's all you need to make everything compatible. (HBC + 1 patched IOS, that's all !)
additional steps are for security (priiloader, in case you plan to do stupid things to your console's file system), or outdated/deprecated mod (Hermes cIOS, cIOS 236, patching sysmenu IOS, downgrading sysmenu, etc.), or updating outdated IOS (optional)

2) Yes, as long as you use FAT32 partition !
do not follow any guide telling you to format your drive to WBFS, it's an old and deprecated format, and therefore an old and outdated guide to follow.
MBR is better than GPT for compatibility (old homebrew can only read from MBR partition table type), Primary partition are better than logical, 32k/cluster is also better for compatibility.
so, MBR primary FAT32 32k/cluster, 512 bytes/sector if possible ! (that's a hardware value, you can't change it. but homebrew who care about sector size should now be compatible with all other sector sizes, so it's fine)

3) Some flash may work in read mode, but freeze in write mode (no disc dumping possible). Some Flash may not work at all.
Prefer using a Hard Disk. USB2.0 have better compatibility, as newer disk drive seems to require new initialization process that current cIOS don't have. But if you have a USB3.0, there is a workaround, so it's fine too.

4) I can't answer that question. Sorry.

Last edited by Cyan,

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
3- short path : if you are on 4.3, install HBC and bootmii following Hackmii.please, then install cIOS d2x v8 final base57 in slot 249. Done. that's all you need to make everything compatible.

Is cIOS d2x v8 final base57 in slot 249 the only thing I need to do even if it's for an already modded Wii that's not compatible with everything at this point..? I don't know what's installed on it since I'm fixing it for a friend, he has my fully working Wii in the meantime.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's a Wii (not a vWii), then d2x v8 final is good.
v10 is the same as v8, it only has one little patch for HDD detection, not sure it's better or worse. if v8 final doesn't detect the HDD you can try v10 NOT alternative.

Explanation about the base IOS :
most guides tell users to install different patched IOSes based on different official IOSes.
slot249 is the "default" historical slot used by USBLoaders, and therefore old guide started to tell users to install cIOS based on IOS56 in that slot because after few tests it appeared that this IOS was the fastest reading through USB, compared to base IOS36, IOS38 or IOS57. (IOS58 and 59 weren't released yet)

but, some games don't work with IOS56 and require IOS57, which is slightly (undetectable by end user?) slower than IOS56. so, guides told users to install that alternative base into a second slot (slot250), and told users to edit their loader's config to switch to that better IOS for incompatible games (call of duty, just dance).

My view is :
just install base57 in the default slot !
you'd have less newbie asking questions on forum to understand why a game is not working, and what they have to do to fix freezes and black screens.

So, for your question :
if your wii is already modded, you should check what's already installed.
follow the Syscheck guide in my signature to use the latest version and get best information from your console.

Everything installed is never conflicting with other IOS or application. one application uses one slot only and doesn't care what's installed elsewhere. therefore, don't bother with things installed in slot 202, 220-224, 236. they are optional, you can keep them untouched.

If you have slot 249/250 with anything d2x v8 or v10 (non ALT), with base 56 and 57, then you are fine.
if you have d2x v10-alt, replace it with the non alternative version, or with v8.
if you have base56 in slot 249 and base57 in slot250, you can just set your USBLoader to use slot250 by default and you'll get the best compatibility with Wii games.
no need to reinstall the cIOS if you already have it, but no harm doing it. Though, if you re-install base57 in slot 249 while you already have it in slot250, you'll have a duplicate which is not useful at all. having base56 is STILL useful for very few games such as Spiro and the USB Portal accessory. I don't know any other game which require IOS56 and doesn't work with 57.

Last edited by Cyan,

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
1. I pretty much just use Modmii. It's as stupid-proof as they come.

2. Yes

3. Possible but they suck. External HDDs are way better.

4. Haven't really installed arcade emus on the wii but from my xbox experience, Final Burn can load MAME romsets.

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

xopitaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if it's a Wii (not a vWii), then d2x v8 final is good.
v10 is the same as v8, it only has one little patch for HDD detection, not sure it's better or worse. if v8 final doesn't detect the HDD you can try v10 NOT alternative.

Explanation about the base IOS :
most guides tell users to install different patched IOSes based on different official IOSes.
slot249 is the "default" historical slot used by USBLoaders, and therefore old guide started to tell users to install cIOS based on IOS56 in that slot because after few tests it appeared that this IOS was the fastest reading through USB, compared to base IOS36, IOS38 or IOS57. (IOS58 and 59 weren't released yet)

but, some games don't work with IOS56 and require IOS57, which is slightly (undetectable by end user?) slower than IOS56. so, guides told users to install that alternative base into a second slot (slot250), and told users to edit their loader's config to switch to that better IOS for incompatible games (call of duty, just dance).

My view is :
just install base57 in the default slot !
you'd have less newbie asking questions on forum to understand why a game is not working, and what they have to do to fix freezes and black screens.

So, for your question :
if your wii is already modded, you should check what's already installed.
follow the Syscheck guide in my signature to use the latest version and get best information from your console.

Everything installed is never conflicting with other IOS or application. one application uses one slot only and doesn't care what's installed elsewhere. therefore, don't bother with things installed in slot 202, 220-224, 236. they are optional, you can keep them untouched.

If you have slot 249/250 with anything d2x v8 or v10 (non ALT), with base 56 and 57, then you are fine.
if you have d2x v10-alt, replace it with the non alternative version, or with v8.
if you have base56 in slot 249 and base57 in slot250, you can just set your USBLoader to use slot250 by default and you'll get the best compatibility with Wii games.
no need to reinstall the cIOS if you already have it, but no harm doing it. Though, if you re-install base57 in slot 249 while you already have it in slot250, you'll have a duplicate which is not useful at all. having base56 is STILL useful for very few games such as Spiro and the USB Portal accessory. I don't know any other game which require IOS56 and doesn't work with 57.

Hello Master Cyan, many years ago I installed the CIOs and played many, many games without any problems.
But with the newer mario kart wii mods, I am having problem with the game freezing.

I am using the latest CFG config loader.

The solution that gave me the modder of that game is to downgrade the version of the CFG config Loader that he uses and to update my Cios with d2x V 10 beta 52

I have read many, many guides over the internet and here, but I know you are the master of the Wii Modding, and just read what you said, I want a recomendation from you about what to do in my case.

My configuration of Cios that I have used many years without any problem is the following:

IOS 222 BASE 38 V.5.1
IOS 223 BASE 37 V.5.1
IOS 224 BASE 57 V.5.1
IOS 245 BASE 56 D2X V8 FINAL
IOS 246 BASE 38 D2X V8 FINAL
IOS 247 BASE 55 D2X V8 FINAL
IOS 248 BASE 58 D2X V8 FINAL

IOS 249 BASE 38 REV 17B
IOS 250 BASE ?? (R19)
IOS 251 BASE 57 D2X V8 FINAL
IOS 252 : NOT INSTALLED.

If you see the the most important IOS 249 and 250, I am still using an old version of Waninkoko and base 38 (in that time was the most stable base -38). Should I update them to d2x V8 FINAL with 249 base 57 and 250 base 56? and continue with the others IOS without changes? Because that configuration worked for my for many years, I am a little afraid from changing it in order to play the newest mario kart wii mods...

Thank you in advance.

P.D. (This thread should pinned, because it is very simple and practical to follow, and is updated not outdated as many of the "guides" from internet).

Last edited by xopitaking,
Reactions: panamex

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Should I update them to d2x V8 FINAL with 249 base 57 and 250 base 56?
yes, that's what I would have suggested.
I don't know if it will fix your issue, but it will prevent many others.

you don't need to touch or edit or replace or delete any other IOS slot.
if you want, you can even not touch any of your slot and add d2x v8 base57 in an empty slot (let's say 244 or 252) and set the loader to use that slot.
but, it's just better to replace 249 with it.

xopitaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
yes, that's what I would have suggested.
I don't know if it will fix your issue, but it will prevent many others.

you don't need to touch or edit or replace or delete any other IOS slot.
if you want, you can even not touch any of your slot and add d2x v8 base57 in an empty slot (let's say 244 or 252) and set the loader to use that slot.
but, it's just better to replace 249 with it.

Cyan, as always, you are the master in modding the Wii. This time you replied my question in just a matter of a couple of minutes!!! Many thanks, I always read your threads very useful in my opinion, you should make a simple guide on CIOs installation in very few steps, or why not if it possible, post your syscheck from your Wii so many of us can just see what configuration you use and copy them and avoid asking and asking many and repeated questions to you.. (its just an idea)

Many thanks master Cyan.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
my Wii is a mess lol, I'm still on 3.2E with all the corresponding official IOS still having trucha bug unpatched (I can use IOS36 without installing 236), and missing some IOS I never needed.
My setup is in no way a model, it could brick some consoles (due to (c)IOS compatibility with newer consoles)

I made few guides (in fact, lot of them) scattered all around the forum and lost in time :(
I'm trying to "rescue" them, by linking to them on my wiki page.
look at the bottom:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Cyan

Last edited by Cyan,

xopitaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
my Wii is a mess lol, I'm still on 3.2E with all the official IOS with trucha bug, and missing some IOS I never needed.

Really, I just wondered you had all your Wii CIOs updated with all those brand new d2x!!! but I was wrong..........

I need an advice, if in the future I plan to use the vWii on my WiiU, I should stay on d2X V8 FINAL or upgrade to d2x V10 Beta 52?

Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
on vWii, only v10 is working.
d2x v8 final was updated to v10 because of the WiiU release.
v9 was in beta state and not ready for being the v8 successor, but seeing vWii required an update to even work, and v8 couldn't be named "v9" as it already existed as beta, so it became v10 (which is NOT an update of v9).
the v9 beta was also updated to work on vWii, but instead of being renamed to v11 beta, it was named alternative, as it was an updated v8 but with different features.

you now have choice from v10 (project commit revision 52) and v10-alternative (project commit revision 53).

v10 is v8 with vWii compatibility
v10-alt is v9 (beta) with vWii compatiblity (still a beta, still has some issues, not recommended)

Last edited by Cyan,

xopitaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
on vWii, only v10 is working.
d2x v8 final was updated to v10 because of the WiiU release.
v9 was in beta state and not ready for being the v8 successor, but seeing vWii required an update to even work, and v8 couldn't be named "v9" as it already existed as beta, so it became v10 (which is NOT an update of v9).
the v9 beta was also updated to work on vWii, but instead of being renamed to v11 beta, it was named alternative, as it was an updated v8 but with different features.

you now have choice from v10 (project commit revision 52) and v10-alternative (project commit revision 53).

v10 is v8 with vWii compatibility
v10-alt is v9 (beta) with vWii compatiblity (still a beta, still has some issues, not recommended)

Wow!!! I never stop learning from you........I always had that question about whats wrong with the d2X V9 that never existed........Really, really appreciate your commitment to this great forum!!!

Many thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
v9 tried to add support for more than one USB Port (actually, only 2).

v9 added partial : Port1 support, and plug and play
it created issues with other features and game compatibility so it was never officially released.

when v10 and v10-alt was released, everybody (read : every noob) thought "latest = better ! let's create guide telling people to install r53!", it's hard to make people understand that last = beta :(

v10-alt is not useless, it has its own features and use, but users should understand why they use it and what is wrong with it.

Last edited by Cyan,

xopitaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
v9 tried to add support for more than one USB Port (actually, only 2).

v9 added partial : Port1 support, and plug and play
it created issues with other features and game compatibility so it was never officially released.

when v10 and v10-alt was released, everybody thought "latest = better !", it's hard to make people understand that last = beta :(

Yeah, beta is never better!!!

Thats why I just keeped with the V8 latest final version, and just waiting for the v10 FINAL version to arrive (just hoping davebaol realease it someday!)

panamex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi Cyan, I have read many of your threads and I am a little confused:

In one thread you said:

d2x v8 (or v10) base 56 : 90% of games. Usually installed in slot 249
d2x v8 (or v10) base 57 : 1% of games. Usually installed in slot 250
d2x v8 (or v10) base 58 : 8% of games. Sometime installed in slot 251

So my question is:
-Should I install d2x V8 base 56 in slot 249 or
should I install d2x V8 base 57 in slot 249, as you said in this post?

Thanks

Last edited by panamex,
Reactions: xopitaking

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always wanted to know why we use IOS57 as a base. I was under the impression that contained within each new "official" IOS, were the features of every IOS before it. So that by the time we got to IOS58, it had the features of all the previous IOS's, plus any NEW features that were specific to IOS58.

So why don't we use base 60, 62, or even 70?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
-Should I install d2x V8 base 56 in slot 249 or
should I install d2x V8 base 57 in slot 249, as you said in this post?

Thanks

base 56 has good (90%+?) compatibility and is slightly faster (negligible) than 57
base 57 has even better compatibility but it was said that some games requires base 56 though I don't know which
base 58 added usb 2.0 support but have worse compatibility but is required for some musical games

so the most general (historical) setup is base 56/249, 57/250, 58/251 and switch according to games requirement or you can simply set 57 as default since it has best compatibility.

Note: if you were on WiiU/vWill, you have no choice but d2x v10/v10-alt

I've always wanted to know why we use IOS57 as a base. I was under the impression that contained within each new "official" IOS, were the features of every IOS before it. So that by the time we got to IOS58, it had the features of all the previous IOS's, plus any NEW features that were specific to IOS58.

after the above, do you still believe "contained within new "official" IOS, were the features of every IOS before it" ? ios 59 was designed just for one game with HDD support...
It was also said you need ios38 for Animal Crossing if you want keyboard support.
ios 60,70,80... are ios for the system menus (just like 20,30 .. for older system menus), there is only one user ever reported to use ios80 as base and said it works great, but I am skeptical... a system menu ios for gaming??
You can always try it out yourself as you can reinstall the cios as you wish, just don't touch the stock ones. There are not like any new game with new requirements after the "historical setup"

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
57 has been required for few games, such as Call of duty, just dance, (and I never remember the other ones)
56 is only needed for Spiro (and not for the game, but for the USB Portal accessory detection only, the game works fine without it if you use base57), I don't know any other games requiring IOS56 but I don't play them, I don't know all games.

base58 is special, as it already contains USB2.0 driver from nintendo, it's not using cIOS open source USB driver (which is not that good in fact), and keep using the USB2.0 from nintendo.
having the official USB driver from nintendo, it has more compatibility with hardware, but IOS58's other features are less compatible with games not requiring that IOS.

a lot of games officially require IOS 36 or 38. rarely they require IOS58.
some games officially require IOS57, which probably has some specific feature, and that's why they don't work on other base.

Just install base57 in slot249, and 56 in 250
or
install 56 in 249, 57 in 250, and in the loader tell it to use slot250 to use base57 by default.
only set a game to base56 if it doesn't work with base57

base 58 is probably never really needed. it can be used as rescue, if nothing else works.

Reactions: xopitaking

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not all slots have an IOS in them, and some have an IOS with an app bundled with them (System Menu.) Some are just shared content like safety screens, etc.
IOS 60 and 80 are System Menu IOSes. You could use those as a cIOS base.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.