Oculus Go, Oculus' Standalone VR Device Announced

oculus go.jpg
At the Oculus Connect keynote today, Oculus announced their standalone VR devie: the Pokémon Oculus Go.

Oculus' latest product is an all-in-one, 3DOF standalone headset with an orientation-tracked controller. No PC nor phone required! It will be compatible with software developed for Gear VR.

Here's an overview of the hardware:

Oculus Go is a standalone VR headset that comes with an orientation-tracked controller. It supports 3DOF head tracking, has best-in-class optics, a wide field of view, and fantastic ergonomics. Oculus Go has a high-resolution fast-switch LCD screen has a dramatic effect on visual clarity and reduces screen door effect. The headset is super lightweight, and the new fabric used for the facial interface is soft and breathable. Built-in speakers provide an integrated audio system that transports you straight into VR without needing headphones.

Because Oculus Go is binary compatible with Gear VR, developers working with the latest Mobile SDK (or recent Unity or Unreal integration) can run their applications on it without modification. The controller provides the same inputs as Samsung’s Gear VR Controller. Most apps can target the Samsung Gear VR and Oculus Go with the same application binary.

The Oculus Go will be available globally in early 2018 and will cost $199 USD, while Dev kits will ship in November. If you have a project in development that you’d like to add Oculus Go support to, apply for early access via the Oculus Hardware Request Form. Note that supply is very limited.

:arrow: Oculus Developer Site

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its literally standalone Gear VR, running the same games and apps, if you already have Gear VR, there would be no good reason to get this thing. I suppose there is probably some sort of market for this, but if you want high end VR, you're gonna want a Vive, or Oculus that connects to PC, or the PSVR. If you already have a samsung phone, and want something like this, then Gear VR will cost you considerably less for a very similar experience. And any other smartphone can also use Google Cardboard for similar experiences. $200 for a device like this is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. I guess its meant for a casual market thats really interested in the Gear VR library specifically, but don't have or want a Samsung phone. As an owner of an S7 and Gear VR, I can safely say that as of now, what is available for Gear VR does not feel like its worth the $200 entry point of buying a standalone VR device.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm more hyped for the Pimax 8K, which just started a Kickstarter campaign that looks promising (especially since it seems to get additional modules for foveated rendering, hand tracking and wireless image transfer).

I'm not convinced by mobile VR yet. And a standalone Oculus device probably won't change that.

Reactions: Xzi

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Nintendo ever do VR, I expect it would be something like this.
Honestly I'd expect something more like the HoloLens, or a untethered version of one of the Mixed Reality headsets. - you know, the ones that are balanced, and have a flip-up screen so you don't kill yourself by being literally blind.

Reactions: ByteBite

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Honestly I'd expect something more like the HoloLens, or a untethered version of one of the Mixed Reality headsets. - you know, the ones that are balanced, and have a flip-up screen so you don't kill yourself by being literally blind.
Did your mom teach you never playing video game while walking? Plus AR are just for show, it use reality as background so it limit the creative in video game and thus not suite for one.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm more hyped for the Pimax 8K, which just started a Kickstarter campaign that looks promising (especially since it seems to get additional modules for foveated rendering, hand tracking and wireless image transfer).

I'm not convinced by mobile VR yet. And a standalone Oculus device probably won't change that.
I'm in on the early bird for the 8K model. Have a GTX 1070 so it should run well.

This has been solved since day one with Vive/Rift chaperone boundaries. Of course, Valve had to open that up for use with Rift, Oculus didn't initially have it. Vive also has a front camera for passthrough.

Last edited by Xzi,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
$200 is suspiciously cheap for a standalone device. Either they're selling it at a 75% loss, or it's already outdated hardware. And unless there's some way to upgrade it, it will be obsolete even before it launches.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did your mom teach you never playing video game while walking? Plus AR are just for show, it use reality as background so it limit the creative in video game and thus not suite for one.
Why does it seem like everyone that defends VR, have to also put down AR in the process? Future AR, could replace almost every single screen, including TVs, and still be portable. With the added bonus of interacting and merging with reality.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm. i would buy one of these if they were 174.99. I have s gear vr but using it drains the phone battery too quickly. I bet this has as the same specs as the galaxy s6 or s7. Maybe even just under the s6. Don't need high specs when it isn't running a resource hogging os

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm in on the early bird for the 8K model. Have a GTX 1070 so it should run well.

Yeah, that should be fine. Even though I have a 1080Ti I'm still hesitating until there's more information, especially about the 8K X. I'd like my next VR headset (already got a Vive) to be future proof, but the 8K non X version has no means of displaying a native 2x4K image (only upscaled 2x1440p at best). Supersampling might be an option later on, but I'm not sure, how an upscaled supersampled image will look compared to a native image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?