Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a neat idea, but time and time again I've seen products in the "make something irl to be used with a video game" category fail time and time again. Granted most of these products use games on mobile phones and were expensive. Maybe Nintendo can make it work, but I'm having my doubts, especially with the price.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming some sort of Switch software is bundled in, if you're paying $70 but need the joycons for... something.

I like the idea of getting kids into engineering and constructing at a young age, but cardboard, for as cheap and flexible as it is, isn't really the most durable material, especially if you're a kid who likes to fidget.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming some sort of Switch software is bundled in, if you're paying $70 but need the joycons for... something.

I like the idea of getting kids into engineering and constructing at a young age, but cardboard, for as cheap and flexible as it is, isn't really the most durable material, especially if you're a kid who likes to fidget.
I'm assuming most of the cost is in the software. I'm wondering if they won't allow for custom creations?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-diy-accessories-announced-price-release-date

the verge got a shot of trying everything out....the joy cons are indeed one impress pieces of tech. but the prices? no way. i can see kids getting board with the toy-cons very quickly and even damaging the during the build phase. in either case, a parent is left with expensive over priced card board. I question the choice of build material. i am sure nintendo could of used a 3d printed carbon based material instead. making them last forever. or probably the best idea should of been to team up with lego or kenex or both of them.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to type, "gaaa -snipped 5200 a- aaay"

as a joke, but now that I see many people are, ahem... "taking the piss" on this thing (Did I do the british right?) I'll say what I honestly think and feel...

I won't be getting it, but damn this is actually really cool!

Last edited by Issac, , Reason: Come on, that's exessive
Reactions: specht and ATofix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?