Hacking N4I Gold Plus.. ntrboot.. bricked.. not working.. please help

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will say sory now.. i am sure you guys have been asked this a million times but nothing is helping me..

I just got the R4I gold plus.. I have a bricked 3DS that i have had for ages. I beleive it become bricked while trying to install cfw.. but can not be sure.. I believe I have a nand backup but do I really need it?

the problem is I have followed lots of tutorials but nothng is working.. I get a blue light come on and stay on, sometimes goes off.. and a black screen.. nothing.. I have tried over and over but this fu£$ing thing. what am I doing wrong?

please help If you can..

thank you

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If the blue light turns off immediately after doing ntrboot that means you're missing boot.firm from the SD card (but the process was successful, ie the cart is flashed properly and you did the button combo right).

If it goes into sleep mode (and the home menu appears when you remove the magnet - or maybe the blue light just stays on with black screens if bricked) either the cart is not flashed properly or you're doing the button combo wrong.

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had to watch a youtube vid to get the button combo right.
please explain ? Link to video..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If the blue light turns off immediately after doing ntrboot that means you're missing boot.firm from the SD card (but the process was successful, ie the cart is flashed properly and you did the button combo right).

If it goes into sleep mode (and the home menu appears when you remove the magnet - or maybe the blue light just stays on with black screens if bricked) either the cart is not flashed properly or you're doing the button combo wrong.

The later happened to me.. as it is bricked.. I have the R4i gold plus.. I have flipped the switch to N.. is there anything else I need to do to prep this flashcard? Also what is the button combo? As in I hold start select and x.

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the video.. I do exactly that. I have tried different SDcard's. different file's from various location's numerous tutorials and watched loads of vid's on youtube etc.. still nothing.. all I get is a blue light and a black screen.. tried so many times. really pissing me off. only thing I can thing is that the magnet I have is weak.!!

Reactions: Jayro

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i am grateful bro but I have tried many many things.. I cant get it to work.. orderd a better magnet.. will try then and post back.

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bro.. I have fridge magnets but as all of the other shite I have tried it does not work.. there needs to be a tutorial for bricked consoles.. as in not a blue but a dead black screen with blue light.. maybe I have messed up with the files somehow.. tbh I ain't got a clue what I am doing.. I have read so much that it contradicts eachother etc..

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Bro.. I have fridge magnets but as all of the other shite I have tried it does not work.. there needs to be a tutorial for bricked consoles.. as in not a blue but a dead black screen with blue light.. maybe I have messed up with the files somehow.. tbh I ain't got a clue what I am doing.. I have read so much that it contradicts eachother etc..
For a bricked console, you install B9S and then chainload into GodMode9, and either do a ctr transfer, or if that doesn't work, then do the Lazarus script. However, if you can't get into SafeB9SInstaller, no unbrick guide is going to help you. Either you just need to work out what you're doing wrong, or there's hardware damage.

By the way if ntrboot was successful (but boot.firm on the SD card was corrupted or missing or couldn't be read) the blue light would go on then off. The fact that it stays on means ntrboot was not successful (either magnet in wrong place, or button combo not done properly, or cart is not flashed properly).

What have you read that contradicts something else? Anything you read in 3ds.guide will be correct, stuff on forums could be outdated (check date of message), anything on youtube is likely to be outdated, and any non-gbatemp articles have a good chance of being wrong.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For a bricked console, you install B9S and then chainload into GodMode9, and either do a ctr transfer, or if that doesn't work, then do the Lazarus script. However, if you can't get into SafeB9SInstaller, no unbrick guide is going to help you. Either you just need to work out what you're doing wrong, or there's hardware damage.

By the way if ntrboot was successful (but boot.firm on the SD card was corrupted or missing or couldn't be read) the blue light would go on then off. The fact that it stays on means ntrboot was not successful (either magnet in wrong place, or button combo not done properly, or cart is not flashed properly).

What have you read that contradicts something else? Anything you read in 3ds.guide will be correct, stuff on forums could be outdated (check date of message), anything on youtube is likely to be outdated, and any non-gbatemp articles have a good chance of being wrong.
Gbatemp is not the holy site of correctness. There has been much misinformation over the past months and saying that other sites than gbatemp have a good chance to be wrong is bullshit.
Recent YouTube tutorials are unlikely to be outdated.

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By the way if ntrboot was successful (but boot.firm on the SD card was corrupted or missing or couldn't be read) the blue light would go on then off

this has happened a few times.. I will try again today.. I will reread the guide and follow exactly.. and report back.. I dont have much faith

this has happened a few times.. I will try again today.. I will reread the guide and follow exactly.. and report back.. I dont have much faith

UPDATE..
I jumped on 3ds guide.. read and reread.. says nothing about bricked consoles.. nevertheless.. I it says if you have a pre flashed flashcard move to the next step.. I have the R4I gold plus.. this flashcard is preinstalled isnt it? then say put these files on the 3ds sdcard.. I do all that and get the same result.. the guide is for unhacked consoles.. am I following the wrong guide?

snoogy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
omg I got it going.. how shameful... the ribbon that connects the sdcard slot was not connected.. I was not to know.. it was my cousin who bricked this I am just trying to get it up and running for my brother..

its alive.. however.. after I put luma boot on it.. it reads "an error has occurred" " failed to mount CTRNAND" I presume this is due to the fact that the nand is corrupt..

what can I do from here?

thank you

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
omg I got it going.. how shameful... the ribbon that connects the sdcard slot was not connected.. I was not to know.. it was my cousin who bricked this I am just trying to get it up and running for my brother..

its alive.. however.. after I put luma boot on it.. it reads "an error has occurred" " failed to mount CTRNAND" I presume this is due to the fact that the nand is corrupt..

what can I do from here?

thank you
As above, I also told you what to do before :-p

Gbatemp is not the holy site of correctness. There has been much misinformation over the past months and saying that other sites than gbatemp have a good chance to be wrong is bullshit.
Recent YouTube tutorials are unlikely to be outdated.
Random sites that are run by people not in the scene and not checked by people in the scene have a greater chance than the site where most people in the scene regularly check.
GBAtemp forum posts can be outdated which is why I suggest looking at the date. They are, however, unlikely to be outright wrong without anyone commenting such on the thread (as people from the scene frequent gbatemp they are likely to notice something wrong and say something, or get the original poster to update their post).
Forums and articles and other written material can be updated when things change. So they are less likely to be outdated than youtube videos, which cannot be updated once published, they are set in stone. It makes sense if you take a second to think about it.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Random sites that are run by people not in the scene and not checked by people in the scene have a greater chance than the site where most people in the scene regularly check.
GBAtemp can be wrong which is why I suggest looking at the date.
Forums and articles and other written material can be updated when things change. So they are less likely to be outdated than youtube videos, which cannot be updated once published, they are set in stone. It makes sense if you take a second to think about it.
I remember last november when everyone here (and on 3ds hacking discord) thought that r4i-sdhc.com does not have timebombs while even the shop blog pages with their shady comparison tables had a "maybe" for timebomb.
Youtube videos themselves can't be updated easily, but the description can be updated and there are infocards. In addition to that stuff like ntrboot tutorials won't be outdated or majorly different in half a year.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I remember last november when everyone here (and on 3ds hacking discord) thought that r4i-sdhc.com does not have timebombs while even the shop blog pages with their shady comparison tables had a "maybe" for timebomb.
Youtube videos themselves can't be updated easily, but the description can be updated and there are infocards. In addition to that stuff like ntrboot tutorials won't be outdated or majorly different in half a year.
If everyone here thought something and it was wrong, do you really think another website is going to know the truth? If we don't know something, there's no chance another site will. If they did, someone would see it and report here.

As for youtube videos. Which people are more likely to watch a video. Those with good English (or whichever language the video is in), or someone with poor English? People watch videos because they find reading difficult. Changing the description isn't going to help those people. And then there's people who are just lazy (another group who would prefer to watch videos than read). They would likely not bother looking at the description. All in all updating the description is not going to help the majority of people who look at videos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1