Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing. The Switch is a home console that has the option of portability. The Nomad wasn't a replacement for the genesis and nobody saw it as a 'Genesis V2'. I guess it is the marketing. Hm.

Oh it's entirely the marketing, because at the end of the day the two units are capable of accomplishing essentially the same tasks. Sega didn't even realize what a brilliant concept they truly had in the Nomad because they were only focusing on marketing it as a portable Genesis. Then with all their later systems being disc-based they never really had an opportunity to revisit the idea before dropping out of the console market.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty impressed by Nintendo. Back in March I would've called you nuts if you said the switch would do this well, yet here we are. Also quite a few people that I know that I never thought would buy a switch have bought one. I've enjoyed my switch so far and I look forward to what Nintendo has hidden up their sleeve for 2018.

Reactions: DarthDub

Stercate79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so glad Nintendo Switch is such a big success, otherwise, if it didn't, we would have seen Super Mario on the Playstation.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope that Nintendo doesn't cannibalize their own market. The Switch is great and all, but the type of games that they make tend to be stuck between providing a happy medium between portable and sit down gaming, which causes the Switch to do neither perfectly. Breath of the wild had 120 easily playable dungeons that lasted a few minutes or seconds for those on the go but didn't have enough meat to keep the couch gamers happy past the first 10 hours. Super Mario Odyssey had the same issue with the collectables being mostly low effort to unlock to break up the content for the gamer on the go and had nothing really to keep the couch gamer happy over a long period. This amalgamation of home console and portable will only lead to the player bases from both the portable market and the home console market being very unhappy if Nintendo continues to make the games like they do. And what happens should apple make a gaming division for the iPhone? and offer official supported Bluetooth gamepad that you can clip onto the device? The only reason people buy Nintendo consoles is for the exclusives, and once they start to dip inquality due to a console identity crisis, then what then Nintendo?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just hope that Nintendo doesn't cannibalize their own market. The Switch is great and all, but the type of games that they make tend to be stuck between providing a happy medium between portable and sit down gaming, which causes the Switch to do neither perfectly. Breath of the wild had 120 easily playable dungeons that lasted a few minutes or seconds for those on the go but didn't have enough meat to keep the couch gamers happy past the first 10 hours. Super Mario Odyssey had the same issue with the collectables being mostly low effort to unlock to break up the content for the gamer on the go and had nothing really to keep the couch gamer happy over a long period. This amalgamation of home console and portable will only lead to the player bases from both the portable market and the home console market being very unhappy if Nintendo continues to make the games like they do. And what happens should apple make a gaming division for the iPhone? and offer official supported Bluetooth gamepad that you can clip onto the device? The only reason people buy Nintendo consoles is for the exclusives, and once they start to dip inquality due to a console identity crisis, then what then Nintendo?
Talk about overthinking. Apple stepping into the gaming market better be more than some shitty clip. Phone/Mobile gaming is niche at best and useless at worst. Nintendo is slowly learning, but I can't agree with your generalization of their games. Breath of the Wild came before the Switch, so the comment about the shrines makes little sense. The collect-a-thon in Odyssey is just part of the completion side. Not even necessary to beat or enjoy the game. As a couch gamer, I found both to be rather enjoyable.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Xabring

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is true.

But a lot of people said the Switch was not doing well because it didn't have many games. Obviously this was not the case.
LOL
well isnt that the case of all 1month old console?
Give it time, it will get a great library

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
LOL
well isnt that the case of all 1month old console?
Give it time, it will get a great library
Also true.

I remember when I got the PS4 at launch, going "oh god what do we even do with this now that we have it, there's like 4 or 5 games and two of them are sports titles."

Actually I remember every console launch being like that.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also true.

I remember when I got the PS4 at launch, going "oh god what do we even do with this now that we have it, there's like 4 or 5 games and two of them are sports titles."

Actually I remember every console launch being like that.
;)

Reactions: Jonna

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this is what success looks like then I am glad for the Japanese businessmen, as someone what likes games and an easy life when it comes to playing them I am really struggling to appreciate the switch. Granted the market as a whole has been pretty lacklustre these last few years which gave me time to clear some of the backlog.

I'm so glad Nintendo Switch is such a big success, otherwise, if it didn't, we would have seen Super Mario on the Playstation.
Would that be a bad thing? That way you don't have to suffer Nintendo's weak attempts at hardware and can get a decent slice of gaming on your playstation at the same time.

Selling a lot of units and having a lot of games is not the same thing.
More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch.
How many of those are small indie games? Where are the commitments from all the big publishers? A handful of devs pulling the rerelease-o-tron handle on Skyrim and Doom as a token appeasement is not an opening salvo I am excited by.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm