Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
Stop fighting!

Monster hunter worlds
Ni no Kuni 2
God of war
Red dead redemption 2
Spiderman
The last of us 2
Soul Calibur 6
Scorn
Sea of thieves
A way out
Kingdom come deliverance
Far cry 5
Crackdown 3
Days gone
Yakuza 6
Ace combat 7
Metal gear survive
Shadow of the Colossus

These are some of the best games to look forward to next year that we know of, I don't know if any are on Switch and I don't care. The Switch will get games when it gets them until then stop being a soyboy and just enjoy all platforms and games.

Last edited by oxitran,

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, at least it's portable. The framerate drops are the price you pay for portability.
Why are we arguing about this again?
idk i said its a ded console. idk why people buy it. You
cant tell me People love these 168392 indie titles. and aaa content which is not PORTED OR REFRESHED WII U CRAP is like max 5 Fingers, and i do not buy a System for 5 Games.

cuz hes trolling
Sure.

Last edited by Zaiphon,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
idk i said its a ded console. idk why people buy it. cant tell me People lose these 168392 indie titles. and aaa content which is not PORTED OR REFRESHED WII U CRAP is like max 5 Fingers, and i do not buy a System for 5 Games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
I never counted nintendo console as part of Console Master Race
With nintendo, you rarely buy it for performance but for exclusivities unlike Ps4/Xbo

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
idk i said its a ded console. idk why people buy it. cant tell me People lose these 168392 indie titles. and aaa content which is not PORTED OR REFRESHED WII U CRAP is like max 5 Fingers, and i do not buy a System for 5 Games.
Ok, stop trolling before I... I... REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
idk i said its a ded console. idk why people buy it. You
cant tell me People love these 168392 indie titles. and aaa content which is not PORTED OR REFRESHED WII U CRAP is like max 5 Fingers, and i do not buy a System for 5 Games.

Sure.
You're trying too hard.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
splatoon lul, Arms megalul. Megaman. Maybe Xeno is good but the rest is likr a joke. mario and pokemon are fucking wii u ports but people eat nintendo poop if it stats new on the package.
God this is such a dumb argument. Nobody bought a WiiU. These games are brand new to 99% of Switch's audience.

Reactions: T-hug

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. The juiciest troll, the one that catches the most flies, the one that really gets them riled up, is the subtle jibe that leaves them wondering if it even was a troll at all.

What's classified as a "troll" nowadays was pure stupidity not too long ago. Trolls used to be fun.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
What's classified as a "troll" nowadays was pure stupidity not too long ago. Trolls used to be fun.

What I wouldn't give for some good ol' late 90's cyber, master-level trolling. When people first began to taste the anonymity of the internet and found it's awesome power to their liking. And unleashed the inner troll on a slew of fresh naive victims.

Reactions: Kioku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Good for them! Looks like all the 3 main consoles + Android phones are getting a ton of sales this generation. Even PC games aren't getting many scandals for inferior ports and locked FPS.

Let's hope that Nintendo will be more prone to small risks like making new games for the IPs we desperately want, instead of pulling a Valve and sleeping on their mountains of cash.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Good for them! Looks like all the 3 main consoles + Android phones are getting a ton of sales this generation. Even PC games aren't getting many scandals for inferior ports and locked FPS.

Let's hope that Nintendo will be more prone to small risks like making new games for the IPs we desperately want, instead of pulling a Valve and sleeping on their mountains of cash.
Yeah I'll be bold and say No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 are all games we desperately want. Then they only need to surprise us with Smash or Pokemon in 2018 to make it a complete success. Add in scores of third-party games (mostly from Steam is fine), done and done.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a shit game that takes 3 hrs to beat for 60 dollars is far better because the graphics are 4k? If you enjoy shit games, and I do mean shit games because the graphics are good. Why do you have anything other than a well built pc? All AAA titles are lackluster now. Halo series used to be a fun campaign with added bonus of multiplayer.....now with them as in almost all shooters you just get a 2hr shitty written campaign, with the exact same multiplayer that gets boring and wastes the day on literally nothing. If you think that's good gaming maybe you need to lay off the controller a bit. Because it's shit. And you know it.....I know it......most AAA titles suck. The only place to find multiple great AAA titles is Nintendo. As a whole they have the most titles that have the best gameplay and longevity based on the campaigns.
LOL, your fanboi is showing. First of all, I don't play casual games. It took me a while to finish Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, and after that, I have played Doom 2016, Ori And The Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, and Cuphead, all of which are excellent games, with varying levels of graphics. Games that are next on my list include Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein 2, and Prey 2017, just to name a few. And it is not just that PC can have better graphics and has superior framerates, it is also about the functionality, efficiency, and convenience. With an Nvidia GPU, I have a FREE gameplay capture app in Shadowplay, which unlike other video capture apps, utilizes the power of the GPU it is shipped with, so I NEVER have to worry about framerate dips while recording, especially since I stick with 1080p 60 fps. For the games that have it, I have access to numerous mods, which are easier to implement on PC than they would be on console, and more importantly there is little to nothing preventing players from using the mods, as opposed to consoles prohibiting players from using mods with their Terms Of Service. If I need to look up something on the internet, I can do it quickly by Alt+Tab'ing out. I can upgrade hardware components one at a time, instead of having to buy a whole new console/rig. Finally, Nintendo does not even need to still be making consoles. They still make good games, and with that, they can continue profiting just fine by releasing their games on XBox, Playstation, and PC. Even releasing games on Android and iOS would not be an issue, because the concept of controllers that attach to a tablet, have existed well before Nintendo decided to use it to make another underpowered console.

So no, I am not just pissed off that a Nintendo console has inferior graphics, I am also pissed off that, with a console, I have to jump through hoops that I do not have to with PC. Nintendo is the worst in this regard. Less than a handful of enthusiasts IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, have to make a dedicated capture card for a Nintendo console to be able to record gameplay to a PC. And these capture cards usually require an additional $200-$300 investment. And hackers have to spend years to hack a Nintendo console, for the purpose of building and executing mods. A few good games does not justify having to put up with all these inconveniences, because Nintendo really has no excuse to be making consoles anymore, and the only reason their consoles are still selling, is because there are still too many people who do not know any better. I was one of them, not too long ago. Like, only after getting my own 3DS capture card, I came to learn that the 3DS internal resolution is only 240p. 240p, in a time where 1080p monitors are the norm. Get that shit out of here, Shield Tablet's Tegra K1 GPU is pushing 1080p 60 fps easily, while Nintendo takes the superior Tegra X1, and STILL puts out inferior performance on their console.

Last edited by goldensun87,
Reactions: Zaiphon

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, your fanboi is showing. First of all, I don't play casual games. It took me a while to finish Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, and after that, I have played Doom 2016, Ori And The Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, and Cuphead, all of which are excellent games, with varying levels of graphics. Games that are next on my list include Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein 2, and Prey 2017, just to name a few. And it is not just that PC can have better graphics and has superior framerates, it is also about the functionality, efficiency, and convenience. With an Nvidia GPU, I have a FREE gameplay capture app in Shadowplay, which unlike other video capture apps, utilizes the power of the GPU it is shipped with, so I NEVER have to worry about framerate dips while recording, especially since I stick with 1080p 60 fps. For the games that have it, I have access to numerous mods, which are easier to implement on PC than they would be on console, and more importantly there is little to nothing preventing players from using the mods, as opposed to consoles prohibiting players from using mods with their Terms Of Service. If I need to look up something on the internet, I can do it quickly by Alt+Tab'ing out. I can upgrade hardware components one at a time, instead of having to buy a whole new console/rig. Finally, Nintendo does not even need to still be making consoles. They still make good games, and with that, they can continue profiting just fine by releasing their games on XBox, Playstation, and PC. Even releasing games on Android and iOS would not be an issue, because the concept of controllers that attach to a tablet, have existed well before Nintendo decided to use it to make another underpowered console.

So no, I am not just pissed off that a Nintendo console has inferior graphics, I am also pissed off that, with a console, I have to jump through hoops that I do not have to with PC. Nintendo is the worst in this regard. Less than a handful of enthusiasts IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, have to make a dedicated capture card for a Nintendo console to be able to record gameplay to a PC. And these capture cards usually require an additional $200-$300 investment. And hackers have to spend years to hack a Nintendo console, for the purpose of building and executing mods. A few good games does not justify having to put up with all these inconveniences, because Nintendo really has no excuse to be making consoles anymore, and the only reason their consoles are still selling, is because there are still too many people who do not know any better. I was one of them, not too long ago. Like, only after getting my own 3DS capture card, I came to learn that the 3DS internal resolution is only 240p. 240p, in a time where 1080p monitors are the norm. Get that shit out of here, Shield Tablet's Tegra K1 GPU is pushing 1080p 60 fps easily, while Nintendo takes the superior Tegra X1, and STILL puts out inferior specs on their console.

PC gaming has it's problems... For example my computer can't run Soul Reaver for whatever reason, it just crashes no matter what I do. And older games, yes you -do- have to jump through hoops buy using things like dos box and such. Please don't BS and state that computers are easier than consoles because that is just bullshit. Also do I have to remind you about always hearing about people having to alter config files or games actually performing worse on PCs... And don't bitch about them being bad ports... the simple fact is they still run worse.

Last edited by Tigran, , Reason: Added more.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So no, I am not just pissed off that a Nintendo console has inferior graphics, I am also pissed off that, with a console, I have to jump through hoops that I do not have to with PC.
This is objectively wrong. I love the fact that my PC is so flexible and customizable, but there's no question how much easier it is to setup and use a Switch.

The benefits of having a Switch are obvious: it's a portable console. Not even a laptop is truly a portable.

Last edited by Xzi,

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
PC gaming has it's problems... For example my computer can't run Soul Reaver for whatever reason, it just crashes no matter what I do. And older games, yes you -do- have to jump through hoops buy using things like dos box and such. Please don't BS and state that computers are easier than consoles because that is just bullshit.

Just emulate it on DC or get it on GOG.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs