• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New California

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You never had Trump before. And that forest fire and subsequent flooding was exceptionally nasty so some people may have taken note.
What does any of that have to do with a New California? Trump is the president. I'm pretty sure it's similar in Canada, but there is a balance of powers in the US Government. Trump would have almost nothing to do with splitting the state in two. The people who want to split the state in two usually claim that it is because the northern and the southern parts are extremely different culturally which is absolutely true. I'm sick of people blaming Trump for everything.
Also, I'm not sure what the forest fires have to do with a state splitting in two. We get bad fires every year. This one was a little worse than usual because of the landslides and the location.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really not the fault of the government, that's more the fault of all the Silicon Valley multimillionares that settle there for the scenery and drive property values through the roof with their mansions

Were it not for that being such an issue, I wouldn't mind living there, but as it stands, it's not viable ATM.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really not the fault of the government, that's more the fault of all the Silicon Valley multimillionares that settle there for the scenery and drive property values through the roof with their mansions
That's part of it, but part of it is local government's zoning laws.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not refuting the nicety of living there, it's just so damn expensive >.>
In the original quote you sarcastically wrote "Yeah, what a great place to live." I just wanted to say it non-sarcastically.

Tbh, I don't even think it's that expensive. If you're renting, then yeah, a chunk of money goes into rent. Rent is crazy here. If you own a house, and I mean own it not be paying it off, it's not too bad.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the original quote you sarcastically wrote "Yeah, what a great place to live." I just wanted to say it non-sarcastically.

Tbh, I don't even think it's that expensive. If you're renting, then yeah, a chunk of money goes into rent. Rent is crazy here. If you own a house, and I mean own it not be paying it off, it's not too bad.
Really, though, that just is a great illustration of the "'boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness"

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way new California will happen, at least with the borders suggested.

Everything gets taxed, everything is deemed as causing cancer, taxes on gas, taxes on those taxes.
I'm not sure how taxes are where you live, but just taking a quick look at California's income, property, and sales tax rates, I would say they are pretty darn reasonable. Cost of living is high in some areas, but it's not because of taxes, at least not state level taxes. Maybe some of the individual cites have some ridiculous things going on like San Francisco, but most of California the cost of living is comparable to the rest of the west coast. Heck, Portland and Seattle are actually more expensive than a fair number of the large cities in California.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god I can't even look at the news anymore... It's like people have completely lost their damn minds. The problem sounds like a problem in regards to proper representation, and that's not because of some tyrannical leader, but a problem with the public and their decisions during elections. And the leaders of this new decent don't seem to realize that the high taxes and environmental restrictions are good in the long run. Meanwhile, these asshats complain about tax increases and environmental restrictions, as well as, call a publicly elected leader "tyrannical" and they have no presentable solution to the supposed problem. Sounds like some partisan bullshit to me!

If you think the reaction is bad.. You should look up some of the reactions and comments about Obama. x.x;

After all Texas was threatening to secede almost every other week unless they needed something, then asking washington for it.

Last edited by Tigran,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)