Hacking NTRPack: PC-less b9s install using ntrboot

D

Deleted User

Standalone script runners don't run any of the scripts in the "gm9/scripts" folder. They have an "autorun.gm9" embedded directly into them. The only way to change their contents is to recompile GM9 with a new "autorun.gm9" in the data folder. It's possible that he forgot to put the checks into the copy of the script he used to generate the SSR, or that he's already fixed the SSR.
Ahhh that makes perfect sense. I haven't had much experience with GM9 scripting so I assumed from the fact that the scripts were there in the download that it would use those. Anyway, I didn't bother to look for any newer versions in comments, so I was using the current beta which didn't yet have any attempted fix for the secret sector checks. Thanks for the reply, sorry for my late response.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usage:
Use ntrboot using the magnet. It should launch gm9 and start running the install script
Once luma configuration appears, select "Show nand in system settings" and "Patch ARM9 access", press start
Open download play and set it to be .hb, then save.

Curious. Why are we patching arm9 access?

Last edited by OrGoN3,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just reread the guide here and noticed a couple of things.

1) Latest Luma doesn't even have the patch arm9 option in the config. iirc, it's enabled by default. Is there any specific reason why this pack isn't using the latest builds? In my setup there are never any issues initially loading HBC then using FBI.3dsx to install FBI.cia (or other homebrew directly from FBI's titleDB function)

2) The last statement about HBC being set to download play... doesn't that have to be set manually every time you cycle power? I can't bee 100% sure because I have hblauncher_loader installed (and it is ALWAYS set to launch HBC, whether you're using a version of Luma that has Rosalina or not. It just doesn't bother trying to use *hax if you have Rosalina)

I know that some people have a (IMHO... misguided) preference to keep unofficial stuff off of the home screen, but hblauncher_loader and FBI are 2 things that really should be installed for everybody.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just reread the guide here and noticed a couple of things.

1) Latest Luma doesn't even have the patch arm9 option in the config. iirc, it's enabled by default. Is there any specific reason why this pack isn't using the latest builds? In my setup there are never any issues initially loading HBC then using FBI.3dsx to install FBI.cia (or other homebrew directly from FBI's titleDB function)

2) The last statement about HBC being set to download play... doesn't that have to be set manually every time you cycle power? I can't bee 100% sure because I have hblauncher_loader installed (and it is ALWAYS set to launch HBC, whether you're using a version of Luma that has Rosalina or not. It just doesn't bother trying to use *hax if you have Rosalina)

I know that some people have a (IMHO... misguided) preference to keep unofficial stuff off of the home screen, but hblauncher_loader and FBI are 2 things that really should be installed for everybody.
For number 2 you can save the settings.

Reactions: urherenow

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love the idea of this, been testing out the 2.0 beta and have some comments about it.

The godmode9 firm is hardcoded so modifying the scripts in the gm9 folder don't do anything and have no use. This is more of a user customizable thing than a necessity, I added a few lines to the script to copy some splash images to the NAND but godmode9 does its own thing regardless.

The script checks for the secret sector at the very start, and since o3ds's don't have that the script refuses to run on those devices.

Other than replacing the stuff in the 3ds folder with updated versions and CIAs, it looks good and the script runs perfectly on my New 2DS XL. DSP firmware correctly dumped on the latest version (11.6).

An improvement I would suggest is making the godmode9 fork automatically boot a script from a file, instead of being hardcoded in, that way the user can make changes to the install script if they want.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love the idea of this, been testing out the 2.0 beta and have some comments about it.

The godmode9 firm is hardcoded so modifying the scripts in the gm9 folder don't do anything and have no use. This is more of a user customizable thing than a necessity, I added a few lines to the script to copy some splash images to the NAND but godmode9 does its own thing regardless.

The script checks for the secret sector at the very start, and since o3ds's don't have that the script refuses to run on those devices.

Other than replacing the stuff in the 3ds folder with updated versions and CIAs, it looks good and the script runs perfectly on my New 2DS XL. DSP firmware correctly dumped on the latest version (11.6).

An improvement I would suggest is making the godmode9 fork automatically boot a script from a file, instead of being hardcoded in, that way the user can make changes to the install script if they want.
I already know of many of those issues. I've been meaning to make changes but any free time I get now I tend to want to spend doing things I actually enjoy. I enjoyed making this at first but I dont have the desire to continue it anymore. I'll probably push out my final fixes and update the homebrew, but after that I don't know. If anyone wanted to pick up the project I would happily hand it over. Imo its a great concept I just lost interest in keeping it going. But I would hate to see it completely fade away. I still have the files somewhere with a couple modifications not pushed public if someone wanted to pick it up.

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already know of many of those issues. I've been meaning to make changes but any free time I get now I tend to want to spend doing things I actually enjoy. I enjoyed making this at first but I dont have the desire to continue it anymore. I'll probably push out my final fixes and update the homebrew, but after that I don't know. If anyone wanted to pick up the project I would happily hand it over. Imo its a great concept I just lost interest in keeping it going. But I would hate to see it completely fade away. I still have the files somewhere with a couple modifications not pushed public if someone wanted to pick it up.
Zip up what you have, then upload it somewhere like google drive or https://doko.moe/ and update the OP with it. It might also help to post the source to the godmode9 fork to github or include the source files in the zip.

What you have already with the 2.0 beta is good enough for me to use with just replacing your godmode9 fork with the latest release. That way I can run a version of the script without the secret sector check if I have to install on an o3ds.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zip up what you have, then upload it somewhere like google drive or https://doko.moe/ and update the OP with it. It might also help to post the source to the godmode9 fork to github or include the source files in the zip.

What you have already with the 2.0 beta is good enough for me to use with just replacing your godmode9 fork with the latest release. That way I can run a version of the script without the secret sector check if I have to install on an o3ds.
It isn't a fork of gm9. It's original unmodified source. It just has a special compile option that makes it run a script compiled into the executable.
I'll try to get everything I have uploaded tomorrow if I don't forget.

Reactions: trecko1234

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't a fork of gm9. It's original unmodified source. It just has a special compile option that makes it run a script compiled into the executable.
I'll try to get everything I have uploaded tomorrow if I don't forget.
Sounds great, and thank you for putting this all together! Feels good knowing I can hack people's systems with just sticking my flashcart and the flashcart's SD into their system :yay:

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Just letting you know that If, elseif, else, end and goto commands are now supported in godmode9 if that eases your life (I still don't know how to use those).

Last edited by MiiJack,

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/blob/master/HelloSpaghetti.gm9

Here's an example script with the new control flow methods. There's a lot of potential with this, but the easiest to start would probably making an if statement for checking n3ds or o3ds and if it needs to do a secret sector check.

Something like

if $ONTYPE "N3DS"
sha S:/sector0x96.bin 82F2730D2C2DA3F30165F987FDCCAC5CBAB24B4E5F65C981CD7BE6F438E6D9D
elif $ONTYPE "O3DS"

Last edited by trecko1234,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/blob/master/HelloSpaghetti.gm9

Here's an example script with the new control flow methods. There's a lot of potential with this, but the easiest to start would probably making an if statement for checking n3ds or o3ds and if it needs to do a secret sector check.

Something like

if $ONTYPE "N3DS"
sha S:/sector0x96.bin 82F2730D2C2DA3F30165F987FDCCAC5CBAB24B4E5F65C981CD7BE6F438E6D9D
elif $ONTYPE "O3DS"
I'm planning on that. Also going to make it attempt to copy over the replacement if it exists on SD. Else it will throw a warning but continue as it won't brick unless you made the console ofw again

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on that. Also going to make it attempt to copy over the replacement if it exists on SD. Else it will throw a warning but continue as it won't brick unless you made the console ofw again
All is this update talk just when I want to use it. Perfect. Let me know when you're ready!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: There is an actual trailer with footage too. lol. Going to watch it tonight. Grabbed it from...