Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

01b07c077f.png

Last year, Nintendo debutted its HackerOne program that involved giving a bounty of range of $100 - $20,000 to hackers that disclose their system exploits and vulnerabilities for the 3DS. Everyone thought it wouldn't work out for Nintendo, but just around last month the program was extended to include the Nintendo Switch too.

Just recently as you can see in the picture, three people were rewarded so far, however the amounts paid will not be made public. It seems as if a few hackers wouldn't mind giving out their newfound exploits for some easy cash, hopefully for the sake of the Switch hacking scene, it isn't the same with our own resident hackers.

A few examples of what information Nintendo is interested in receiving:
  • System vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo Switch
    • Privilege escalation from userland
    • Kernel takeover
    • ARM® TrustZone® takeover
  • Vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo-published applications for Nintendo Switch
    • Userland takeover
  • System vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS family of systems
    • Privilege escalation on ARM® ARM11™ userland
    • ARM11 kernel takeover
    • ARM® ARM9™ userland takeover
    • ARM9 kernel takeover

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Chary,

MasterWindu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is about piracy and cheating. I had too many games of Mario Kart and Splatoon where I felt cheated. The Switch looks like a success for Nintendo. I'd rather get $1,000 to $20,000--for only demonstrating an exploit. Creating and maintaining an "ecosystem" is a lot. Especially for unpaid work.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have learned that hackers sending exploits into Nintendo could also fix one vulnerability but that they can also add in more vulnerabilities into the system, they might not mean to or that might be there reason but i know Sony left a vulnerability in 3.60 on PSVita, which helped with henkaku that was not in the Vita before 3.60.

so all in all companies cant fix everything without breaking something.

I learned the stuff from here maybe that you cant fix everything.

D

Deleted-355425

I wonder if Nintendo pay out for the same exploits that have been found before, if not then if someone finds one and its already been paid out for then the scene can have it ;p

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When i say pay out again i mean a small sum to keep a 'keep it quiet' payment,

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol