• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

OBAMA IS PRESIDENT!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
In theory it actually sounds like a better system, it's not being left to people who know nothing about running a country to decide who runs it. Although like Bush showed, it's open to alot of abuse.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
What's the point of voting then when your vote doesn't actually count, and instead it's some other higher-up persons?
You misunderstand. It's not someone else's vote, it's just that all of the state's voting power goes to the candidate that wins the popular vote in that state. In my state, Obama won by about 3 to 1, so all of our electoral votes went to Obama, even though 1/4 of the people here voted for McCain. (those were last night's numbers BTW, the slow counties might have evened it out a bit by now)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 2000 election? Gore had about 300,000 more votes nationwide, but Bush got more electoral votes.

TrolleyDave said:
dudeonline said:
I challenge anyone to find a situation where the electoral college went againt the popular vote.

anyone?

Wasn't that the case with the last election or did I get it wrong?
No, Kerry was enough of a worthless douchebag to actually lose to GWB.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
dudeonline said:
I challenge anyone to find a situation where the electoral college went againt the popular vote.

anyone?

lmao Yeah, I never really liked him when watching all the propoganda over here. He struck me as being pretty slimey. Did it happen in the 2000 one you mentioned? I seem to remember that someone got more of the popular vote but Bush still got in.

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solid Like Barack!
laugh.gif

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
dudeonline said:

anyone?

lmao Yeah, I never really liked him when watching all the propoganda over here. He struck me as being pretty slimey. Did it happen in the 2000 one you mentioned? I seem to remember that someone got more of the popular vote but Bush still got in.

Yes, in 2000 Al Gore won the popular vote, amongst the people, but the electorial vote went to Bush, So therefore he won the Presidency

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
Yes, in 2000 Al Gore won the popular vote, amongst the people, but the electorial vote went to Bush, So therefore he won the Presidency

Nice one, cheers for clearing that up for me.

edit : Also, it's a shame Gore never get in. He struck me as being a bit boastful and a bit of an idiot but passionate and honest about his beliefs.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:
lmao Yeah, I never really liked him when watching all the propoganda over here. He struck me as being pretty slimey.
I've never felt worse about voting for someone than when I voted for Kerry. He sucked in every way he could, and he chose an ambulance chasing lawyer as his running mate, but I still had to vote "not Bush".

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:
lmao Yeah, I never really liked him when watching all the propoganda over here. He struck me as being pretty slimey.
I've never felt worse about voting for someone than when I voted for Kerry. He sucked in every way he could, and he chose an ambulance chasing lawyer as his running mate, but I still had to vote "not Bush".

Don't you guys have other parties you can vote for as well or is it just the two? In the UK we've got the 2 main parties and then a bunch of other parties that get votes but never get voted in.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:
TrolleyDave said:
Destructobot said:

Don't you guys have other parties you can vote for as well or is it just the two? In the UK we've got the 2 main parties and then a bunch of other parties that get votes but never get voted in.
the US mirrored england in its congressional setup soooo....we have a lot of diff parties but they only get niche votes (if youre on the extreme right/left)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, sounds pretty much the same as here except for the whole electoral college thing. Although with the state of the average Brits intelligence and common sense these days we could do with some kind of buffer that stops their votes counting!

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
Yep, sounds pretty much the same as here except for the whole electoral college thing. Although with the state of the average Brits intelligence and common sense these days we could do with some kind of buffer that stops their votes counting!

I thought it was similar in the UK, the fact there was no proportional representation?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
TrolleyDave said:

I thought it was similar in the UK, the fact there was no proportional representation?

I'm not really sure to be honest. I always thought we voted for our PM but I really don't know for certain as it's not really something I've ever paid that much attention to. All I can tell you for certain is that a party parades it's candidate and we vote on the party. You're probably right though. Remember to stay in school kids!

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Just looked it up, you vote for MP's for each region and the party with the most MP's, the majority becomes the controlling party and the party leader becomes Prime Minister.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: