Homebrew [N3DS exclusive] ScreenInfo.3dsx by SciresM -- check IPS or TN

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I've always thought my n3ds xl was dual IPS since I've constantly copare it with other 3ds'es and my screens doesn't fade like the others. However, this homebrew slapped the TN on my face, twice.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User

owble tn... and I was wondering why my battery life is great...

Btw what is brighter- tn or ips? And can I replace the screens with other screens- like ips oled? Are there sites which really sell such stuff?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Ryccardo would you consider making a cia version of this homebrew please ?
there is a tool posted here for converting them https://gbatemp.net/threads/cxitool-convert-3dsx-to-cia-directly.440385/#post-6656757

Why convert if you can cleanly and easily build from source?
And well, 2 hours after your post, why do it at all if there's 3DSident? :)

owble tn... and I was wondering why my battery life is great...
How much difference in power efficiency is there between tn/ips at the same brightness setting, same software running doing the exact same stuff, same clock speed, same wireless status, and equal battery capacity (!!) is very questionable...

And can I replace the screens with other screens- like ips oled? Are there sites which really sell such stuff?
Nintendo doesn't have any Oled screens made for them, good luck finding anything not made specially for the 3DS that is compatible (they're called capture cards :D)

Reactions: peteruk
D

Deleted User

Why convert if you can cleanly and easily build from source?
And well, 2 hours after your post, why do it at all if there's 3DSident? :)

How much difference in power efficiency is there between tn/ips at the same brightness setting, same software running doing the exact same stuff, same clock speed, same wireless status, and equal battery capacity (!!) is very questionable...

Nintendo doesn't have any Oled screens made for them, good luck finding anything not made specially for the 3DS that is compatible (they're called capture cards :D)

I dont think so. If you watch at how much of your phone/pc/tablet/whatever power drains by the screen- youll understand... in my first smartphone (xperia x8) the screen used 40%~ of the whole power the phone used. I just now checked and in my current phone its 28%, and I played gta and youtube vids since the morning. Both combined arent as much as the display itself... well maybe there wont be huge diffrence but it should be noticable

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound mean to the original topic post creator and this isn't directed at specific people, but this starting to turn into a negative post. I'm sure the intention of the app was just to inform user which screen the systems are using, then people find out they have the one people consider more inferior which to me is not supposed to make people upset. So this IPS screen, looks better and drains battery faster, TN looks less vibrant and saves more battery. It doesn't stop you from playing the game, that is what matters. Why is it necessary to obsess with something that is coonsidered a luxory not a necessity to be honest, were not even sure was supposed to happen. To me it seem like perhaps a acciden't to get miss matched screens or even using IPS, perhaps they had them lying around and the other ran out of stock and they just used it till they can get more. Who knows, we sure don't know if any of this was intentional.

Is like as if stops you from playing the game or using the system as it is intended. It still works, it still can be enjoyed and played. If it was a visual issue i guess by a optical doctor then perhaps i can understand. But is a mystery why this is even a thing of relevance. I understand the demand to having good quality visuals, but if nintendo taught me anything is that impressive viusals are less important than gameplay. Not saying it isn't important at all, just not as important. But is all opininon based i guess so i'm expecting backlash.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not to sound mean to the original topic post creator and this isn't directed at specific people, but this starting to turn into a negative post. I'm sure the intention of the app was just to inform user which screen the systems are using, then people find out they have the one people consider more inferior which to me is not supposed to make people upset. So this IPS screen, looks better and drains battery faster, TN looks less vibrant and saves more battery. It doesn't stop you from playing the game, that is what matters. Why is it necessary to obsess with something that is coonsidered a luxory not a necessity to be honest, were not even sure was supposed to happen. To me it seem like perhaps a acciden't to get miss matched screens or even using IPS, perhaps they had them lying around and the other ran out of stock and they just used it till they can get more. Who knows, we sure don't know if any of this was intentional.

Is like as if stops you from playing the game or using the system as it is intended. It still works, it still can be enjoyed and played. If it was a visual issue i guess by a optical doctor then perhaps i can understand. But is a mystery why this is even a thing of relevance. I understand the demand to having good quality visuals, but if nintendo taught me anything is that impressive viusals are less important than gameplay. Not saying it isn't important at all, just not as important. But is all opininon based i guess so i'm expecting backlash.
What the bloody hell are you on about? OP made a useful tool to confirm something that quite a few users have been wondering for some time. Why complain it's "negative" (Btw, it isn't negative, you're only seeing it at negative.) OP should be thanked, not criticized. What utter rubbish.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the bloody hell are you on about? OP made a useful tool to confirm something that quite a few users have been wondering for some time. Why complain it's "negative" (Btw, it isn't negative, you're only seeing it at negative.) OP should be thanked, not criticized. What utter rubbish.

I wasn't complaning to the OP, it wasn't directed at him. All he did was make a homebrew, i was talking about how people are disappointed about finding weather they are using TN or IPS screen. Not the person who made the homebrew or the homebrew itself. Is a opinion based statement and i said is my opinion that this is turning negative that people are now able to find out for sure what sceens it has and people would find if it has TN may be disappointed. Besides that was a statement based on observation. It was my perspecitve, is fine if no one agrees, but look at the commnts of people reporting their screen says TN on it.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIP, I misread something in the old tests I guess because double TN on my n3ds :(. Oh well, at least they look better than my o3ds screens.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come various N3DS models don't have one kind of screen? TN screens, IPS screens, both in one console. Cost thing? I never really cared if mine was IPS or TN, but this is pretty helpful in case I get asked. Top Screen: IPS. Lower: TN.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's pretty amusing. IPS master race have that status out of luck - and the differences between the two types are pretty negligable during real world use.

I think that the type of person on these forums - someone naturally inclined towards tinkering / modding etc - will understandably perhaps boot the 3dsx of this and cross their fingers that at least their top screen is IPS - but I'm sure in their hearts they know that it doesn't matter.

But maybe it's easy for me to say this as I have two N3DSs - the regular one I keep in userland and use as a MAME player on train journeys is double TN - but my main one - an A9LH XL is a double IPS. The thing is that I always assumed the 'superior' screened one was a TN and sometimes think looks worse because the screens have a higher disparity in their colour temperatures. My launch day O3DS and launch day N3DS both seem to have better panel calibration, and I'm pretty sure the average person would look at the them and think - if pushed - that they both have better screens than the double IPS.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add - my double IPS XL is a Euro Animal Crossing one (the cheapest new and untouched one I could find)..

Last edited by SG6000,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I wasn't complaning to the OP, it wasn't directed at him. All he did was make a homebrew, i was talking about how people are disappointed about finding weather they are using TN or IPS screen. Not the person who made the homebrew or the homebrew itself. Is a opinion based statement and i said is my opinion that this is turning negative that people are now able to find out for sure what sceens it has and people would find if it has TN may be disappointed. Besides that was a statement based on observation. It was my perspecitve, is fine if no one agrees, but look at the commnts of people reporting their screen says TN on it.
People are entitled to feel. This bullshit of "Omg no negativity you guise" is utter rubbish. Nobody's flaming anything, shit is just fine and dandy.

Last edited by dimmidice,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How come various N3DS models don't have one kind of screen? TN screens, IPS screens, both in one console. Cost thing? I never really cared if mine was IPS or TN, but this is pretty helpful in case I get asked. Top Screen: IPS. Lower: TN.
because nintendo, being a large company that manufactures craptons of 3ds consoles, sometimes has to get their parts from various sources. one can only guess that at some point, they ran into a bottleneck with the tn screens they intended to use, forcing them to buy stock from samsung or something. and since they're still doing mixed screens so far down the line, they either bought a crapton of stock at discount, or thought that, as a backup, it makes sense to regularly buy a few thousand screens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water