n2DS ntrboot without magnet?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by blueYOSHI, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:55 AM.

1. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Switzerland
    Hi, so I just bought a new 2DS and got a 11.4 firmware (so close ;-;) and wanted to get CFW for which I need a Flashcard which im going to buy (R4iSDHC GOLD Pro 20XX). Apparently I need a magnet to force the Sleep Mode, however, the Sleep Mode is already activated before it's completely closed so there's a little bit of space left to press buttons and I managed to hold Star + Select + X + Power for several seconds without Sleep Mode turning off. So, do Are there more buttons I need to press? Couldn't find any when scroling through the tutorial. Do I still need a magnet? Could something break if Sleep accidently deactivates?

2. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    The magnet is needed to trigger sleep mode whilst the n2DS is open so you can do the button combo.

3. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Switzerland
    Sleep Mode is possible without, you can try it out yourself, just close it it very slowly and it activates the Sleep Mode before the two pieces touch each other. I'm just curious if I still need it for other purposes or if that's just not possible ebcause I don't know why.

4. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    You won't be able to install b9s without a magnet. I just tried it on my N2DSXL and there is absolutely no way that you could press the buttons like you described. Either my fingers are too fat or your sleep mode trigger is weird.

5. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Switzerland
    Yeah, didn't do the X button with my finger but rather with my SD adapter, I heard it clicking and it definitely felt like the button is pressed. Did Start & Select with my fingers, my hands (and so fingers) aren't too big :P

Last edited by blueYOSHI, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:32 AM
  6. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    WOuldn't work anyway since your console has to be OFF and has to BOOT INTO SLEEP MODE which is impossible without a magnet. You can't boot NTR from the console when it's on. That's the whole point in finding the sweet spot before putting the FLashcard in, otherwise you could just use the magnet right then.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I have installed B9S twice with no magnet, and used paddlepop sticks and a butter knife to hold the buttons. It can definitely be done. You really need an assistant though.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You don't use fingers

E1ite007, VinsCool, ThoD and 2 others like this.
  8. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Switzerland
    Ok, thank you ^^

Nah, I think I rather buy a magnet then ^^'

9. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    You might not need to buy a magnet. If you have a loose speaker the magnet in it might work. Alternativately you might have a refrigerator magnet that might work.

Last edited by tedmg091309131, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:14 PM
  10. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Fan

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    as
    long as you can trigger sleep mode and press all the buttons at the same time you are fine

11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    use the top of another 3ds (yeah i once installed ntrboot for a buddy using my n3dsxl as the magnet . . . because my fridge magnet would not work with his 3dsxl)