Nintendo begins banning pirates from 3DS online service

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with that. Ive been online with my 360 for the past 3 years with the last CFW and never had banning issues at all and played games online including destiny. It depends on the console

Last I checked nobody was singled out, was just a general statement

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I been backtracking throughout the whole topic i didnt see anything about custom firmware. Im gonna buy the new nintendo 3ds zelda version end of this month. I was getting ready to order my sky card but i paused until i can get for sure info
You won't be able to use custom firmware on that version. It only works on firmwares 9.2 and below. If you're getting a system with a firmware higher than that then you'll need a Sky3DS. Get a private header and you'll be fine playing online with it.

Reactions: Margen67

Metalshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You won't be able to use custom firmware on that version. It only works on firmwares 9.2 and below. If you're getting a system with a firmware higher than that then you'll need a Sky3DS. Get a private header and you'll be fine playing online with it.

So just to confirm instead of the private header route i will buy games that require me to go online and offline games i can use SKY3ds and if i wanna play snes or ds games i need a R4 3ds. I was lucky and bought a used new 3ds and got a 9.9 firmware. but wait if i want to go online on the legit games it will update thus breaking my R4 right?

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I mean did they really think they could get away with going online with pirated shit?
Has the history of J-Tagged Xbox's and CFW PS3's taught us nothing?

Sounds like everyone with a flashcard just needs to flip that internet switch off and pray.
Yup, this is a 3ds/2ds related forum. Not really going to be taught much about the 3ds/2ds from a PS3. They are not very similar. Sorry for such a late post. I'm just doing some late browsing. But I can confirm that it is a header that causes it. I've used many private headers without consequence. I started injecting public/used headers and playing online. Not long before they disconnected me for 10 hours. But in all honesty, I should be allowed to play any backed up ROM I wish on MY device. After all, I own the games, I own the device, I own the rights. This is why I now play any games I want on my own server just to steer out of Nintendo's way. This isn't fair that they keep punishing people for playing their games on a different cart. (Yes, I know some people download them illegally... ) It's just a matter of time before Nintendo starts reporting pirates to their ISP's for illegally obtaining ROMS.

Zelec

Trophies
Website
timejump.lndyn.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just to throw my two cents in but, couldn't someone just generate their own private headers? or is it just a central control issue whereby it would be more obvious that it's a flashcard user?

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just to throw my two cents in but, couldn't someone just generate their own private headers? or is it just a central control issue whereby it would be more obvious that it's a flashcard user?
In order to gen a legit header, it requires hacking into Nintendo's servers to see all the used headers, then genning one that doesn't match any other. So, no unless you're hardcore lol.
EDIT: Note how useless that would be; this is Nintendo. They see you, you're getting banned forever.. Lol just kidding. You'll go to jail for manipulating a major Corporation's network system.

Last edited by Ruby Gloom,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to gen a legit header, it requires hacking into Nintendo's servers to see all the used headers, then genning one that doesn't match any other. So, no unless you're hardcore lol.
EDIT: Note how useless that would be; this is Nintendo. They see you, you're getting banned forever.. Lol just kidding. You'll go to jail for manipulating a major Corporation's network system.
Or you can rip one or use a public one. There's almost no disadvantage to using a public one...

flash_boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just use custom firmware for online and offline. No risk of ban at all.
How do you create a custom firmware for a game with .3DS-file that is unique for using it with Sky3DS?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or you can rip one or use a public one. There's almost no disadvantage to using a public one...
That would be except for the whole getting "banned thing" that this thread is about.

So if someone who actually CAN answer please could do that, can I safely play games with SKY3DS offline and buy cartridge for the one where I do play online?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I now play any games I want on my own server just to steer out of Nintendo's way. This isn't fair that they keep punishing people for playing their games on a different cart. (Yes, I know some people download them illegally... )
That's making the assumption that Nintendo knows full well that people already own the games. And considering that the people that do are the minority, this course of action is hardly unfair on their part.

After all, it is the risk you take for using a third party device...in general. Even apart from flashcarts. I'm not decrying the device or even piracy, but don't go calling it unfair when a company starts acting in the way they said they would right in their manual.

flash_boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But being banned is the one thing that is keeping me from buying the new zelda atm. So their anti-piracy strategy is actually making them lose money... It's kind of ironic.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But being banned is the one thing that is keeping me from buying the new zelda atm. So their anti-piracy strategy is actually making them lose money... It's kind of ironic.
I just downloaded the cryptofixed cia and it works perfectly in custom firmware

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The money they lose from this strategy is definitely so minimal that they'd barely notice, if the loss even exists at all. It's certainly less than a projected loss that would come with them ignoring the whole thing.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but you probably already know that .CIA-files doesn't work with SKY3DS, right? And I wan't to play that game online.
cia files are run from the sd card inside your 3ds. It only matters if your 3ds is 9.2 or below or not.

Your better off buying a used 3ds and setting up free custom firmware then buying a sky3ds anyway

flash_boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But does Gateway works with New 3DS?

I'm more thinking of buying a new New 3DS regular, get some new cool face plate and have two consoles to swap between (one for legit cartridge and one for SKY3DS). I have the black one atm with Xenoblade face plate. Looks like this:
xenoblade_chronicles_3ds_faceplate.jpg

But I liking this one with pokemon with red and blu transparent on a white one:
yqL9zzm.jpg

But if the ban disappears and I can play with Sky3DS offline it feels a bit overkill with two consoles. The "New" New Nintendo 3DS doesn't feel that "new", and With the NX around the corner I might wanna save my money. Hey better think of the environment to...

randomt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Gosh, I just made it through all 16 pages.
I still have a few question and would be grateful if anyone's able to answer them for me :)
A few stats first: I have AL9H with Luma3DS on the most recent System Ver. 11.2.0-35E and the most recent stable Luma3DS.

1.) So far, I have only been using legit CIAs which I have installed using FBI. I have used the online functions of Pokemon OR (I own AS) multiple times without getting banned. Do I need to worry about anything?
2.) I have seen that bans have only been for 15 minutes. Is that correct?
3.) I know the difference between legit and non-legit CIAs. Can I go online with non-legit CIAs without getting banned?
4.) Will I be banned if I play online with a game that isn't from my region? Bless HANS :)
5.) Worst case scenario of getting permanently banned: Is there any way to revert that with Homebrew or so?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Gosh, I just made it through all 16 pages.
I still have a few question and would be grateful if anyone's able to answer them for me :)
*snip*
1.) So far, I have only been using legit CIAs which I have installed using FBI. I have used the online functions of Pokemon OR (I own AS) multiple times without getting banned. Do I need to worry about anything?
Not as it stands, there is no indication that anyone has been banned for playing cia files, only for cheating online or using public headers on .3ds roms
2.) I have seen that bans have only been for 15 minutes. Is that correct?
no, there is apparently some 15 day bans, but i just got an instant perma ban for cheating on bad arcade (piece of crap game XD)
3.) I know the difference between legit and non-legit CIAs. Can I go online with non-legit CIAs without getting banned?
always possible, but so far there is no reports of any bans specifically relating to non legit cia files
4.) Will I be banned if I play online with a game that isn't from my region? Bless HANS :)
always possible, but so far there is no reports of any bans specifically relating to the use of out of region games
5.) Worst case scenario of getting permanently banned: Is there any way to revert that with Homebrew or so?
some reported tweaking the secureinfo file unbanned them....but for me this didnt work at all or nintendo stopped it from working.....either way, currently no

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: cvskid and randomt

Karuley

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question, there have been some rumors going around of people who got a pirated pokemon moon early got banned, is this true or?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?