Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

01b07c077f.png

Last year, Nintendo debutted its HackerOne program that involved giving a bounty of range of $100 - $20,000 to hackers that disclose their system exploits and vulnerabilities for the 3DS. Everyone thought it wouldn't work out for Nintendo, but just around last month the program was extended to include the Nintendo Switch too.

Just recently as you can see in the picture, three people were rewarded so far, however the amounts paid will not be made public. It seems as if a few hackers wouldn't mind giving out their newfound exploits for some easy cash, hopefully for the sake of the Switch hacking scene, it isn't the same with our own resident hackers.

A few examples of what information Nintendo is interested in receiving:
  • System vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo Switch
    • Privilege escalation from userland
    • Kernel takeover
    • ARM® TrustZone® takeover
  • Vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo-published applications for Nintendo Switch
    • Userland takeover
  • System vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS family of systems
    • Privilege escalation on ARM® ARM11™ userland
    • ARM11 kernel takeover
    • ARM® ARM9™ userland takeover
    • ARM9 kernel takeover

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Chary,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I would agree a bit there. But I know If I had the chance to be paid a bit for what I love doing, then I would go for it. But thats me.
You would be less hated as an official tester or quality control manager. You wouldn't be on our side, but people would know and respect that you're doing you job. The bounty was designed to get hackers to sell out. It's an attack on the scene, and they are playing into it. That's why they are considered traitors and get so much hate. Why not just offer them permanent jobs? Because it's not as effective as having them tear each other apart.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
thats dirty by nintendo. they just make people hate them even more. We love nintendo and we do buy their games, and they are not poor..so why do this?! Its idiotic...

Ok well, lets exclude nintendo..but hackers accepting?? that's even more idiotic and slimy imo!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't say I'm surprised, but hey, money speaks louder than actions, bribery always works :creep:
for some...yeah... maybe they need a real job??

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Those aren't snitches.
Their white hats who hack to expose security problems which will later benefit everyone.

You wouldn't mind your bank getting hacked by a white hat if it means your money would be stored more securely do you now?
this is switch, not bank acc.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
this is switch, not bank acc.

Nintendo has the right to defend their IP.
Circumventing copy protection is illegal.

Nintendo doesn't want their consoles hacked so people can pirate games and I support that thought.

And yes, it is the same thing.
Just replace "console" with "bank account"

You don't want your sensitive data hacked and exposed now would you?

Reactions: Deleted User

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I like how salty people are about this, talking about "our side", sellout and stuff like that.
As if anybody owes this "great" community anything.
And only because this "maybe" doesnt allow people to pirate games.

Last edited by nIxx,
Reactions: Lumince

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo has the right to defend their IP.
Circumventing copy protection is illegal.

Nintendo doesn't want their consoles hacked so people can pirate games and I support that thought.

And yes, it is the same thing.
Just replace "console" with "bank account"

You don't want your sensitive data hacked and exposed now would you?
Its not about rights and Actually its not the same.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused as to the people here saying that these white-hat hackers are bad people or "snitches". Tons of companies have been doing this for a while now. Bug bounty programs are becoming the norm, so it makes sense for Nintendo to jump on it to protect their systems.

Also Nintendo's program rules explicitly say they don't give payouts for publicly known vulnerabilities, so it's not script kiddies reading up on articles other hackers write and submitting it as their own. Nintendo almost certainly has people monitoring for public exploits all the time so they won't be able to sneak one by them.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I'm confused as to the people here saying that these white-hat hackers are bad people or "snitches". Tons of companies have been doing this for a while now. Bug bounty programs are becoming the norm, so it makes sense for Nintendo to jump on it to protect their systems.

Also Nintendo's program rules explicitly say they don't give payouts for publicly known vulnerabilities, so it's not script kiddies reading up on articles other hackers write and submitting it as their own. Nintendo almost certainly has people monitoring for public exploits all the time so they won't be able to sneak one by them.

Unfortunately a skiddie has already reported an exploit vector that was shared/discussed in what I can only assume was 'in confidence' with the person who discovered it.
No issues with a vulnerability being patched - just the potential for unscrupulous individuals to exploit the trust of others.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately a skiddie has already reported an exploit vector that was shared/discussed in what I can only assume was 'in confidence' with the person who discovered it.
No issues with a vulnerability being patched - just the potential for unscrupulous individuals to exploit the trust of others.
Was there? The only one I heard of was the one here which was independently discovered by multiple people already.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok im gonna say this again. If you dont know about the exploit, and someone reports it, they are not snitching on anyone! Get that shit out of here! Stop acting entitled. Do you know how to do this stuff? No? Then stop fucking complaining like you own the exploit. You are not entitled to any exploits people find. It annoys the shit out of me when I see this sort of shit. If you want it so bad, learn to do it yourself. It shouldnt be so hard if the "snitches" can do it huh? See how easy it is.
~Rant over

Reactions: Jonna

Isnou69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The entitlement of some of you guys here is incredible. Speaking of "our side" and "snitching". Bitch please. Yall dont contribute to the scene in any way but are salty as fuck when people choose to report their work to Nintendo for a paycheck.

I dont mind piracy on an older system or if those games are old... but yall want the Switch to succeed aswell dont you? I mean you should if you are interested in 3rd party support. So maybe start supporting the console atleast for the first 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: Toad King

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entitlement of some of you guys here is incredible. Speaking of "our side" and "snitching". Bitch please. Yall dont contribute to the scene in any way but are salty as fuck when people choose to report their work to Nintendo for a paycheck.

I dont mind piracy on an older system or if those games are old... but yall want the Switch to succeed aswell dont you? I mean you should if you are interested in 3rd party support. So maybe start supporting the console atleast for the first 1 or 2 years.

The Wii U was well into the second year when EA pulled out, so maybe support and buy switch games for the first three years or more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger