Gaming My XBX1X came this morning but is this normal

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what you don't seem to understand is that Xbox One X patches are dozens of gigabytes in size, which only happens if there is large amounts of texture files being downloaded. There are dozens of Xbox One X enhanced games yet you seem oddly fixated on Gears to try and prove a point that's inconsistent with observable fact?

Higher quality textures are not present by default on Xbox One discs. It's not like PC where the game has high quality assets packaged with it. That is why the patches are dozens of GBs -- because it's downloading higher quality textures, likely the ones you'll find on PC. I can't speak on Gears specifically, but I can on plenty other titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Gears is likely no different. Go watch any Digital Foundry video or even do a smidgen of research into what's downloaded on Xbox One X's "4k patches."
you seem to be fucking fixated on fucking textures when youve seen one game that has had its textures recreated.

majority will not, end of the day its base textures are created at hi resolution and then compressed, the graphic engine is set to run textures at a set quality that doesnt impact performance.

then for xbx1x is a patch to increase the graphic setting so that textures run at its highest setting.

and fyi, the 103GB is not textures, the 4K update is not 103gb..... back to my fucking point, shitty XBX1 users are forced to download a game rather than install off the fucking disc they paid for.

dont sit there watching some n00btube video when a dev claims they recreated textures at 4x its original size, because using TR as you said, the devs said exactly the same as the PS3/PS4 version and guess what....... PS3 version had exactly the same textures as seen in the PC version....... but THE FUCKING PS3 ENGINE RAN THEM AT A LOWER QUALITY!

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100gbs?!
Holy shit, the disc seems useless.
That amount of stuff would take a week to download on my internet connection.
yup can never think of an update being 103GB, this took me over a day to download and its shit when its a launch console and all you want to do is play, this was the reason i got rid of the xbone when it first launched.

and to be fair the game wasnt that great either, rather short and lacking a story

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
100 GB damn son. I know 4K textures take a fuck ton of space but damn
Are the NICs in the new xbox and the MS Server able to handle all the downloads?
Just got a 360 and took over an hour to download 6 GB
I can do the same on steam in like 20 mins.

Not so much the size that worries me, more the speed of the downloads.

I don't know if you already stated in this topic but what are your normal speeds?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other games like Quantum Break required 94.70GB before playing. Keep in mind that Microsoft’s download system isn’t the most reliable. While Halo 5 needed only 15GB for enhanced 4K functionality, we had to download the entire game all over again which was close to 100GB. The same applied to Gears of War 4. Despite Microsoft claiming you need to download just 26.93GB, we had to download the full game all over again. We noticed this to be a recurring theme with games developed by Microsoft — with Forza 7 and Halo Wars 2 requiring us to download them all over again on the Xbox One X, instead of the patch of 32GB and 17.89GB respectively.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Devin,

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amen to that, been my point from day one having the xbx1x.

ms love to waste your hdd space forcing us to download digital versions of the game we own on disc, makes no sense at all, but hey after all it is fucking microsoft who still cant release a reliable fucking operating system.

yes i point at its recent fucking W10 update that forces all your file types to open with microshites default apps and you then have to go manually applying it all again.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
GoW4 took me around 3 hours on my One X, guess it depends on net speed to MS server. It's actually faster than downloading things off Sony's sever on a PS4 Pro for the same size, no idea why.

But yea the OS itself is problematically crappy on Xbox.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GoW4 took me around 3 hours on my One X, guess it depends on net speed to MS server. It's actually faster than downloading things off Sony's sever on a PS4 Pro for the same size, no idea why.

But yea the OS itself is problematically crappy on Xbox.
The new update has improved a lot.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, really. The new dashboard is way faster and stable than the old one.

My problem is that, although my PS4 Pro system UI could have lagged sometimes especially when I'm download a game while playing another, which could have max out the bandwidth of the HDD, 99% of the time it does not give up on me. X1X however, system is very unstable at this point (not sure about the past, just got my first Xbox last week). My game could crash for no reason with latest patch on newest system fw (Quantum Break for example, which can be considered as an old game and should be stable at this point). Sometimes, the Xbox button was pressed but the system menu does not show up (I think it's there as my game screen was dimmed, but it's not visible nor does my buttons work), I can only hard reset the machine and the booting is slow no matter is power save or not compares to PS4 or Switch. I've lost my game progress and saves multiple times. My GOW4 save on Live disappeared for no reason etc. (I've never lost my cloud saves on PSN, and only have 2 game crashes within so many years that I have my PS4.)

The hardware is really good even compares to PS4 Pro, but software? not so much. And regarding the 4K UHD playback, my Bravia TV could be better streaming unless my content is 4K BD which the TV couldn't do.

Last edited by _______,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem is that, although my PS4 Pro system UI could have lagged sometimes especially when I'm download a game while playing another, which could have max out the bandwidth of the HDD, 99% of the time it does not give up on me. X1X however, system is very unstable at this point (not sure about the past, just got my first Xbox last week). My game could crash for no reason with latest patch on newest system fw (Quantum Break for example, which can be considered as an old game and should be stable at this point). Sometimes, the Xbox button was pressed but the system menu does not show up (I think it's there as my game screen was dimmed, but it's not visible nor does my buttons work), I can only hard reset the machine and the booting is slow no matter is power save or not compares to PS4 or Switch. I've lost my game progress and saves multiple times. My GOW4 save on Live disappeared for no reason etc. (I've never lost my cloud saves on PSN, and only have 2 game crashes within so many years that I have my PS4.)

The hardware is really good even compares to PS4 Pro, but software? not so much. And regarding the 4K UHD playback, my Bravia TV could be better streaming unless my content is 4K BD which the TV couldn't do.
Hmm, that's not normal. I don't experience those issues on my xbox. Try a factory reset. It'll redownload the latest dashboard. The worst mine does is forget my wifi when I unplug it. Everything is fast and stable.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works and isnt yet banned, mine got banned yesterday
  • A @ anotherthing:
    The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @StatusN, welcome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Had a question on 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    will one still be able to transfer pokemon from the ds 3ds games to Switch
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Supposedly Bank isn't going down.
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    i know they are @anotherthing but i modded m y 3ds last month and i installed pretendo but as my 3ds got banned i need a friend seed to unblock my 3ds
  • A @ anotherthing:
    You got banned from Pretendo?
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    online ban
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @anotherthing I think Nintendo should have just re released all pokemon games on the switch
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    let you transfer it all
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    bank got shutdown in april last year
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones (remakes don't count)
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone does then thanks
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I refuse to get Nintendo Switch online
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    until they add pokemon mainline games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could very easily do so
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i meant that they got rereleased in virtual console in 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini