Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't really mind reading sites like Kotaku, Polygon, and the like. The politics don't bother me, nor do the opinions or "corruption" within them. I follow them on twitter and really only click on their articles when one that interest me comes up, which is how I got into doom mods like Ancient Aliens, or how I found out Nine Inch Nails is releasing the Quake 1 OST on vinyl. Maybe I'm a special case or something but I've never seen how all this corruption or bad journalism is really something that's so awful that it spawned dumb internet "protests" like whatever Gamergate was.
Politics in gaming don't bother me. Sites pile Polygon and Kotaku.com had some interesting articles. I just hate how they pretended to care about gamergate and their article on it. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another to be fake about it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That explains everything alright.
Yeah sorry that I don't think gaming journalism of all things is something worth screaming at people online over. I don't read articles to see what some whiny liberal says about them, I just read them to look at the games and what's in them. If I actually legitimately gave a shit about the quality of the review I wouldn't have read things like GameInformer years back.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Politics in gaming don't bother me. Sites pile Polygon and Kotaku.com had some interesting articles. I just hate how they pretended to care about gamergate and their article on it. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another to be fake about it.
Do consider that gamergate was targeting them as examples of awful journalism because of the whole Zoe Quinn shit. Bad journalism has been a thing for years though, Kotaku and Polygon haven't been doing thing that sites like Gamespot, IGN, GameTrailers, and so on haven't been doing for years, yet it only got flak because of the political opinions of it's writers and some of the (admittedly fucking moronic) articles people like Patricia Hernandez would post.

I personally don't have much of a problem with it though because I see Kotaku and Polygon more as a website that hosts blogs written by the individual writers, which is what they are most of the time, and why they're either unprofessional or end up going on more personal tangents. I think the only time I've legitimately been mad about a Kotaku article was when Nathan Grayson misquoted my boyfriend and painted him as an aggressive turd burglar instead of someone who disagreed with something, but that's more because of the weird edgelords who dogpile on people for having different opinions rather than any issue on Kotaku's side per se. It got resolved in a couple hours after we emailed him so it's all good. Mistakes happen.

Reactions: Kioku and DarthDub

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
On that note, they also released Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii way back then with:
  • 128 all-new levels on a gigantic world map
  • Remixed and original graphics, themes and music
  • The return of a classic Power-Up
  • New and old bosses and enemies
  • Fun with 1 to 4 players, just like the original game
Newer Super Mario Bro. DS is their latest release with:
  • 80 all-new levels on 8 world maps
  • Original and ported graphics and sounds
  • The return of a classic power-up
  • New and updated game mechanics
  • A brand-new soundtrack featuring old and new hits
These are really dedicated people. I appreciate all the work they've done.
I won't post any links here as Nintendo is too sensitive to their 1st party titles.
Just follow the link above or the ones posted on gamespot.
Also, I don't think they (the newerteam) host ROMs on their website as they only offer the patch so you'll have to find the ROMs elsewhere.

On topic:
You know what's more cringey? Games journalist who doesn't even know how to play games.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
On topic:
You know what's more cringey? Games journalist who doesn't even know how to play games.

Ok, enough about that one. It was an old guy who REPORTS on video games and happened to try a genre for his very first time, stop trying to make him look bad. Besides the video, his actual report was very good and so are others by that guy!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, enough about that one. It was an old guy who REPORTS on video games and happened to try a genre for his very first time, stop trying to make him look bad. Besides the video, his actual report was very good and so are others by that guy!
Plus like who cares? I don't really think it's all that bad that the guy was bad at the game or something. I don't get on to my mother for not being good at games like PSO2, Mega Man Zero, and so on. While some criticism can be dismissed depending on whether or not they were playing the game wrong (IE complaining about weight limits in games like Armored Core while using very light legs that can't lift anything, and incredibly heavy weapons), someone's review is not totally worthless or the reviewer themselves stupid just because they weren't good at the game. I think people care way too much about this and use it more as an excuse to shit on reviewers. Take the Polygon Doom footage for example.

Reactions: ThoD

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On that note, they also released Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii way back then with:
  • 128 all-new levels on a gigantic world map
  • Remixed and original graphics, themes and music
  • The return of a classic Power-Up
  • New and old bosses and enemies
  • Fun with 1 to 4 players, just like the original game
Newer Super Mario Bro. DS is their latest release with:
  • 80 all-new levels on 8 world maps
  • Original and ported graphics and sounds
  • The return of a classic power-up
  • New and updated game mechanics
  • A brand-new soundtrack featuring old and new hits
These are really dedicated people. I appreciate all the work they've done.
I won't post any links here as Nintendo is too sensitive to their 1st party titles.
Just follow the link above or the ones posted on gamespot.
Also, I don't think they (the newerteam) host ROMs on their website as they only offer the patch so you'll have to find the ROMs elsewhere.

On topic:

They don't host roms, that the point I made., and the link for NSMBDS is on the front page of GBATemp right now under news.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
You shouldn't attempt to show the gameplay of a game if you can't play the game. It's like being a guitar player and make hundreds of mistakes while playing Stairway to heaven and then justify yourself that you don't play those songs. Either practice or let someone else more capable do it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't attempt to show the gameplay of a game if you can't play the game. It's like being a guitar player and make hundreds of mistakes while playing Stairway to heaven and then justify yourself that you don't play those songs. Either practice or let someone else more capable do it.
False equivalence. Playing a song for an audience and reviewing something are two different things.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Plus like who cares? I don't really think it's all that bad that the guy was bad at the game or something. I don't get on to my mother for not being good at games like PSO2, Mega Man Zero, and so on. While some criticism can be dismissed depending on whether or not they were playing the game wrong (IE complaining about weight limits in games like Armored Core while using very light legs that can't lift anything, and incredibly heavy weapons), someone's review is not totally worthless or the reviewer themselves stupid just because they weren't good at the game. I think people care way too much about this and use it more as an excuse to shit on reviewers. Take the Polygon Doom footage for example.
Not knowing the game and not knowing how to play games are entirely different. The former can be fixed by playing through enough of the game prior to review so you can have a justified experience. The latter really can only be fixed by experience. Watching people that can hardly aim a gun play first person shooters or people that struggle through tutorials shouldn't be allowed to review IMO. It detracts from the overall opinion. Then you've got IGN...

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They don't host roms, that the point I made., and the link for NSMBDS is on the front page of GBATemp right now under news.
To be perfectly honest, they are hosting the ROM's CONTENTS, so while not ROM itself, it is at least part of it along with the patcher...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not knowing the game and not knowing how to play games are entirely different. The former can be fixed by playing through enough of the game prior to review so you can have a justified experience. The latter really can only be fixed by experience. Watching people that can hardly aim a gun play first person shooters or people that struggle through tutorials shouldn't be allowed to review IMO. It detracts from the overall opinion. Then you've got IGN...
I disagree. I'm not good at games like Starcraft 2, but I think I could do a proper review of the game, and it's mechanics, and I could reasonably explain why I find the game unappealing. Also, what about buggy, laggy, or just flat out poorly designed tutorials? If they don't get through them well, should they still review it?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. I'm not good at games like Starcraft 2, but I think I could do a proper review of the game, and it's mechanics, and I could reasonably explain why I find the game unappealing. Also, what about buggy, laggy, or just flat out poorly designed tutorials? If they don't get through them well, should they still review it?
If the game is bad or has some issues, that's one thing. When I watch you fail a double jump due to poor timing or movement, and then turn around and blame it on the game? I have to question you. I'd be willing to bet your skills in SC2 would be more than enough to best a fair chunk of these paid reviewers.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the game is bad or has some issues, that's one thing. When I watch you fail a double jump due to poor timing or movement, and then turn around and blame it on the game? I have to question you. I'd be willing to bet your skills in SC2 would be more than enough to best a fair chunk of these paid reviewers.
Not really. I can't really manage base defenses for shit in the game or know how to counter anything, despite being the world's biggest turtle in C&C Generals and Zero-K. Controversial as it may be to hold such a point, and as unintended of an outcome as it might be, I personally welcome awful skill in reviews, because it demonstrates how easy it is for someone with no experience or very, very little in the genre/game to pick it up and learn far better than a paragraph about it's simplicity ever could. I think people are too harsh on the reviewer and on reviews with lack of skill, and don't look at the bigger picture and how harmless they really are.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not really. I can't really manage base defenses for shit in the game or know how to counter anything, despite being the world's biggest turtle in C&C Generals and Zero-K. Controversial as it may be to hold such a point, and as unintended of an outcome as it might be, I personally welcome awful skill in reviews, because it demonstrates how easy it is for someone with no experience or very, very little in the genre/game to pick it up and learn far better than a paragraph about it's simplicity ever could. I think people are too harsh on the reviewer and on reviews with lack of skill, and don't look at the bigger picture and how harmless they really are.
That's a fair point, but I've seen reviews where points are taken off due to the 'player' misunderstanding simple concept. Let me rephrase.. I think a reviewer should be competent in their reviews and skills. They don't have to be "pro" level by any means.. They just have to have played games before and understand what they're looking at.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a fair point, but I've seen reviews where points are taken off due to the 'player' misunderstanding simple concept. Let me rephrase.. I think a reviewer should be competent in their reviews and skills. They don't have to be "pro" level by any means.. They just have to have played games before and understand what they're looking at.
I disagree to a certain extent, and agree to another. Lemme elaborate.
To the extent I disagree, I think a review should be the reviewer's thoughts and experience with the game, rather than just a measure of how well the mechanics and general package are. I'm the kind of guy who likes reviews with no point scores or numbers or anything of the sort, just straight up walls of text about the game. When I see someone's review and it has them struggling to even play the game, I find it a bit more interesting than normal playthroughs and reviews, like DSP for example, because it gives you an idea of what other people who aren't super good at or enthusiasts about a game play like. I'm very, very strange in this regard though so don't take this as me speaking on behalf of or trying to govern a majority.

To the extent that I agree, I think that anyone trying to determine the skillful value (such as the competitive nature of the game and how balanced it is) should definitely be skilled in it. That doesn't mean that someone being unskilled means a game is imbalanced (IE C&C Generals) or that someone is skilled, therefore them cheesing mechanics to get past broken characters and mechanics means the game is balanced (IE if they said Melee was balanced for competitive play because HOOOO IS IT NOT).

I think it's one of those things where it comes down more to personal standards. If their review is that bad, I just won't really pay much attention to it. The only time I've ever really gotten up in arms about a review being legitimately bad was when the reviewer was intentionally playing the game wrong and shitting on the game for it. I can link you the video (and my comment) in question if you're really all that curious.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I disagree to a certain extent, and agree to another. Lemme elaborate.
To the extent I disagree, I think a review should be the reviewer's thoughts and experience with the game, rather than just a measure of how well the mechanics and general package are. I'm the kind of guy who likes reviews with no point scores or numbers or anything of the sort, just straight up walls of text about the game. When I see someone's review and it has them struggling to even play the game, I find it a bit more interesting than normal playthroughs and reviews, like DSP for example, because it gives you an idea of what other people who aren't super good at or enthusiasts about a game play like. I'm very, very strange in this regard though so don't take this as me speaking on behalf of or trying to govern a majority.

To the extent that I agree, I think that anyone trying to determine the skillful value (such as the competitive nature of the game and how balanced it is) should definitely be skilled in it. That doesn't mean that someone being unskilled means a game is imbalanced (IE C&C Generals) or that someone is skilled, therefore them cheesing mechanics to get past broken characters and mechanics means the game is balanced (IE if they said Melee was balanced for competitive play because HOOOO IS IT NOT).

I think it's one of those things where it comes down more to personal standards. If their review is that bad, I just won't really pay much attention to it. The only time I've ever really gotten up in arms about a review being legitimately bad was when the reviewer was intentionally playing the game wrong and shitting on the game for it. I can link you the video (and my comment) in question if you're really all that curious.
That's the takeaway. It's all opinions. Mine is that I tend to ignore most reviews as I prefer to gain opinion by playing it myself. I don't mind reviews. I guess I just expect an odd standard when it comes to them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr